Booking shows/restaurants? Help Needed!

We are sailing on the Allure in April and I have been out of the cruise game for a few years. My how things have changed! All this booking specialty restaurants and reserving show times 3 months prior is stressing me out a bit. I am used to the "old" way of cruising...main dining room for dinner and do whatever you want afterwards.

Can someone help me out?

1. Are you pretty much out of luck if you do not reserve show times beforehand?

2. If you purchase one of the specialty dining packages, I see that you cannot choose the restaurants, but you can change once on board. This seems odd and like an inconvenience. Do they guarantee the time you picked if you change restaurants?

3. I also read that if you have a Junior Suite you can book the Coastal Kitchen for dinner, but only once on board. Is that correct?

4. We all know how you get tired and want to change your plans sometimes. Have you found it possible to make changes to these reservations last minute (in general)?

5. Do we choose "My Time Dining" so we are covered for nights we want to eat in the main dining room, even if that is only 1 or 2 nights?

6. Do you have to pay for all your meals when you reserve them now?

Thanks!

Edited by CruisinChic

There is a standby line for shows, so you still have a chance to get in, though you won't get the best choice of seats.

No guarantee you will get the restaurant or time you want with the dining package. If you must have a specific time and restaurant, then book it without a dining package.

Correct on JS access to Coastal Kitchen Dinner.

You can try to make last minute changes to reservations, but things like the comedy venue are typically booked full, with little chance for even the standby folks to get it.

Also, how do you add multiple nights for My Time Dining? It will only allow me to add 1 night. Don't I have to sign up for this as a backup so we don't end up eating at 10pm if we don't make a reservation?

Feeling very confused!

Also, how do you add multiple nights for My Time Dining? It will only allow me to add 1 night. Don't I have to sign up for this as a backup so we don't end up eating at 10pm if we don't make a reservation?

Feeling very confused!

The last time I tried to make reservations for My Time, I had to reserve one night at a time, exit the process, and then go in again to do the next night.

We found out the hard way a year ago that you need to book your shows on the Allure as soon as they are open on the website. This year we made a note to check 90 days out and actually found them open even sooner. Do try and get into Mama Mia -- it is excellent. The comedy show was so bad we walked out which we would not normally ever do.

Kathy

We are on the April 2nd Allure so January 2nd was our final payment date and the 90 day mark. We had opted for MTD and we were able to select our dining times several weeks ago. You actually have to go into your CP one day at a time. Entertainment finally showed up tonight. There is no hard and fast rule so you have to check daily. Again, back into your CP and select one venue at a time, check out each selection, receive an email confirmation. Once finished you should be able to go into you calendar and see every one of your picks.......dining times, specialty restaurants, shows, payed activities......you will also have options to modify or cancel most selections.

I made a daily chart showing all of my dining times and then selected entertainment so there would be no conflicts. My understanding is that even with reservations you need to get to the venue 30 minutes prior to showtime to get in line for seatin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by martyap

We were on Allure in late Nov/early Dec. Shows that needed reservations were available to reserve 4 months out. Some sailings it's 3 months out. I booked everything online, and deliberately scheduled them for well after our dining times (we had MTD at 6:45 every evening, with the exception of Chops at 6:30) so as not to have any scheduling conflicts for the shows.

FWIW, I was also very stressed about having to "schedule" everything. It the planning of this cruise, I felt like it was a lot of "work" reserving everything, and then making sure we would be able to stick to the schedule. But I will say that it was a great cruise, the entertainment was wonderful (don't miss Mama Mia--it was so well done!) and we were glad we did it.

So go ahead and put in the time to make your reservations, then go and enjoy it all. It is a different kind of cruising experience, possibly not for everyone, but certainly worth doing one time. Hope you have a great time!

We are on the April 2nd Allure so January 2nd was our final payment date and the 90 day mark. We had opted for MTD and we were able to select our dining times several weeks ago. You actually have to go into your CP one day at a time. Entertainment finally showed up tonight. There is no hard and fast rule so you have to check daily. Again, back into your CP and select one venue at a time, check out each selection, receive an email confirmation. Once finished you should be able to go into you calendar and see every one of your picks.......dining times, specialty restaurants, shows, payed activities......you will also have options to modify or cancel most selections.

