Avoid these cabins on the Vista...

JinxyB

...if you are a light sleeper! Just off the Christmas cruise on the Vista and had an amazing time with one of the few exceptions being the cabin I chose. I take 100% full responsibility for not researching the deck plans better. I usually book a Lido deck cabin for the proximity to the pools and food. I booked interior cabin 10280. The first night when going to sleep, I heard loud booming bass so bad the whole room was vibrating. At first I thought it was the noise from the big screen movie playing at the lido deck. After looking closer at the deck plans, I see I am directly over the IMAX theater-major fail for me! It seems that the bank of interior lido cabins just aft of the elevators is right over the IMAX theater, so be warned if you have one of these cabins.

Most nights a two-hour movie would start at 11PM, so I found this very disruptive to sleep. We really were not in the cabin except to sleep and shower/change, but if you are a light sleeper then change your booking. I don't stay out late partying because I have a young child, so I was usually in bed by 11PM. Thank goodness for my emergency stash of Ambien! :eek:

Edited by JinxyB

I'm glad that this didn't ruin the cruise for you... it seems a shame that with a brand new ship they can't do a better job of sound-proofing all the cabins, but especially those that will be around noisy venues like bars and special effects theaters!

We are cruising on the Vista on January 28th, 2017 and originally had this cabin booked. I was happy with the location but very concerned about the noise. A Havana aft cabin became available so we coughed up the extra to move. Thank-you for posting your experience, I don't feel so bad spending the extra money now!

I'm booked in 10274, but there is another deck between the lido and deck 8, where the I MAX theatre is you were able to hear noise even with a deck in between?

the imax theater is 3 floors due to the tier seating it has and the size of the big screen.

I'm booked in 10274, but there is another deck between the lido and deck 8, where the I MAX theatre is you were able to hear noise even with a deck in between?

I meant to ask some of my neighbors in the balcony cabins across the hall if they heard the IMAX noise but never got around to it. 10274 is close to 10280...if you have any problems with sleep then I would personally change to a different cabin. Every part of my cabin was vibrating and shaking with the bass.

I feel that Carnival should make these cabins "night-owl" cabins or have some sort of warning about the noise when booking. I seem to recall there were some cabins on the Destiny that were sold as "night-owl" cabins due to close proximity to the night club. Luckily, my child slept through the noise. I did not bother to complain because I knew it was 100% my fault for not doing my research and guest services would just give me some ear plugs (which would not have helped with the whole room and bed vibrating). I did get a few decent nights of sleep thanks to Ambien.

We are cruising on the Vista on January 28th, 2017 and originally had this cabin booked. I was happy with the location but very concerned about the noise. A Havana aft cabin became available so we coughed up the extra to move. Thank-you for posting your experience, I don't feel so bad spending the extra money now!

I'm jealous of your Havana cabin! I can't book one one those because my child is not 12. I went and checked out the Havana area one night and it was very nice. Just know that those balcony cabins do not have a direct view to the ocean. I got a good view from deck 10 of the aft cabins and they did not have a direct ocean view either (but neither did the aft cabins on Breeze/Magic/Dream). I also did not like how the balcony cabins on the side did not have much privacy. They did have a locked gate that separated the Havana area from the rest of the promenade deck 5. Enjoy!

I meant to ask some of my neighbors in the balcony cabins across the hall if they heard the IMAX noise but never got around to it. 10274 is close to 10280...if you have any problems with sleep then I would personally change to a different cabin. Every part of my cabin was vibrating and shaking with the bass.

I feel that Carnival should make these cabins "night-owl" cabins or have some sort of warning about the noise when booking. I seem to recall there were some cabins on the Destiny that were sold as "night-owl" cabins due to close proximity to the night club. Luckily, my child slept through the noise. I did not bother to complain because I knew it was 100% my fault for not doing my research and guest services would just give me some ear plugs (which would not have helped with the whole room and bed vibrating). I did get a few decent nights of sleep thanks to Ambien.

What form of disclaimer should there be and under what criteria would the "rating" be?

There are cabins across fleets in every category that are less than ideal from an "I can hear that!" perspective. Trying to form a disclaimer of "You may experience noise originating from outside your cabin" would be highly subjective.

I understand what you wish - that the cruiseline will own up to those "problem child" cabins that, due to location, can be less than an oasis of solitude.

Unfortunately, they never have and they never will.

However, we have a place like CruiseCritc where good people like you can share your opinion of those noisy cabins. Thank you for sharing! :D

What form of disclaimer should there be and under what criteria would the "rating" be?

There are cabins across fleets in every category that are less than ideal from an "I can hear that!" perspective. Trying to form a disclaimer of "You may experience noise originating from outside your cabin" would be highly subjective.

I understand what you wish - that the cruiseline will own up to those "problem child" cabins that, due to location, can be less than an oasis of solitude.

Unfortunately, they never have and they never will.

However, we have a place like CruiseCritc where good people like you can share your opinion of those noisy cabins. Thank you for sharing! :D

Actually, Carnival did on the Destiny. The inside cabins on deck 6 aft above the night club were category NO which stood for Night Owl. One was given the disclosure they were booking a cabin that was loud and had bass vibrations when booking and no refunds would be given if booking such cabin. edit to add: They corrected this problem on the Triumph/ Victory and and ultimately the Conquest class by not placing cabins in that location.

And I do agree, we are lucky to have posters such as the OP (thank you OP) who come and post this info about the bad cabins. Also love the posters who post the info about the "sweet spot" cabins too.

Edited by ferfoodle

...if you are a light sleeper! Just off the Christmas cruise on the Vista and had an amazing time with one of the few exceptions being the cabin I chose. I take 100% full responsibility for not researching the deck plans better. I usually book a Lido deck cabin for the proximity to the pools and food. I booked interior cabin 10280. The first night when going to sleep, I heard loud booming bass so bad the whole room was vibrating. At first I thought it was the noise from the big screen movie playing at the lido deck. After looking closer at the deck plans, I see I am directly over the IMAX theater-major fail for me! It seems that the bank of interior lido cabins just aft of the elevators is right over the IMAX theater, so be warned if you have one of these cabins.

Most nights a two-hour movie would start at 11PM, so I found this very disruptive to sleep. We really were not in the cabin except to sleep and shower/change, but if you are a light sleeper then change your booking. I don't stay out late partying because I have a young child, so I was usually in bed by 11PM. Thank goodness for my emergency stash of Ambien! :eek:

Thanks for the warning i'm in 10284.

They they play those movies every night at 11pm ??

These are balconies under the lido deck...

Very noisy when deck party and also scraping chairs early in the morning ..

I am going to assume all the mid deck 9 balconies would be noisy.

our kids were 9224, 9232, 9212 toward front and had no noise -