If I cancel my cruise during a sale will it be cheaper?

poobears

Ok long story short. We have a 7 day cruise booked and DH had me change it over to ES a while back because he was 100% sure we were going. Well life happened and now he can't go. I don't particularly want to go on this one without him because this was his cruise. I just took one with the girls without him, he picked this one out specifically, it's also a long drive to port.

We have insurance but won't cover this particular cancellation so we will lose our deposit when we cancel. We don't owe final payment until Feb. What I am wondering is if I wait until the next $50 ES sale, I'm thinking maybe they will have one around NYE, will I only be charged $200 since that would be the current deposit cost? I know that's how it works for changes but now sure if that's how it works for cancellations. If so I am more than willing to wait and watch for a sale to cancel.

I don't have a PVP, haven't used one in ages. Guess I'll just wait until a sale pops up and then hit the if I cancel will I have a penalty link and see. I could use the extra money I paid on the cruise back now but if I can maybe get more back later I will wait.

Is there any kind of sale going on now? I don't see one but it is showing less of a penalty than I thought it should. On a 7 day shouldn't it be $250 per person or $1,000 for 4 of us? When I click the link it shows I'll have a $858, seems like an odd #.

I can't price match to anything because everything in my category on Lido is sold out and has been for a long time. I knew better than to switch to ES with DH going but he was insistent that he wanted that $50 OBC credit and $75 or whatever price drop and he was absolutely going, no doubt. Now we'll be out $858 + the cost of insurance because of it. Oh well that's on him.

The girls and I will rebook a different one for us later at a closer port. I know they would rather do Universal if we are going to spend 2 days driving all the way to FL. We'll go out of NO or Mobile if we are going to cruise so we can be there in one day.

Thanks for the help.

I can't price match to anything because everything in my category on Lido is sold out and has been for a long time. I knew better than to switch to ES with DH going but he was insistent that he wanted that $50 OBC credit and $75 or whatever price drop and he was absolutely going, no doubt. Now we'll be out $858 + the cost of insurance because of it. Oh well that's on him.

The girls and I will rebook a different one for us later at a closer port. I know they would rather do Universal if we are going to spend 2 days driving all the way to FL. We'll go out of NO or Mobile if we are going to cruise so we can be there in one day.

Thanks for the help.

I think the cancellation shows the "penalty" with the $200pp future cruise credit as well as the $50pp admin fee, so you probably won't be out all that money. You can use the balance for a future cruise. I know it's too late for this particular instance, but this is where having a great PVP comes in. Getting the right answers from the CSRs is a crap shoot.

How much is airfare for the 3 of you?

Edited by firemanbobswife

I'm not sure what airfare would be but it's not usually very cheap from our airports to FL. I know I just paid $600 to fly my son to Colorado from here the other day after his Christmas leave. We don't get the cheap flights many people do, not enough competition.

I forgot about the future credit so you are right I wouldn't be out all the money, at least I will have $200 to use on the balance of the next cruise we book.

Edited by poobears

Looks like it would run us around $1300-$1500 for 3 round trip flights. Not sure if I want to shell out that much more on top of the cruise that I still have left to pay off.

We're porting out of PC so flying into MIA would be a bit of a drive, I'd have to rent a car. Doesn't look like it would be any cheaper flying to there on the dates I'd need. Flying to Melbourne is the closest but it's higher with less flight options. May be worth it though if we go that route, Orlando/MCO would probably save $150 total over Melbourne but of course it's further away too.

Looks like it would run us around $1300-$1500 for 3 round trip flights. Not sure if I want to shell out that much more on top of the cruise that I still have left to pay off.

We're porting out of PC so flying into MIA would be a bit of a drive, I'd have to rent a car. Doesn't look like it would be any cheaper flying to there on the dates I'd need. Flying to Melbourne is the closest but it's higher with less flight options. May be worth it though if we go that route, Orlando/MCO would probably save $150 total over Melbourne but of course it's further away too.

I didn't realize you were going out of PC. I've never been, but I think people normally fly into MCO and then there is a shuttle service you can take or something. What airport(s) are close to home? Make sure to check Southwest and JetBlue. You need to go right to their websites as they don't show on the major fare checker sites.

