Princess or Hal

Sandi07054

With so many great responses, I won't dig into all the pluses and minuses.

I'll add our experience is we've sailed on both HAL and Princess and just last year did a HAL to Glacier Bay out of Seattle ... next year we'll be doing the Ruby Princess (a ship we sailed on previously) again to Glacier Bay.

The differences between the two are evident (demographics for example), but for us, being young 60-somethings, we find that our needs are met with both HAL and Princess. We also like the fact that both strive to be the cruise line of "YES" when we challenge them with a nit or a need.

Edited by Woodinville
typo

It is too early to get the 2019 docking schedule, to see who you will be sharing ports with. So that can't be the deciding factor :) What about the Volendam had you remove it from your list of "possibles"?

I don't have Volendam on my list because of the lanai cabins - don't think we would like that. We are looking at a private balcony and the suites with balconies on Volendam are quite a bit more than a balcony cabin on either Neiuw Amsterdam and Noordam.

I don't have Volendam on my list because of the lanai cabins - don't think we would like that. We are looking at a private balcony and the suites with balconies on Volendam are quite a bit more than a balcony cabin on either Neiuw Amsterdam and Noordam.

Got it! :) The Volendam is much smaller, and fewer balconies, so yeah that premium to move to a balcony is high.

We were on both Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam this year. The NA is somewhat larger, carries 300ish (???) (don't quote me on that) more pax than the Noordam.

They are more alike than different to be honest. When we were on the Noordam, though, we thought it was a bit "tired" or worn -- overdue for a drydock. And the drydock scheduled for Noordam for May 2018 has been deferred .... I don't know when it is going into drydock now. Surely, though, it would be before May 2019.

Again, don't quote me, but I think Nieuw Amsterdam just got drydocked recently, or is scheduled soon. When we were on, we saw nothing that made us think it was tired or worn.

Noordam WAS our favorite ship, until we went on the NA. I really REALLY like the NA, even though it is bigger than many of the other ships HAL has. Had a balcony on the NA, a Signature Suite on the Noordam.

The NA has the Tamarind Restaurant as one of the specialty restaurants (upcharge applies). The Noordam doesn't have that.

So there's the info I can give you. More alike than different. One sails Saturday, one sails Sunday.

IMHO the big difference MAY be how many other ships are in port with each of them. That won't be available for a while.

As long as Noordam gets drydocked before your sailing, I think either of them is a good choice.

Got it! :) The Volendam is much smaller, and fewer balconies, so yeah that premium to move to a balcony is high.

We were on both Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam this year. The NA is somewhat larger, carries 300ish (???) (don't quote me on that) more pax than the Noordam.

They are more alike than different to be honest. When we were on the Noordam, though, we thought it was a bit "tired" or worn -- overdue for a drydock. And the drydock scheduled for Noordam for May 2018 has been deferred .... I don't know when it is going into drydock now. Surely, though, it would be before May 2019.

Again, don't quote me, but I think Nieuw Amsterdam just got drydocked recently, or is scheduled soon. When we were on, we saw nothing that made us think it was tired or worn.

Noordam WAS our favorite ship, until we went on the NA. I really REALLY like the NA, even though it is bigger than many of the other ships HAL has. Had a balcony on the NA, a Signature Suite on the Noordam.

The NA has the Tamarind Restaurant as one of the specialty restaurants (upcharge applies). The Noordam doesn't have that.

So there's the info I can give you. More alike than different. One sails Saturday, one sails Sunday.

IMHO the big difference MAY be how many other ships are in port with each of them. That won't be available for a while.

As long as Noordam gets drydocked before your sailing, I think either of them is a good choice.

Thanks so much for this information! Very helpful and I think I am leaning towards the NA [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums