Escape Haven vs Divina Yacht Club

rojoand8

Husband and I (both 68) sailed on the Escape Haven in Oct. we loved it but would like to try another ship. Looking at the Oct 21 2017 sailing of the Divina Yacht Club. Are they similar? We were in a Spa suite but didn't need the in-room tub except to lay out clothes to dry. We liked the relaxed dress code on NCL, but still dress appropriately. If we have to dress up in jacket for my husband, it might be a deal breaker against the Divina. What cabin would be good? Sorry for all the questions. We have sailed about 6 times over the years on very different ships. Husband decided he really likes the suite life especially because of the suite designated restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Husband and I (both 68) sailed on the Escape Haven in Oct. we loved it but would like to try another ship. Looking at the Oct 21 2017 sailing of the Divina Yacht Club. Are they similar? We were in a Spa suite but didn't need the in-room tub except to lay out clothes to dry. We liked the relaxed dress code on NCL, but still dress appropriately. If we have to dress up in jacket for my husband, it might be a deal breaker against the Divina. What cabin would be good? Sorry for all the questions. We have sailed about 6 times over the years on very different ships. Husband decided he really likes the suite life especially because of the suite designated restaurant.

The new Carnival Vista has a similar private suites set up. Can't comment on ship as two weeks away from ahoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done a spa haven suite on the NCL Breakaway and we have the Royal Suite (SUPER excited about that!) booked for Feb on the Divina. I can say that pricing at the time I booked Divina was very good and we are paying about the same as we did for the Haven Spa suite and it's a much larger cabin this time.

Because I've yet to sail the YC, I can't really compare but I've done a TON of research. It seems as though the Divina may have more people dressing up than NCL, however, a business casual may be more the norm.

The YC1 cabins look about the same as an NCL mini suite, but of course, with all the YC amenities. I think they phased out the YC2 and turned them into Aurea suites. :-(

I'm Pretty excited about the free mini bar, that's restocked at least twice a day!

I hope MSC does the daily in room snacks like the butler brings on NCL. We like those.

I had looked at Carnival Vista, but I think their suite amenities were lacking. Do they even have a private restaurant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I are booked on the Divina for the 10/21/17 sailing. We sailed on her in May 2016 in the Royal YC1 Suite and loved it. We have also been on multiple NCL ships in Haven suites. Comparing the two, we love the cabins in the haven suites but the Yacht Club perks are better. Service is impeccable in the YC and beats the Haven hands down. Pricing is also better for all extra cost items on the ship such as internet, photos, specialty restaurants, drinks outside of the YC (which will be reportedly included starting this summer).

In May on the Divina, I did dress in a suit for the first formal night and just wore a nice shirt and tie for the second. Most men were dressed appropriately in suits and a select few tuxes. Some just wore a blazer with an open collar. The other days, I just wore a Tommy Bahamma shirt and a pair of slacks. I have to admit, I like the NCL freestyle concept where I leave the jacket and tie at home, but for me the trade off for the Yacht Club outweighs the formal nights. If you choose, you can always leave the jacket and tie at home and dine at the buffet.

We loved the exclusive YC amenities, private restaurant and activities such as afternoon tea service. It was fun. The entertainment is superb on MSC and as you can see in my signature, we are sailing on the Divina next week in a standard YC cabin as well as in May and Oct of 2017.

We may now be sold on the MSC product as we don't like the way NCL is pricing the Haven product since the management changed.

Hope this helps. If you decide to book, join us in the roll call.

We have sailed in the Haven on most every Norwegian ship... it is an amazing experience and truly changes the way you view any cruise.

We recently tried the MSC for the first time on the Divina in the Yacht Club as a change of pace.

In my opinion, the YC is head and shoulders above the Haven.

The facilities on the Divina truly make a ship within a ship... expansive YC outdoor sundeck, with bar, food and an actual swimming pool.

Le Muse was superior to any of the Haven restaurants on the new ships.

I must say, the quality of the YC staff, especially the butlers, were at a different level than what we have seen on NCL.

In the same manner that I was disappointed in layout of Haven penthouses on the Escape... the similar YC cabins on the Divina are not as spacious as I would like. For that reason, we chose an Exec Suite (YC2) and simply loved that cabin.

We walked away from our Divina cruise in the YC totally satisfied and pleased with the value.

I did not pack any differently, and dressed as I would on any NCL cruise.

I don't wear jackets on any cruise... that is so-last-century. :cool:

Pleased enough to book the Meraviglia in the Fall.

Glad to answer any specifics....

Thank you to all. It sounds like we might be trying the Divina. The prices seem so much more reasonable than the Haven pricing. Seems like you get get the larger cabin for less or at least the same on MSC. Glad to hear that they're not too stringent on the dress code. Hubby likes to wear the slacks and collared shirts to dinner.

The recent increases in Haven fares have put them out of balance with the value provided...

I agree. I priced out some Haven cruises and was shocked at home much they've gone up. Hopefully, we'll become MSC regulars, and their prices don't rise significantly as they gain more of an American clientele, but I suspect the lower prices were to grab our attention and they certainly have! Although they are showing sold out, as I'm sure the two are, the MSC pricing listed for a YC3 now is $1k more pp than I paid when the itinerary was released for my upcoming sailing, and that was almost 2 years prior to my sail date in Feb 2017.

NCL does have some great ships that port within driving distance to me, so that does factor in to my costs, where I save on flights and hotel. I do still love the NCL product, and would go back if the price is right.

The recent increases in Haven fares have put them out of balance with the value provided...

And the price never goes down! They just fill them via upsells.

Several years ago we did a few suites on NCL and they were nowhere near the price they charge now.:(

Several years ago we did a few suites on NCL and they were nowhere near the price they charge now.:(

Essentially, they have permanently attached the Unlimited Drink pack and all other promo choices to the Haven/Suite categories... this is a big component reflected in the elevated fares.

Same ship, same Haven cabin, same week---> 2014 = $3299 p/p... 2016 = $4399 p/p

Edited by computerworks

We have sailed in the Haven on most every Norwegian ship... it is an amazing experience and truly changes the way you view any cruise.

We recently tried the MSC for the first time on the Divina in the Yacht Club as a change of pace.

In my opinion, the YC is head and shoulders above the Haven.

The facilities on the Divina truly make a ship within a ship... expansive YC outdoor sundeck, with bar, food and an actual swimming pool.

Le Muse was superior to any of the Haven restaurants on the new ships.

I must say, the quality of the YC staff, especially the butlers, were at a different level than what we have seen on NCL.

In the same manner that I was disappointed in layout of Haven penthouses on the Escape... the similar YC cabins on the Divina are not as spacious as I would like. For that reason, we chose an Exec Suite (YC2) and simply loved that cabin.

We walked away from our Divina cruise in the YC totally satisfied and pleased with the value.

I did not pack any differently, and dressed as I would on any NCL cruise.

I don't wear jackets on any cruise... that is so-last-century. :cool:

Pleased enough to book the Meraviglia in the Fall.

Glad to answer any specifics....

Hey Ron.....Happy New Year.......

That being said I have to agree with Ron...As a loyal NCL suite/haven cruiser

I have to say we totally enjoyed the Davina YC. NCL has totally out priced itself.

Even if we have to fly to Fla as opposed to driving and leaving from NY, its totally worth it. The YC is the only way to go....:D

Going back to the Davina in May 17 and the Seaside in 2018

Hey Ron.....Happy New Year.......

Going back to the Davina in May 17 and the Seaside in 2018

Hi Rich... Happy New Year to you and Loretta as well...

We'll be on the Meraviglia in September from Genoa... no plans set for 2018 yet... we'll see. :cool:

All the best...

As a frequent Haven guest, I am looking forward to YC on the Divina but have heard conflicting reports on the availability of shade outside.

Are there any shady areas or are you always in direct sunlight?

Thanks!

The One sundeck is not covered and there are no umbrellas. The One Bar and food service area is covered and always in shade.

The One sundeck is not covered and there are no umbrellas. The One Bar and food service area is covered and always in shade.

Thanks for your response.

I had looked at photos but couldn't tell if I was missing something.

Ship designs continue to bewilder me. Put a cover on the pool for no obvious reason? No problem!

Provide some shade for your guests? Crazy talk!

I have particularly enjoyed the various Havens for their considered designs ... all of them are able to provide shade with either covered pools, pergolas or just basic patio umbrellas.

At least the first table after the stub wall separating the bar from the sundeck proper had an umbrella during our November into December cruise on Divina.

We sat there often, but don't seem to have a photo.

gary

My favourite place in the shade on the One Pool deck is sitting at the bar enjoying my choice of free drinks!! Then stagger to the showers on the port side for a refreshing cold shower, then back to the shade for more therapy from the bartender.

My favourite place in the shade on the One Pool deck is sitting at the bar enjoying my choice of free drinks!! Then stagger to the showers on the port side for a refreshing cold shower, then back to the shade for more therapy from the bartender.

That sounds like my kind of therapy!

I have done haven and yc

honestly between the 2 i like the haven better as far as setup goes because everything is right where you need it - i hated going down to floor 7 from 15 to walk across the ship to go back up to 15 because it was near impossible to walk across 15 because of the wind

However, I found the staff to be more friendly and open on the YC

But then again if I wanted to bring food into the lounge or pool area on the haven there was no problem

yc is cheaper and honestly the difference is not enough to make me pay more to get the haven over the yc - i like saving money if i can get the same experience

Computerworks, the YC2 suite you stayed in, did it have a balcony?

No, it did not... just floor to ceiling windows in living room and bedroom.

With the One deck, we didn't miss it at all. The size and design of this cabin more than made up for the lack of a veranda.

Plus, forward facing balconies are not very usable anyway.