Buying Reconditioned Camera

Hello, I would like to buy a camera that not only takes good underwater pictures, but land photos as well. Looking at the Olympus tg-4. Amazon as well as Olympus has reconditioned ones. Somewhat leery, as I've never bought anything reconditioned. Anyone have any pros/cons about buying one?

Thanks!!

Edited by houseflipper48

I bought a reconditioned Sony A6000 early this year and have had no problems with it. I buy reconditioned computers all the time too.

My theory on reconditioned items is that the manufacturers test them thoroughly before they let them go back out, so you are less likely to have problems with reconditioned items than with new.

Vic

Hello, I would like to buy a camera that not only takes good underwater pictures, but land photos as well. Looking at the Olympus tg-4. Amazon as well as Olympus has reconditioned ones. Somewhat leery, as I've never bought anything reconditioned. Anyone have any pros/cons about buying one?

Thanks!!

I bought the TG-4 reconditioned from Olympus. So far so good - no leaks. I should point out that it is not the greatest underwater cameras but it does one work.

One reminder however. If you let go of an underwater camera, it will sink. Make sure to get a float strap for the thing.

DON

Beware,

Best warrantee is on NEW. Many reconditioned come with greatly reduced warranty's. I had a friend get a recondition Nikon that had 50,000 actuations on the shutter.

It's always a great deal till something goes wrong.

Many reconditioned are returns that an end user saw a problem like soft focus. It's repackaged and resold and they hope you don't see the same issue.

If it 50% less than go for it but 20% less I'd buy new.

framer

I bought the TG-4 reconditioned from Olympus. So far so good - no leaks. I should point out that it is not the greatest underwater cameras but it does one work.

One reminder however. If you let go of an underwater camera, it will sink. Make sure to get a float strap for the thing.

DON

Thank you. Right now Costco has a good deal on a new one that includes float strap and extra battery. Do you recommend a better one for underwater pics?

Beware,

Best warrantee is on NEW. Many reconditioned come with greatly reduced warranty's. I had a friend get a recondition Nikon that had 50,000 actuations on the shutter.

It's always a great deal till something goes wrong.

Many reconditioned are returns that an end user saw a problem like soft focus. It's repackaged and resold and they hope you don't see the same issue.

If it 50% less than go for it but 20% less I'd buy new.

framer

Olympus has a reconditioned one for $279, new for $379. Warranty only good for 90 days on reconditioned one. Costco has one with floaty strap and memory card for $364. That may be the direction I go. Thank you!!

I buy used and re-conditioned all the time, including $1000+ lenses.

Just make sure you kick the tires thoroughly during the warranty period. If it's defective, you'll have no trouble discovering it during the warranty period. And you're saving a nice sum of money to take the very small risk that it will suffer a defect after that period.

Thank you. Right now Costco has a good deal on a new one that includes float strap and extra battery. Do you recommend a better one for underwater pics?

If you mean the float strap, the problem I had w mine was that the string came loose from the float - luckily when I was on land. I superglued them together and they seem to be holding. If you mean the reconditioned camera - no problems so far.

DON

Don, sorry no I was talking about the camera. You stated it was not the best in taking underwater pics, I was asking if you had a better recommendation.

THX

It is OK for a $300 camera. However, compared with an expensive camera in an underwater case which could set you back thousands, not surprisingly it does not compare. Just do not expect really high quality or really well composed shots with the thing. I do feel that I got my money's worth for the camera however.

DON

A point:

If you can return for any reason within 7-10 days without restock charges after you can inspect the camera and lens then I'm in.

Most USED items come with that option.

Check if it's reconditioned that you can OPEN the package and check the item out to your satisfaction with guaranteed right to return for full refund within 7 - 10 days. You might find once the package is open your only recourse is to send it back for repair not just return it. Many refurb. items have different return policies than if you bought a new item.

Everything is great until something goes wrong, find and read their printed policies.

I buy used all the time but always get the right to check it out and return it.

framer

New only for me.

Regardless if all comments already provided, it really comes down to your budget and personal preferences.

Likely no one will know if it is refurbished or not.

But, just like my vehicles I prefer new as I know the owner (me) and how he treated his stuff.