Princess or Hal

Sandi07054

Hello

Just starting to look at Alaska cruises. So much information out there that I thought I would first start with a cruise line. I see a lot of ads showing Princess is the best for Alaska

Can someone tell me a good starting point for my research on my first cruise to Alaska

Thank you all

Right here on Cruise Critic is a great place to start. I only took my first cruise ever this past May and it was to Alaska - I would guess the majority of any info I needed I found here. I went on Norwegian Pearl and had a great time.

I'm now looking at May '18 and have actually booked the Norwegian Sun for their 9-day cruise the last of May. I've been mulling over taking the 14-day HAL trip (neither of these two includes Glacier Bay which is a disappointment) but I'm thinking HAL is too formal for me - I don't care a thing about dressing up for dinner... I'll be on vacation, not there to impress anyone with what I'm wearing.

Just starting to look at Alaska cruises. So much information out there that I thought I would first start with a cruise line. I see a lot of ads showing Princess is the best for Alaska. Can someone tell me a good starting point for my research on my first cruise to Alaska.
There have been a number of folks asking the same question recently. You may benefit greatly from reading the replies they have received. Here's part of my reply to the most recent thread, prior to yours. I'm including it here for you because most of it gets directly to your question about Princess versus Holland America:
My spouse and I just went through the same decision process, and I can share with you the conclusions we reached based on the input we received here. Combine that with the input you'll receive based on your inquiry and hopefully your decision will be even more well-grounded than ours.

We decided that for us Glacier Bay was an essential part of an Alaska cruise. That limited the cruise lines in contention to Princess, Holland America and NCL. (Carnival does have a few cruises that include Glacier Bay, but not enough to have a chance of satisfying all the rest of our requirements.) I should note that I'm currently paranoid that due to a recent record fine assessed against Princess for illegal dumping, the NPS may withhold permission from Princess, and perhaps even the entirety of CCL (i.e., including Holland America and Carnival) to cruise Glacier Bay. I have no factual basis for this paranoia, though. YMMV. However, I think if we were deciding which cruise line to use now, we would have more seriously considered NCL (though I still think that they wouldn't have been able to satisfy the other requirements we had).

We were originally convinced that Princess was the way to go, but went with Holland America for several reasons, and despite one rather notable strength of Princess: After reviewing the available info, including trip reports and on-board newsletters, it seems that Princess has a bit more emphasis on having a naturalist on-board and presenting content all week, while Holland America doesn't seem to have that happening the whole cruise. (We've decided to make up for that lack by personal, pre-cruise reading.)

... To minimize airline flights... We were willing to forego what many profess are advantages to one-way cruises to Alaska for the benefit of round-trip cruises to Alaska, in this regard. Again, YMMV. Once you make the decision to go round-trip [though], the itineraries break down into two groups: With one group (the Seattle, SF or LA round-trips) much more of the cruise's sea days are spent exposed to the open ocean. With the other group (the Vancouver round-trips), the itineraries generally go up the Inside Passage and back down the Inside Passage, and are only exposed to the open ocean along those parts of the coastline where there is no protected, waterway navigable by cruise ships. Beyond the benefits of traveling protected waterways, the Inside Passage is absolutely beautiful, from what I can tell. Being able to appreciate both sides of it from our cabin (one side going north, the other side coming back south) is a big advantage in our book. (Holland America has Vancouver round-trip cruises all summer. Princess only offers that itinerary in May and September, preferring to offer Seattle round-trips.)

We were also driven by some of the differences between the suites between the two cruise lines. While Princess' "strange" floorplan for the suites we were looking at looked better from the standpoint of separating the sitting area from the sleeping area, which is important since I typically wake up earlier than my spouse, the other included benefits on Holland America better fit our preferences. We also very much like the aft suite's wrap-around balcony on the Holland America ship on which we are cruising, a feature not available on the Princess ship we were considering.

My spouse also preferred that Holland America has done away with explicit formal nights [while Princess has not], thereby simplifying her packing considerations.

In the end, the main takeaway from this is that the decision is so heavily driven by your own personal preferences and personal requirements that there is no actual answer to your questions except the answer you craft for yourself by learning from the advice of people who you are able to determine are people like yourself, with similar perspectives on travel, and who's advice is therefore a reflection of the same priorities that you yourself hold to.

That last part is really important. Don't trust any answer to your questions that don't come from the standpoint of understanding your needs, understanding your preferences, etc. Otherwise, you're making decisions based on what's best for other people.

A good knowledge about details of Alaska travel are essential for you to be able to recognize differences in what you are reading. Alaska is especially an area where wrong assumptions and missing essential details are frequently missed.

Basic is to look at what each port is known for and what tours are of interest to you. Unlike the Caribbean- there are no "crappy" Alaska ports- each is very different from the others. Rank your preference.

So much is written about glacier sailings. I am never going to make any claims- of "priority" - having been to each numerous times- I've seen vast differences within the same glacier areas- which I see less frequent visitors- missing. Sorry- just my opinion. :) Each area is going to offer a unique- wonderful-scenic sailing day. Every cruise and sailing is going to be different.

I've sailed on both lines in Alaska- again, my suggestion for port information- comes between these two cruises. So consider doing your research on Whittier, Seward, Sitka etc. along with the 14 day cruise option.

Enjoy your Alaska journey. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Differences I notice....

• HAL offers 7 day return in Vancouver as a great bonus embarkation/debarkation port. Princess does mainly one ways from Vancouver.
  • HAL offers Yukon/Denali option
  • Princess appeals to kids and family better
  • HAL uses a mid-size ship, Princess operates larger ships with outdoor theatres

If you are a first time cruiser.... pay attention to which itinerary offers Glacier Bay! Think carefully about which month you plan to sail..... cost vs dry weather vs warmth vs wildlife vs storms. There's a reason why mid-July cost more.

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]2psudTbwtdQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

....... but I'm thinking HAL is too formal for me - I don't care a thing about dressing up for dinner... I'll be on vacation, not there to impress anyone with what I'm wearing.

Alaska is a very casual cruise destination. HAL's dress code is a collared shirt and no "distressed jeans" for Gala Nights in the Main Dining Room if that is the formality that you don't care about. Very few passengers "dress up" for Gala Nights. You can also order the evening meal served in the Main Dining Room to be delivered to your stateroom if you don't bring a collared shirt in your luggage.

Hello

Just starting to look at Alaska cruises. So much information out there that I thought I would first start with a cruise line. I see a lot of ads showing Princess is the best for Alaska

Can someone tell me a good starting point for my research on my first cruise to Alaska

Thank you all

Buy a copy of the Alaska Cruise handbook by Joe Upton, it is a great book with a great map that you could attach with magnetic hooks to your cabin wall :)

we did the Norwegian Pearl in Alaska, we had great food and great service, we also had the best weather Alaska had in a long time in September, only one day of rain and dry in all of the other ports. Didn't even rain in Ketchikan until after we left, Alaska is beautiful and you will love it whichever ship you're in. Princess and Holland America have been sailing to Alaska for many years and get the best treatment from the various port authorities, they also own a lot of the infrastructure such as hotels and restaurants

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have sailed Alaska on all the major cruises except for Disney many times each. "Formal" is no longer "Formal". I see no difference in attire between Princess and HAL.

The above claim of "best treatment" refers to WHAT?? Oh- some lines don't get tied up, don't dock on time, have felons for dock agents??

The mention of "sailing for many years" is also pretty insignificant. ALL the majors have been there for "YEARS" sailing there at least from the 90's. Haven't heard of ships getting lost lately. :) There are plenty of very nice hotels and the cruise line "infrastructure" of restaurants is hardly the top choices.

....... but I'm thinking HAL is too formal for me - I don't care a thing about dressing up for dinner... I'll be on vacation, not there to impress anyone with what I'm wearing.

Alaska is a very casual cruise destination. HAL's dress code is a collared shirt and no "distressed jeans" for Gala Nights in the Main Dining Room if that is the formality that you don't care about. Very few passengers "dress up" for Gala Nights. You can also order the evening meal served in the Main Dining Room to be delivered to your stateroom if you don't bring a collared shirt in your luggage.

Where I got that feeling from is pretty much right here on CC. I've been going through the HAL forum and saw much talk about dinner, people wearing a tux, ties, jackets, NO SNEAKERS, etc. When I go to the HAL web site they talk about Gala nights vs regular dinners, "smart casual", etc. Here is a copy & paste from the HAL FAX page regarding their dress code:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

• Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

So much is written about glacier sailings. I am never going to make any claims- of "priority" - having been to each numerous times- I've seen vast differences within the same glacier areas- which I see less frequent visitors- missing. Sorry- just my opinion. :) Each area is going to offer a unique- wonderful-scenic sailing day. Every cruise and sailing is going to be different.

I am going to disagree. For most, Alaska is a one time destination. Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm can be frequently missed. It may not be a big deal for you who does several Alaska sailings per year, but for those who only go to Alaska once, it is disappointing to miss a glacier. I know how disappointed I was on my first cruise to miss Hubbard Glacier and I still have yet to see Tracy Arm!

Glacier Bay is pretty much guaranteed and for those who will only go to Alaska once, I put this as a priority!

I guess this is one area where my wife and I are unsure about for our 1st Alaskan cruise in September of 2017.

Was planning on slacks, collared shirt and sport jacket and my wife in a simple dress but even that sounds too 'formal' for gala night. If that is the case, what is the norm for the MDR dress the other nites? Jeans and sweater/ LS polo shirt acceptable?

And sorry to hijack this thread but inquiring minds want to know....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Herfnerd

I guess this is one area where my wife and I are unsure about for our 1st Alaskan cruise in September of 2017.

Was planning on slacks, collared shirt and sport jacket and my wife in a simple dress but even that sounds too 'formal' for gala night. If that is the case, what is the norm for the MDR dress the other nites? Jeans and sweater/ LS polo shirt acceptable?

In the past, HAL has been recognized for its more formal attire on "Formal Nights" but that is no longer the case.

The HAL website reports the "minimum" Gala Night requirement for males. There will be a very few passengers that will be in formal attire on "Gala" nights and half of the diners will be wearing jackets. The other half will be in collared shirts (that includes polos) and simple pantsuits/dresses (females). There is no need to pack additional dress shoes just for Gala Nights. I wear my same hiking shoes to both "Gala" and "Casual" nights while some wear athletic shoes with their suits.

The coexistence with others in more simple attire is never an issue. HAL's dress code change has brought more passengers back to Gala Nights that would have just gone to the Lido Market to avoid "dressing up".

"Casual" nights in Alaska see lots of jeans, flannel shirts (chilly when the sun goes down), polo shirts, sweaters, etc in the Dining Room. I have also seen a number of kilts worn.

Hope this helps.

What you are planning on will be just fine :) That is similar to how we dressed for "gala" nights on our last Alaska cruise. My DH and I don't wear jeans to dinner on smart-casual nights, but some other people do. (Personal preference, not a dress code requirement :) ) My DH wears khakis and a nice shirt (open collared, either long or short sleeved) for smart casual. That is actually what we saw most other men dressed in, too.

Hello

Thank you all

1. I'm in the crowd that says Glacier Bay is a must.

2. Beyond that, what do you want to see/do? Most of the lines go to the same three ports & in those ports on each of the lines you can whale watch, ride the White Pass RR, etc.

If you are interested in the Russian history - look for an itinerary that includes Sitka. (Sitka also has Fortress of the Bears & a Raptor Center - if that is of interest.)

Only you know what is best for you - I find that the cruise lines themselves especially Princess & HAL are probably more alike than different.

I don't see where the impression comes from that the current HAL is more formal than Princess.

According to their website, Princess has 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

The dress code for those nights is:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

That's a lot more formal than the collared shirt and slacks for HAL gala nights.

• 11 months later...

not true slacks fir men required in MDR for dinner

I am in the same situation - stuck between Princess or Hal. Our must haves are RT from Vancouver (my brother and SIL live there and will spend a couple days with them), one way is out because I refuse to spend 18 hours in airports/planes and Glacier Bay since it will be early May. Both lines meet these with very similar itineraries and prices. We would not wear suits or dresses (Princess) but like the idea of having naturalists on board. Most difficult travel decision I have ever had to make lol[emoji31]

I am in the same situation - stuck between Princess or Hal. Our must haves are RT from Vancouver (my brother and SIL live there and will spend a couple days with them), one way is out because I refuse to spend 18 hours in airports/planes and Glacier Bay since it will be early May. Both lines meet these with very similar itineraries and prices. We would not wear suits or dresses (Princess) but like the idea of having naturalists on board. Most difficult travel decision I have ever had to make lol[emoji31]

Check out the Nieuw Amsterdam with Holland America.

For a round trip cruise to Southeastern Alaska, I would say all of the cruise lines have something nice to offer, which ports or itinerary are personal preference...

But....if you are only going to do one "bucket list" cruise to Alaska, I would highly recommend going 'all in', and do a one way Gulf of Alaska cruise combined with a land tour, to really see Alaska....

And if you do do that, you can't go wrong with either HAL or Princess, as mentioned, they have the most experience and facilities there, including hotels, tour buses, day cruises, domed railcars, etc. As a matter of fact HAL and Princess have recently combined their transportation assets there...