Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Asking for a bit of advice from my Cooler friends.....I fly to BCN Nov. 8th. Last year, when I did so, I arrived so sick...horrible congestion, cough etc. The first three days of my cruise were terrible! This year, I've been loading up on Vitamin C, getting flu shot, have my hand sanitizer, handiwipes, and even got a recommended face mask....any tried and true suggestions??? Thanks...Penny

Penny, I assume the symptoms are not from allergies, but probably from exposure to germs, especially from cold sufferers on the airplane. If you are traveling Coach, my recommendation is to secure an isle seat. This is what I do, in order to minimize nearness to other people who may have a cold. I hope somebody else comes with another idea...

Penny......you've had exactly what I've had following the last two cruises and it's a right pain.. but at least l was home!

I honestly don't think you can do any more than you are.....l do the same but you never know what you pick up on the aircraft....hope others may have some ideas.

😊

Thanks All, very much appreciated.

Penny the most likely cause is simply the choice of airline and of course the length of your flight, in that all have different settings they set for air recycling. This is a bit of research that explains the problem which is unlikely to be preventable whatever you try to do except that you should leave your air vent on and having it point directly to your face as this creates a better barrier around your face.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/341533/5_OriginalResearch_AerotoxicSyndrom_ENG.pdf

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety/health/Documents/guidance-medical-response-cabin-air-events.pdf

Hear is a newspaper article and some tips for asthma sufferers that might help ....

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/846704/airline-secrets-plane-air-vent

https://www.asma.org/asma/media/asma/Travel-Publications/HEALTH-TIPS-FOR-AIRLINE-TRAVEL-Trifold-2013.pdf

Today a new toy arrived for the kitchen and I'm just making our first supper. Cream of muschroom soup.

81WzM1QXsPL._SX522_.jpg

BA are from recall better at recycling than many due somewhat to pilot and aircrew union pressure. Depending on what plane you are on should decide which seat to choose. If it is a forward cabin then sit as far forward as possible. The only other thing is lots of water to keep hydrated seems to help some of the feeling of being "blocked up".

Good luck.

Good afternoon all ....... and thanks for all the encouraging comments - re the results of the new kitchen toy! It's far better than I expected. Our appetitites get smaller and I'd been thinking that sometimes I really feel like something much less complicated and far simpler - ans some freshly made soup and some nice bread, but the thing turning me off was always cleaning the Magimix. I'd been thinking about the real self-indupgence of a Thermomix but I just think it too expensive and just couldn't bring myself to do it. So a soup maker that sautés fitted the exact bill ...... and it has a monster blender build in.

Cams, it was really not a recipe just an idea I had which worked very well. Smoked haddock, smoked streaky bacon, onions, a little turnip, some charlottes, fresh parsley, curry powder, veg buillon and milk. It took just over twenty minutes in total. It was good. :)

The dishes that you post look delicious also! I, too, have a cruise coming up. We sail from BCN on Nov. 10th.

Your meals onboard will be should be very special given the South American chefs that will be preparing their specialities...........

I understand that breakfast is a complete meal for some Europeans (not for Italians, Spaniards, and others). Somehow in the USA breakfast has changed to be very light as well (due to the rat race). So, for many years I've only had orange juice, coffee (strong PR) and fruit or crackers. I cannot see myself with this breakfast, although I'm sure it would be delish!!