Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Loving this, so far! I'm all over the info on the water taxi. Another note on the water taxi is an after 5pm discount you can get onboard. We will be in town the evening before, so we plan on taking advantage. Can't wait until you are on the boat!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If dancing is too much work for the lazy crowd, then at least RCI should email to us the day 1 daily compass so we have something to read. The technology is there to easily have that info sent to all our email. Prior to the cruise, RCI spams me daily with “Harry, let us show you way to spend even more money on your cruise that you haven’t budgeted it with drinks and dining programs”. So they know how to reach me.

Oh, if it were only that simple. All of the spam comes from Miami shore side, the Compass only exists on the ship and very little is communicated from there. Then, there's the practical part - most folks would get that Compass on their phone (like most e-mail) - not very easily readable on a phone screen (to which folks would complain and ask for a more readable version - queue the folks asking for the Royal IQ app with this feature). Not only that, if you are at the terminal you have the first day Compass right there at the check in desk.

I always thought a good idea for "before boarding entertainment" would be Tvs that loop royal Caribbean info, different itineraries, info on ships etc. maybe they have something like this already and I haven't experienced it yet tho! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving this, so far! I'm all over the info on the water taxi. Another note on the water taxi is an after 5pm discount you can get onboard. We will be in town the evening before, so we plan on taking advantage. Can't wait until you are on the boat!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, good point on the water taxi being cheaper at night.

Also check on their web site if they are opened the regular hours on the day you want to go on it as during the holiday seasons, they sometimes are closed due to special events so don’t g all the way out there only to find out they don’t operate on the one day you are in town.

Oh, if it were only that simple. All of the spam comes from Miami shore side, the Compass only exists on the ship and very little is communicated from there. Then, there's the practical part - most folks would get that Compass on their phone (like most e-mail) - not very easily readable on a phone screen (to which folks would complain and ask for a more readable version - queue the folks asking for the Royal IQ app with this feature). Not only that, if you are at the terminal you have the first day Compass right there at the check in desk.

Wait, so you saying they have the day 1 compass where they handed out the sea pass at the pier? If I had known that, I would have asked for one when they gave me the sea pass.

I always thought a good idea for "before boarding entertainment" would be Tvs that loop royal Caribbean info, different itineraries, info on ships etc. maybe they have something like this already and I haven't experienced it yet tho! [emoji3]

Looking at the various pictures I took of terminal 29, I don't see one single TV so unless they set things up going forward.

Wait, so you saying they have the day 1 compass where they handed out the sea pass at the pier? If I had known that, I would have asked for one when they gave me the sea pass.

I think they have an abbreviated version with times that dining venues are open, but it's not the full compass .

And also wanted to say I am enjoying your review! Thanks for posting!

I think they have an abbreviated version with times that dining venues are open, but it's not the full compass .

Yes, it might be a shorter version (only one page - double sided) with the highlights for the day. You may have to ask for it, not all checkin stations may have them and if you checkin real early it might not be available at all yet. I assume it has to be brought off the ship - don't know when/how that happens.

Edited by Biker19

Yes, it might be a shorter version (only one page - double sided) with the highlights for the day. You may have to ask for it, not all checkin stations may have them and if you checkin real early it might not be available at all yet. I assume it has to be brought off the ship - don't know when/how that happens.

Got it. Will ask for one next time to see if they have it. Thanks for the heads up.

In theory, they should have them all printed out the night before. Meaning let’s assume you are on the ship on day 3 and you go off to dinner at 6 PM. The cabin attendants makes up your cabin and they drop day 4’s schedule on your bed around 7 PM or so the night before. This is a nightly event.

So they should have these things out and ready the night before for the next day. Besides, other than entertainer names and whatever else, isn’t 90% of the info same the previous itinerary? Meaning 2 weeks ago, the ship had a 6 day western Caribbean run with template/schedule A. How much would that really change 2 weeks later when it comes back for another Western?

Entertainer might change and maybe captain or CD could change from their leave but the hour by hour activities should be pretty much boiler plates, no?

I guess this is just a “whatever” discussion on why RCI does things the way they do things…

How much would that really change 2 weeks later when it comes back for another Western?

RCI keeps putting that variable (NOT) FLL weather on the compass.:rolleyes:

To be fair, folks coming off a ship this morning would have been in for a rude awakening - 55 F this morning (which is cold for FLL).

