NCL Newbie questions

mjmalino

Hello all,

We have cruised a few times, but are looking at the Norwegian Breakaway. This will be our first cruise on Norwegian and we have a few questions.

1) Dining. I know there are numerous dining options, and I realize that food is very subjective, but what do you consider the best dining on the ship (whether free or fee based)

2) kids/teen center. How do they work? I am most interested in the teen center. We have been on both Princess and Carnival. On Princess the teen center was open until 1 am every night and there was a staff member in the teen center whenever the teen center was open. By contrast, on Carnival, the teen center was open 24 hours a day and it was only staffed a few hours.

Thank you for your help with this!

We cruised Jewel in 2013 and Breakaway in Feb 2015. We found the only "good" food was in the Italian restaurant (we went twice on a 7 night cruise - starts with a Cur can't remember the rest) and teppanyaki.

We decided IF we ever sail NCL again, we will pay to eat in speciality restaurants every night.

As for the teen clubs, not sure but it seemed they were open late (I'd say 1am) as nightlife on NCL is next to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The food in the main dining room is perfectly fine. In our opinion, the best food on the ship, currently, is in the Cagney's Steakhouse. 24/7 dining can be found in the O'Sheans Bar and Grill (pub grub), and the buffet has a wide selection of international foods. All of the food is o.k.,,,, nothing that I would avoid. Out of all of the restaurants, La Cuccina (Italian) is on the bottom of my list.

Teen club is open specific hours of the day depending on the age of your kids. Kids are always supervised while in the club.

On Getaway last year, the MDR food was the best I've ever experienced. On our most recent cruise on the Dawn we never dined in the MDR. Cagney's is out of this world good, like probably the best steak I've ever had good. Overall, I've enjoyed almost everything on both my NCL cruises.

dining:

definitely get the SDP and do cagneys as one of them. i also loved ocean blue and teppanyaki

i would never be able to go the entire week on the free food. i did find the buffet had better selection and quality some nites. i've heard the noddle bar is great but i never got there.

The Italian restaurant is La Cucina. Although our meal there was good, many people do not like it.

Cagneys is definitely not to be missed if you're doing specialty restaurants but I would give an equal vote to Le Bistro.

If you are going to eat in specialty restaurants get at least a three meal specialty dining plan so you do not have to pay a la carte prices.

However the MDR food is perfectly good so no problem if you eat all your meals in an MDR.