I made a daily chart showing all of my dining times and then selected entertainment so there would be no conflicts. My understanding is that even with reservations you need to get to the venue 30 minutes prior to showtime to get in line for seatin.

We on are Allure the week after you, and entertainment still isn't open (92 days out but who's counting???). It's half making me crazy, and half fun to log in each day to see if it's open.

I had no problem making MTD reservations- it allowed me to make the whole week's worth of nights at once- I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Now it's back to checking the website...haven't looked yet today...

We are sailing on the Allure in April and I have been out of the cruise game for a few years. My how things have changed! All this booking specialty restaurants and reserving show times 3 months prior is stressing me out a bit. I am used to the "old" way of cruising...main dining room for dinner and do whatever you want afterwards.

Can someone help me out?

1. Are you pretty much out of luck if you do not reserve show times beforehand?

2. If you purchase one of the specialty dining packages, I see that you cannot choose the restaurants, but you can change once on board. This seems odd and like an inconvenience. Do they guarantee the time you picked if you change restaurants?

3. I also read that if you have a Junior Suite you can book the Coastal Kitchen for dinner, but only once on board. Is that correct?

4. We all know how you get tired and want to change your plans sometimes. Have you found it possible to make changes to these reservations last minute (in general)?

5. Do we choose "My Time Dining" so we are covered for nights we want to eat in the main dining room, even if that is only 1 or 2 nights?

6. Do you have to pay for all your meals when you reserve them now?

Thanks!

When in April are you cruising? We are on April 9th.

Here's what I did: I reserved MTD every night for 6:45pm. I figure that is our backup plan each day. We can always cancel that if we need to. Once I book entertainment I will move those times around if necessary.

Now they have a "first night done right" deal where you can reserve specialty dining for day 1 for just $15 per person. We will probably do that. You can pick the time, but not the place. That's ok with us.

Once onboard we will likely want to book another specialty restaurant or two- for you experts out there, is it generally easy to book those the morning of, or day before, and hope to eat NOT at 5pm or 8:45pm?

The one unknown for us: on our last cruise the kids loved the MDR experience because we had a fabulous waiter who really interacted with them. That was 2013- since then I've heard basically bad things about MDR service/food. So I'm unsure whether I should book specialities in advance...because what if the MDR turns out to be more fun...although now they are teenagers so maybe won't be as amused...

FWIW, I was also very stressed about having to "schedule" everything. It the planning of this cruise, I felt like it was a lot of "work" reserving everything, and then making sure we would be able to stick to the schedule. But I will say that it was a great cruise, the entertainment was wonderful (don't miss Mama Mia--it was so well done!) and we were glad we did it.

So go ahead and put in the time to make your reservations, then go and enjoy it all.

The one thing we've loved most about cruising is that unlike land vacations, you don't have to do too much thinking. All the reservations and scheduling are kind of a bummer...I'd much prefer to "wing it" and do each day what we feel like doing that day...there's no way to predict that stuff 3 months out.

I will put together the whole schedule (planning is fun) and then hope it all works out...it definitely feels more stressful than our Celebrity cruise, though...where the crowds weren't so bad that you could plan your day...that day!

We will be doing our first Oasis cruise for April 2018 and like others we are used to walking in to see shows and not have to schedule around our dining time. We are set for early dining, 5:30. Only time I did have to schedule for shows was on our 2011 Liberty TA.I do wish for MTD that they would allow us to set one time for all nights rather then doing individually.

When in April are you cruising? We are on April 9th.

Here's what I did: I reserved MTD every night for 6:45pm. I figure that is our backup plan each day. We can always cancel that if we need to. Once I book entertainment I will move those times around if necessary.

Now they have a "first night done right" deal where you can reserve specialty dining for day 1 for just $15 per person. We will probably do that. You can pick the time, but not the place. That's ok with us.

Once onboard we will likely want to book another specialty restaurant or two- for you experts out there, is it generally easy to book those the morning of, or day before, and hope to eat NOT at 5pm or 8:45pm?