Edited by Biker19

OK, so with the discussion on the daily compass, guess it’s good time as any to scan the day 1 compass and upload it. I was going to wait until after lunch as that as when we first saw them, but you can just assume you have this in hand earlier in the day.

31639450780_90f07c5cf7_b.jpg

31975892276_9dd86ab897_b.jpg

31896871301_76caf0b53b_b.jpg

31897032881_179bf64f35_b.jpg

As I am prone to do, here’s another theoretical digress question for the brilliant CC folks that 99.99% of the readers won't care.

So I understand on page 4 of the daily compass during the port days, they also list info of the port agents in case you are stranded/have emergency and you need to contact RCI/ship for any reason. That part I understand.

The part that always leaves me wondering is on day 1, when you have the compass of FL agents. See page 4 of red arrow. So who would actually find this info useful? The B2B people that gets off the ship and can’t get back in time?

As we have been discussing, most people don’t see day 1 compass until the cabin so unless you get off the ship after 1:30 after you get the compass, under what circumstances would you need this info as a regular day 1 passenger – other than B2B?

On top of that, they give you FBI and Coast Guard info. Has anyone read anything in history of CC of the FBI or coast guard being contacted by a passenger on day 1? Yeah, I know, my analality scale is tipping toward 10 really fast...  

So as we sat downstairs and waited, a RCI gal (she looks like someone from the ship instead of dock side stuffed shirt corporate worker) made an announcement on the PA that they just finished getting everyone off the ship from prior cruise at 11 AM and will starting to board people soon. Not too long after that, they started to move the people from downstairs to upstairs. First, we stopped at the obligatory pre cruise picture.

Here is the picture of the family in case you don’t know what we look like and didn’t read my previous report, but I think you have already glimpse part of us at various photos.

31203511753_83f1362ed6_b.jpg

Stopped off at the lanyard souvenir kiosk on the way and picked one up for the cruise and had them hole punch the card for me. At upstairs, we were more or less grouped by the seniority level with us at the Gold level next to the newbie’s. Later on, my wife’s friend’s family showed up so we went over to talk to them for a bit while we waited.

At 11:35, the gold level was called to board the ship and we started the happy journey to walk up the gangplank. Unlike our ships with zig zags, this one is a straight shot. It is always a joyful feeling to walk up that gangplank to be on the ship. The official touchdown of being physically on the ship was 11:38 AM. Yes, I did jump up and down with excitement and happiness on the first step on the ship with my son videotaping me doing so – thank goodness I didn’t injure any muscles performing such feat. Cheapo dad off to infirmary on day 1 with a pulled groin muscle that I didn’t know I possess – not good…

31863716422_356fc64ca1_b.jpg

31974028646_a3ab9496c0_b.jpg

31863684162_d8ae437df0_b.jpg

Edited by harryfat1

OK, so with the discussion on the daily compass, guess it’s good time as any to scan the day 1 compass and upload it. I was going to wait until after lunch as that as when we first saw them, but you can just assume you have this in hand earlier in the day.

31639450780_90f07c5cf7_b.jpg

31975892276_9dd86ab897_b.jpg

31896871301_76caf0b53b_b.jpg

31897032881_179bf64f35_b.jpg

As I am prone to do, here’s another theoretical digress question for the brilliant CC folks that 99.99% of the readers won't care.

So I understand on page 4 of the daily compass during the port days, they also list info of the port agents in case you are stranded/have emergency and you need to contact RCI/ship for any reason. That part I understand.

The part that always leaves me wondering is on day 1, when you have the compass of FL agents. See page 4 of red arrow. So who would actually find this info useful? The B2B people that gets off the ship and can’t get back in time?

As we have been discussing, most people don’t see day 1 compass until the cabin so unless you get off the ship after 1:30 after you get the compass, under what circumstances would you need this info as a regular day 1 passenger – other than B2B?

On top of that, they give you FBI and Coast Guard info. Has anyone read anything in history of CC of the FBI or coast guard being contacted by a passenger on day 1? Yeah, I know, my analality scale is tipping toward 10 really fast...  

The cruiseline most often offers excursions before and after the cruise, so they might find that info handy, as well they might be some laws in place where this info must be posted on every cruise compass but this is just my speculations as well, I really have no idea

When you get off the gang plank, there might be two lines, the front of the ship or the back. Depending on where you want to go, it makes a difference on making a right or left. We typically make a bee line for the windjammer as I know from experience it gets crowded really fast (the peasants are coming).