It doesnt work that way. you will lost 50pp but 200pp will be held for a future trip - not to be used as a deposit

How did you come up with that figure of 858?>

It doesnt work that way. you will lost 50pp but 200pp will be held for a future trip - not to be used as a deposit

How did you come up with that figure of 858?>

$858 is what it shows when I click the link that say is there a penalty for cancelling my booking. This is what it says: If you cancel your booking today, the penalty amount would be $858.

I'm guessing it's $200pp + the $50 fee and $8 for???

Edited by poobears

$858 is what it shows when I click the link that say is there a penalty for cancelling my booking. This is what it says: If you cancel your booking today, the penalty amount would be $858.

I'm guessing it's $200pp + the $50 fee and $8 for???

You would get his taxes/port fees and prepaid gratuities back too.

No, everyone else is working so I can't think of anyone else that could go. I could drive down alone if I had to, I just drove to GA and back with one DD and picked up DS for his military leave for the holiday but that I made in one day easy enough, although thanks to hitting an ice storm on the way back it was a 15+ hour drive home.

PC is about 19 hours and that's more than I want to do in a straight drive, the girls wouldn't want to sit in the car that long either. We'd have to stop around the 12 hr mark probably, that would put us around the panhandle, then drive in the next day.

I already planned on driving down to Orlando next summer for a couple weeks at Universal so this would make 2 drives down by myself. I hate to cancel our summer trip but may have to if we do this one. I'm not sure I want to drive down there twice and I'm sure summer flights would be even higher.

Thanks for the help.

How are you going to be out $858 if you havent reached final payment date yet?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

How are you going to be out $858 if you havent reached final payment date yet?

Bill

I don't know that is just what it shows when I click the penalty link on the carnival website. That is what I sat down and tried to figure out today. We are booked ES but the #'s still don't come out right. There is suppose to be $50pp charge then $200pp held for a future cruise. So there should be $200 non refundable and a $800 future cruise credit right? But this looks like I will lose $858 doesn't mention anything about a future cruise credit or anything and still can't figure out where they get that amount from.

Poobears.

What is your final payment date as listed on the booking? If you have not reached it yet, something is wrong. I would call CCL not cancel on their website if this date has not been reached. If you are past the due date, but not into the next penalty, then just the deposit is completely forfeited. This looks like you have reached some kind of 50% or more level from the amount you are being quoted! :eek:

Poobears.

What is your final payment date as listed on the booking? If you have not reached it yet, something is wrong. I would call CCL not cancel on their website if this date has not been reached. If you are past the due date, but not into the next penalty, then just the deposit is completely forfeited. This looks like you have reached some kind of 50% or more level from the amount you are being quoted! :eek:

My final payment isn't until Feb 6, 2017. Our cruise isn't until April 22, 2017.

I don't know that is just what it shows when I click the penalty link on the carnival website. That is what I sat down and tried to figure out today. We are booked ES but the #'s still don't come out right. There is suppose to be $50pp charge then $200pp held for a future cruise. So there should be $200 non refundable and a $800 future cruise credit right? But this looks like I will lose $858 doesn't mention anything about a future cruise credit or anything and still can't figure out where they get that amount from.

You should be charged the $50pp penalty and the $200pp held for a cruise up to 24 months.

Anything else besides the insurance should be returned to you in the method you paid. ie: credit card

Bill

My final payment isn't until Feb 6, 2017. Our cruise isn't until April 22, 2017.

Ok, I think I figured it out:

7 night cruise = 250.00 Deposit per passenger - normally would have been 1000.00 penalty as per 4 pax, and under the Early Saver. BUT:

2 pax = 500

858-500 = 358

358 / 2 = 179

Is your rate for the kids 179 + tax each? That would make sense, as the deposit is 250 or the fare, which ever is lower. And they still will keep 50 per passenger for a total of 200.00, leaving 658.00 as your future cruise credit to use again within 2 years.

Hope that helps! (??) ! :D:D