port excursions.... going off site?

Hsmama

Trying to gauge what is best...newbs going on Alaska cruise in April/May. From what I hear, there are excursions booked by our cruise line, and then there are other options. I would love to save $$$ and use other tour operators. What is the source of info for this? And do we run a risk of getting stuck at port somewhere,while the ship sails without us if we use another operator? I have a basic idea of some things we may like to see/do while in ports.

If you look down the board you will see many threads on each port, and recommended vendors.

Many people will tell you it is dangerous, but the number of people who miss the ship using a private vendor is minuscule. I suspect the number who miss the ship due to adult beverages is far higher. And remember, the private vendors stake their business on NOT having a rep for missing ships...miss just one, and you are out of business.

Go to the Alaska ports of call board. There have been no cases, in years, that independent vendors have caused anyone to miss a ship, except for a few tragic flights.

YOU need to do your homework and - first- determine- what tours you want to go on. Then it's easy to just do a search and find recommended vendors. I will caution you to, perhaps, give a preference to recommendations of people who have actually taken the tours. There are a lot of posters- who write glowing claims and haven't even gone yet.

With social media and chat board such as Cruise Critic, it would be difficult for a tour company to survive if they had customers missing ship.

For our one and only cruise to Alaska we used private excursions for every port and had a great time. The only excursion that came close to boarding time was our seaplane trip with Island Wings in Ketchikan. We had a scheduled completion time of 5:00 pm with an all aboard at 5:30 pm. At first I was a little nervous but then found the plane parks almost in front of the ship. We took a van back to the ship but actually could have walked back in time. :)

all this is good to know. I am going to spend some time researching the different options..... I know our cruise is going to be pretty 'basic' compared to a lot of choices here, but I think as our first time to Alaska,and cruising,we're going to love it anyway!

Just to offer another POV - we have booked our excursions through the cruise line. I know those are more expensive but we are paying for convenience as well as security. SIL and I both use wheelchairs and the cruise line is responsible for making sure there is a way for us to get on and off transport (if the excursion is flagged for wheelchairs - Norwegian, for all its other flaws, is excellent about indicating under each tour exactly what the disabled person needs to be able to do if anything). Of course, I have still repeatedly checked to make sure our reservations are flagged as using wheelchairs, and will do so several more times as we get closer to the cruise. Also, frankly, I was overwhelmed by choices when I looked at excursions on the town website!

As several posters said, there are excellent rea$on$ to arrange your own excursions privately. But IMNSHO, there are excellent reasons to book through the cruise line as well. You just have to decide which is the best choice for you.

BTW, you actually don't have to do formal excursions at every town. We are planning on doing Mendenhall and the tram at Juneau. The city bus (which goes within a mile of Mendenhall) is completely accessible and the tram is across the street from the Norwegian dock. I have a scooter so DH won't have to push me the mile to the Mendenhall visitor center.

Edited by mamasylvia

Just to offer another POV - we have booked our excursions through the cruise line. I know those are more expensive but we are paying for convenience as well as security. SIL and I both use wheelchairs and the cruise line is responsible for making sure there is a way for us to get on and off transport (if the excursion is flagged for wheelchairs - Norwegian, for all its other flaws, is excellent about indicating under each tour exactly what the disabled person needs to be able to do if anything). Of course, I have still repeatedly checked to make sure our reservations are flagged as using wheelchairs, and will do so several more times as we get closer to the cruise. Also, frankly, I was overwhelmed by choices when I looked at excursions on the town website!

As several posters said, there are excellent rea$on$ to arrange your own excursions privately. But IMNSHO, there are excellent reasons to book through the cruise line as well. You just have to decide which is the best choice for you.

BTW, you actually don't have to do formal excursions at every town. We are planning on doing Mendenhall and the tram at Juneau. The city bus (which goes within a mile of Mendenhall) is completely accessible and the tram is across the street from the Norwegian dock. I have a scooter so DH won't have to push me the mile to the Mendenhall visitor center.

You do know that the cruise line does NOT operate any of these tours, and there can be a big advantage with wheelchair/scooter users going direct to the vendor? No "middle man" and your tour operator getting factual information from you.

Not sure if you have been there before or to Mendenhall using the city bus? Multiple options available.

all this is good to know. I am going to spend some time researching the different options..... I know our cruise is going to be pretty 'basic' compared to a lot of choices here, but I think as our first time to Alaska,and cruising,we're going to love it anyway!

Basic is just fine.

Ours will be a mix of "oh wow" & "seriously you are travelling that far & that is you plan."

This will be our second AK cruise. Our last one was 1/2 nice excursions 1/2 basic too.

&&&& I've seen lots of youtube videos & have seen plenty people happily walking around town...

I'm looking forward to the more basic days.:) Just relaxing & going with the flow while watching the water or scenery go by.

Edited by TheCalicoCat