So we went for the aft elevator which takes you directly to windjammer at deck 11. Especially with cruisers coming from other cruise lines who are hard wired to make a bee line for the buffet, getting up there early makes a difference.

After the mandatory “washy washy” spiel, we were greeted by the gingerbread village decoration. Very elaborate. Can’t even fit the whole thing on my phone unless I step way back.

31637597280_56dc5976a6_b.jpg

Here are the rare site – empty tables and chairs on windjammer. Crowd? What crowd? There’s nobody here. This was taken at 11:44.

31973967716_eeb688f1bd_b.jpg

31637577710_9762e9c507_b.jpg

We sat in the very back in the middle of WJ and looking at one side, there is maybe 3 tables being occupied and about the same on the other side. Show me the crowd – have no fear, they are coming soon enough...

32011566605_359b81c75b_b.jpg

32011556185_a9c67bb483_b.jpg

Wow. :D You are just moving right along with this report. And the bridge between Alameda and Bay Farm Island is a real drawbridge. In fact, there are 6 drawbridges of various designs (I think) in the county. A friend manages the bridge tender department. :)

Wow. :D You are just moving right along with this report. And the bridge between Alameda and Bay Farm Island is a real drawbridge. In fact, there are 6 drawbridges of various designs (I think) in the county. A friend manages the bridge tender department. :)

Haha, I guess we don't get out much when we are not on vacation.

I have been sick since yesterday with a cold and a cough so I am pretty much home bound so have more time to upload pictures instead of going outside. But the cold meds is starting to get to my brain so I will stop soon for the day and watch TV instead.

Pictures of food before it’s all messed up.

31202268853_c6c664c590_b.jpg

31894666141_ab7b461470_b.jpg

So for this trip report, you get to see what I eat. My preference is for variety. I like a little of everything - variety. I’m not a just roast beef sandwich or a slice of pizza person of one item at boarding for lunch so we always opt for WJ even though many CC have a dislike for WJ. So after stuffing our faces and WJ being packed as time went on as the other cruisers started to come on board, time to get out and walk around.

31171190914_2b2135d7dd_b.jpg

31863328992_16c40ce761_b.jpg

Up on deck 12, it was a gorgeous sunny day in FLL in the low 80’s. Forecast had it as possible showers but nothing came close to that.

I am pretty sure I am in the 1% minority column but I could spend hours up on deck taking pictures of everything and there are so many things happening with the ships/boats in the harbor moving about as well as all the buildings in the port region. They would be great for the mega zoom to see what I can see as well as doing the miniatures with all the fuel tanks.

If the ship doesn’t sail out until next morning, I would be good with that or if there’s any hotel set up similar to what they have for Queen Mary in the west coast where you can spend a night on an old ship in the harbor, I would be down for that.

I just stumbled across this trip report. You had me at "cheap". That's my favorite word. Your report is fantastic ... witty and informative. And your photos are terrific. Can't wait for more.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment.

So were you physically injured you “stumbled across the trip review”? I think it’s irresponsible of CC to just leave these trip report out in the walk way for fellow cruisers to “stumbled across”. This can be a big safety hazard.

If you plan to sue CC for them leaving the trip reports out in the open and for your injuries, including medical bills pain and suffering from your “stumble”, let me know and I want to be part of the class action law suit also.

Cheapo dad needs to find ways to make money to pay for the big Harmony of the Seas price premium in future cruises…  

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment.

So were you physically injured you “stumbled across the trip review”? I think it’s irresponsible of CC to just leave these trip report out in the walk way for fellow cruisers to “stumbled across”. This can be a big safety hazard.

If you plan to sue CC for them leaving the trip reports out in the open and for your injuries, including medical bills pain and suffering from your “stumble”, let me know and I want to be part of the class action law suit also.

Cheapo dad needs to find ways to make money to pay for the big Harmony of the Seas price premium in future cruises…  

Harry! You crack me up!!! Thanks!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great report. I read your Allure one previously. I thought I was a freak about planning cruises but you sir are a hero - emailing to find out the entertainment and specific dining locations - brilliant!! [emoji113]🏽[emoji113]🏽[emoji122]🏿[emoji122]🏿

Sent from my iPhone using Forums