The one unknown for us: on our last cruise the kids loved the MDR experience because we had a fabulous waiter who really interacted with them. That was 2013- since then I've heard basically bad things about MDR service/food. So I'm unsure whether I should book specialities in advance...because what if the MDR turns out to be more fun...although now they are teenagers so maybe won't be as amused...

That was pretty much the strategy I came up with last night after spending 3+ hours trying to figure this all out, fighting with their dysfunctional website and dealing with the crappy customer service guy on the phone. I booked MDR for each night, First Night Done Right and we will book Coastal Kitchen or another specialty restaurant once onboard if it's available. If not, oh well. I seriously found all of this beyond frustrating and feel the way a lot of you have mentioned...it should not be this stressful. We will try it once and hope for the best! If we don't like it, we will go back to our traditional 2nd seating MDR cruises with no reservation required shows. :)

Oh and we are going April 2nd.

The one thing we've loved most about cruising is that unlike land vacations, you don't have to do too much thinking. All the reservations and scheduling are kind of a bummer...I'd much prefer to "wing it" and do each day what we feel like doing that day...there's no way to predict that stuff 3 months out.

I will put together the whole schedule (planning is fun) and then hope it all works out...it definitely feels more stressful than our Celebrity cruise, though...where the crowds weren't so bad that you could plan your day...that day!

My thoughts EXACTLY!! The other thing that is irritating is when we booked (through Royal), the reservation agent made no mention of all this required booking of dinner and show times so I really had no idea until I started playing around with the cruise planner. I mean, I know you have to reserve specialty dining, but I've never had to book times 3 months out for My Time Dining. In my opinion, they should ask your dinner time preferences when you book, just like they used to for 1st or 2nd seating. If you don't know, you could end up eating at 5 or 9 every day.

I had no trouble booking MTD for just about the same time every night. Some days we went with 6:30, others 6:45......by choice. I am not sure why but I did each day individually and received a separate email confirmation for each day. Our entertainment opened about 86 days to sail date and it was easy booking the times to coincide with my MTD reservations. My understanding is that you can request the same MTD table/waiter each night if that works for you. We did not want to eat at 5:30 early or 8:00 late so MTD is fine. I cannot believe that the MDR is so terrible. Might not be as good as it used to but what is? Also, I read that they will be flexible with restaurant venue/times with the First Night Done Right promo......you just have to asked when you board.

Thanks! Any idea why you cannot reserve your kids for specialty dining? It says to add them once you are onboard. Again, seems odd.

Because they'd rather charge you more by you buying them individually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be my first time with RCI in over 10 years- we will be on Indy in May to the Canaries- do we need to do the same amount of scheduling for shows and specialty dining as is being discussed here?

Thanks to everyone posting on these boards - I appreciate the information!

This will be my first time with RCI in over 10 years- we will be on Indy in May to the Canaries- do we need to do the same amount of scheduling for shows and specialty dining as is being discussed here?

Thanks to everyone posting on these boards - I appreciate the information!

We sail on the Indy often and will be on the ship next weekend. So far, we have never had to worry about pre-booking the shows. With respect to specialty dining, it really depends if there are any groups onboard who may be booking a lot of tables on a particular evening. Best to book the restaurants ahead of time.

Kathy

We will be doing our first Oasis cruise for April 2018 and like others we are used to walking in to see shows and not have to schedule around our dining time. We are set for early dining, 5:30. Only time I did have to schedule for shows was on our 2011 Liberty TA.I do wish for MTD that they would allow us to set one time for all nights rather then doing individually.

Hi Gay....Yes, making the reservations is annoying, and frankly, time consuming, but on this class of ship it is necessary. It's one of many reasons why it took me so long to agree to sailing on Allure. I really enjoyed the cruise, and glad we did it once. With once being the operative word. Back to smaller ships for us.

One idea for you: you can call C&A and ask them to make your reservations for MTD. I've been known to do that;)

Hope you and John are doing well!

Edited by KeywestK

If you go to the Dining page of your Cruise Planner, there is a yellow button that says "PLAN ALL CRUISE DINING." You can go through and plan each day before checking out. You can do the same thing when booking entertainment.