Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

JP...it's a very good thing that you are young and fit! That kind of schedule would lay many people low (me for example). I vote to take Monday the 23rd off!

J...YUMMY! Beer looks so enticing, as does the food of course! :)

Mysty, no rest here. I'm doing every other week in ICU so I have a few nights this week where I am not on call. But I just did 8 nights in a row ending Monday night, and I'm back at it next Monday, until Sunday night.

Do you do your on-call from home? When I was very junior I did a 6 month elective on A&E (Emergency Room) where on-call meant, literally, being seconds away from the Dept so if there was a gap then it meant sneaking a few minutes in the rest area. Being the main A&E for a catchment of 500,000 meant Friday and Saturday shifts were non-stop. Each month we each would have one shift from 1600 hrs Friday to 0800 Monday. By mid-Sunday with no sleep and various drunks, accident victims and street brawlers dealt with it was almost impossible to remember my name never mind how to treat people! God help anyone who turned up on Sunday night.

That no longer happens thanks to a more enlightened system but some old-timers still hark back to the days of the 120 hr week (that is actually in the Dept.) as if it was somehow a good thing. All it teaches you is how to sleep standing up.

JP....I don't need that brutal schedule to feel old and cranky. That just seems to come naturally for me these days.

TTS.....those schedules sound like absolute torture for the doctors and maybe for some of the patients! Good thing they moved on to more enlightened thinking. Although JP's schedule seems to have a sepia-like tinge to your past experience!

G'Day All.......very blustery and cool today.....seems like we have the tale end of a hurricane skirting our shores....

DD and l walked the two miles around the outlet mall yesterday and boy don't l know it today....totally unfit!!

Off tomorrow to get the pics done for the India visa....apparently they have to have a certain background so it's not a booth job in Tesco!! Thankfully my TA is handling all the paper work through a company who deals with such chores...anything for an easy life!

Happy Weekend 😊

Greetings Coolers!

Miss S. It sounds like you got a real workout at the outlet mall. Hope you found some interesting buys! Yes, the visa pictures for India are very exacting. We needed to research a location here that could produce the photo as specified.

J...once again you have created magic with that meal. And that bread looks sooooo good!

I did yet another test of my workaround for photos. Our basement laundry area is unfinished. It is ground level to the back yard and the walls are partially covered with drywall. I hung a pendant from a nail just as a form of distraction and today I noticed that it created an interesting pattern on the wall. Here is my test photo:

DSC05166%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Have a great day all!

Cool pix, M and J!

The shrimp look delicious. We had leftover Thai basil chicken last night. Too lazy to cook. Will have to invent something tonight though...don't want takeout too many nights in a row before vacation!

TTS, regarding your former schedule...yes it has become more sensible but that is not without a downside. I did 24-hour on-call shifts as an intern, and worked until at least noon the next day. Of course if I had a choice I'd rather not do that (who would) but in reality it was not that bad; in some ways it was kind of fun to be in the hospital overnight. It was a different atmosphere.

As an intern you always had a senior resident with you and the senior resident did NOT do 24-hour shifts (they had a dedicated night shift resident for the month). So if you were too tired to think straight, someone had your back. But - you can generally handle one night without sleep when you are 20-something. I agree that a shift starting Friday and ending Monday can be just silly, and dangerous.

The residents now almost never do 24-hour shifts; fewer than one per month on average, always a Saturday night, and they have 24h off on Sunday immediately following. The PGY-1 interns always have dedicated night coverage so paradoxically, the situation is different from my residency where the intern worked longer hours than the supervising senior resident. Not sure which is better or worse.

However, patients still require care and patients don't know enough to only get sick during the residents' shifts. The upshot of restricting residents' working hours is that more of the work gets shifted to the attending staff. And, there is no limitation to how much or how long we can be on call. We have been working at 75% of our usual staffing level for over a year, so of course, we do every 3rd week on call instead of every 4th. There is no expectation that we could do otherwise, or that every 3rd is too much; we just have to do the work that needs to be done. Residents can't take more call than the law allows, but there is no law governing our hours as attendings. So when the residents are short-staffed, there are holes in their coverage schedule. Not ours! Pretty odd, I think, because my own ability to handle sleep deprivation is much worse now that I am 49, than it was when I was in my 20s.

But to answer your question, TTS - yes I take call from home and it's secondary call; the residents are in-house and take primary call. They call me for every admission to ICU and if there are questions, status changes, etc. Unfortunately most of them are not credentialed to do procedures (which is a dying art) so if someone needs a central line or another procedure, I have to go in and supervise/assist, because we have no chief medical resident to do that sort of thing. But along the lines of being older, it is harder to get back to sleep after a phone call so it only takes one wake-up call at 2AM to blow a night of sleep.

After a week, it can get pretty bad, but no laws are in effect to limit how much call I can take. And the VA does not pay you a dime of compensation for extra on-call time. I am doing a stretch of 3 every-other-week calls in a row to make up for the three weeks I'm away. So I have to be careful to get sleep on the in-between weeks or I will be toast next week. I made it through two of them so far and just need to get through next week...

Hi Both,

Tribbles!? Do I look like a trekkie? ;p

It had been playing on my mind for a while and today was the day and they had to be "done". But they aren't pakora or donughts and they have no name. So what I did was mix in bowl one a can of sweetcorn, finely chopped red onion and parsley stalks and a little chopped red chilli. In bowl two I made an unusual sort of batter with corn meal, durum wheat flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, sugar, egg and very cold pilsner. I mixed the two into a stiff mix and drop deep fried.

The small scratchings were initialy just an unwanted by-product but then I realised they were a sort of lovely snacklet with the beer. Wifey gobbled them all up as they came out of the deep fryer onto to kitchen paper. Had them with baby back ribs.

I'll b doing it again but making them much smaller if I can perfect the dropping technique.

Good morning........Jeff, they are corn fritters:D......I really don't eat fried food much at all anymore but I would LOVE to

try them:)

Thanks, you might make corn firitters that way L, but I make corn fritters regularly ..... and they are certainly sort of "fritters with corn in them" but they don't taste like anything I've had before because they have normally tended to be made with tasteless plain white wheat flour. They are somewhere between fritters, pakora, bhaji and donuts.

They tasted like a corn crispy doughnut when big and like corn "scraps" when small.

Greetings Coolers! Grey and gloomy morning here! Day did brighten with the fried tribbles...er... fried nibblets! :)

J...very creative culinary creation! Are you aiming for a one-bite version? They look awesomely yummy!

Greetings Coolers! Grey and gloomy morning here! Day did brighten with the fried tribbles...er... fried nibblets! :)

J...very creative culinary creation! Are you aiming for a one-bite version? They look awesomely yummy!

Wifey said that the small scaps version would be nice with some cold beer in summer with a ginger chilli sweet dipping sauce or perhaps just course sea salt as a grazing lunch in La Cucina. When small they kept their crunchiness and were really good. The batter would be nice with courgette flowers. They are more street food than sophisticated.

Mysty...l saw that on FB earlier and found so much truth in it!

It's been a lovely mild day here which enabled the kids and l to enjoy our humble breakfast al fresco at Starbucks this morning....l was actually quite impressed with their bacon butty!!

The India visa photo session followed with great success....l hope...even though l look like a convict from Holloway Prison!

Great looking fritters Jeffers....very tasty I'm sure......love corn.

Quiet weekend to now enjoy here :)