room decorations question....

jimvern1966

We are sailing next month for my Mom's 80th birthday. I have already ordered decorations for her cabin, but I want to decorate her door ( As well as the other 7 cabins we have booked). Will magnets stick to the doors? In the past we have used decorations that cling to windows... Has anyone done this recently? I read that Carnival has changed their decoration policy. Any input greatly appreciated.

Which ship? I ask because on the Breeze they don't seem to enforce and on the Dream the are over zealous.

Cling is a no no because 1) it leave an unseen residue. I know this because I recently had to have my wooden door refinished. and 2) it may not be fire retardant. Below is information from Carnivals FAQ regarding door Decoration;

In the interest of guest and crew safety, effective with cruises departing October 31, 2016 and onward, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable

Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings

You may use magnets and Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue that may leave a residue

Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door

No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies

No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite

No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit*http://www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

I can tell you I belonged to a door decorating group and members reported none of the doors were magnetic so I don't know why they say you can use magnets.

Happy cruising.

we are sailing on the Liberty out of Port Canaveral. If we get the magnetic decorations, we will have to stick them on somehow. For my daughters sweet sixteen cruise, we decorated the cabin with banners using painters tape, but I don't think that will work on the outside of the cabin door.....

Below is information from Carnivals FAQ regarding door Decoration;

You may use magnets and Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue that may leave a residue

we are sailing on the Liberty out of Port Canaveral. If we get the magnetic decorations, we will have to stick them on somehow. For my daughters sweet sixteen cruise, we decorated the cabin with banners using painters tape, but I don't think that will work on the outside of the cabin door.....

Tape is no longer allowed either.

No tape inside or out. Command strips only. There was a thread not long ago regarding door decorations here on CC. Or, If you are on social media you might want to look for a group devoted to door decorating. You can hopefully get info regarding items that fit with the rules. Just remember that like on here everyone will report their experience. This does not mean it is within the rules or has been since the rules changed.

Happy Birthday Grandma and what a wonderful way to celebrate her birthday.

So no more tape, huh? What are you supposed to do if the doors aren't magnetic?

We typically tape everything on with regular ol' Scotch tape and I make sure to clean wherever the tape was REALLY good after we take everything down to make sure there isn't any residue left.

So no more tape, huh? What are you supposed to do if the doors aren't magnetic?

We typically tape everything on with regular ol' Scotch tape and I make sure to clean wherever the tape was REALLY good after we take everything down to make sure there isn't any residue left.

Carnival allows the use of Command Strips. Perhaps you can use those instead of tape?

I can't believe they allow "Command strips" but not painters tape. I've had trouble with the "command Strips" pulling off the finish while using them at home, never tried them on a ship. I bought something called "removable wall stickers" at Hobby Lobby today that I plan to use on our upcoming cruise & have used this product on previous cruises. I find these in the poster area of the craft stores. They peel off very easily & I embellish them with my own little personal touches. But I am not sure they would qualify for use under the new guidelines. The new policy has most likely been created because a few passengers have not used common sense & ended up damaging ship property or maybe a few have left a mess behind for crew members to clean up. So we all will have to suffer the consequences of a few bad decorating choices.

The new policy is also for fire safety, not just making a mess of the doors and walls. We just got off of a Christmas cruise on the Conquest and I can tell you it didn't appear to be being enforced. We brought on 2 small tabletop pre-lit palm trees as well as gel window clings and a short strand of battery operated lights. I found most on clearance or at a dollar store, so I was fully prepared to toss and cut our losses if anything was confiscated at security or taken down by room steward. None of that happened. I took it all down before we disembarked. Funny, though for a holiday cruise there were very few doors decorated, even less than I've seen on any cruise. There were stockings, wrapping paper, hats, foam cutouts, etc. on several doors, though, all of which are supposedly not allowed. I used long Christmas themed socks as stockings for each of our rooms for under the trees as I figured if they called me out on it they were technically "clothing". (Got that tip here on Cruise Critic!).

Edited by luvtovaca

The new policy has most likely been created because a few passengers have not used common sense & ended up damaging ship property or maybe a few have left a mess behind for crew members to clean up. So we all will have to suffer the consequences of a few bad decorating choices.

I agree. We suffer the consequence of those that come before us that don't follow the rules and recommendations.

No longer able to bring water or soft drinks in bottles on board because of smugglers.

Staggered boarding because no one followed the recommendations to not arrive at the crack of dawn.

MDR doors now closed at 30 minute mark because people can't arrive on time.

Room Keys not issued on embarkation to keep people out of the rooms until they are ready.

I encourage everyone to follow the rules of door decorations. I suspect the next step is to ban decorations altogether except those sold through the fun shop.

I agree. We suffer the consequence of those that come before us that don't follow the rules and recommendations.

No longer able to bring water or soft drinks in bottles on board because of smugglers.

Staggered boarding because no one followed the recommendations to not arrive at the crack of dawn.

MDR doors now closed at 30 minute mark because people can't arrive on time.

Room Keys not issued on embarkation to keep people out of the rooms until they are ready.

I encourage everyone to follow the rules of door decorations. I suspect the next step is to ban decorations altogether except those sold through the fun shop.

Totally agree. Especially about the bottled soda/water. We all need to use a bit of common sense. For us, it's easy to follow the rules & still have a great time.

No tape inside or out. Command strips only. There was a thread not long ago regarding door decorations here on CC. Or, If you are on social media you might want to look for a group devoted to door decorating. You can hopefully get info regarding items that fit with the rules. Just remember that like on here everyone will report their experience. This does not mean it is within the rules or has been since the rules changed.

Happy Birthday Grandma and what a wonderful way to celebrate her birthday.

Thanks! I'm going to look for that group! She knows that she is going and that my sister, her husband and my husband, myself and my kids (17 and 19) are going but she has no idea the other 11 people are going! She loves cruising, and this is going to be an awesome trip! I found the command strips online , super inexpensive so I hope they work! thanks for the info :) PS everyone calls her Nannie...... even the friends of the family :)

I tried to use Command strips/hooks on our last cruise, but they would not stick even though I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol... ended up using a tiny strip of colored duct tape (again)... it stays put while cruising, but comes off clean when we go home.

Really don't want to have to rig a system of holding the door decoration up using a system of strings tied around the door knobs/hinges... :confused: