getting onboard/ getting off at the end...

Hsmama

Ok disclaimer here- not sure where to ask this, so I decided to keep it cruiseline specific..... I'm a newbie,so it's a noob question also.... not sure if different lines operate differently tho.....

How does actually getting onto the ship work? I'm reading different threads,and it sounds daunting.What am I supposed to know about this process? How do we know what time to get on? does it matter?

1. Keep all of your papers (Passport, cruise docs, credit card, Rx, etc.) on you! (Better to have it & not need it scenario.)

2. Follow the instructions.

In my experience - it depends! In Vancouver prior to our last AK cruise on HAL, we barely waited at all (they did not give out numbers & we were in an inside so no special treatment).

We walked up to Canada Place, gave our bags to the Porter (Always give a tip - couple bucks a bag or $5 for 1 big bag (don't worry about CAD vs USA$).

Walked through all of the crowd control/line markers to the bag scanner walk through metal detector, to the check in, followed their instructions, walked to the photo/key card spot, followed their instructions, walked onto the ship.

Got a feel for the layout of the ship (you can eat lunch at this time) & waited until we could enter our room/drop off our carry-ons.

I had a similar experience in Puerto Rico. (I remember that they had lemonade & cookies, but we didn't have time to even think about grabbing any we were on the ship so quickly.)

In Baltimore, we had to wait in a long line & after all of the above had to sit & wait (no numbers, we were allowed on by rows - those with special needs & those with status/suites, went first), but again, we just followed the instructions & none of the waited was anything like in the airport.

You can generally get on the between "lunch time" and an hour (I think - we get there early) before the ship sets sail.

I said follow the instructions, because, even if you are not handicapped, they may call you to be processed it that line...

Edited by TheCalicoCat

do you use a lanyard for id's while on the cruise?

If you are a man who will be carrying his wallet in his back packet all the time (even to the hot tub) or a lady who will be carrying a clutch or wearing a cross body, then no. If you are not going to have a manner of conveyance, then a lanyard makes it a lot easier.

You need that card all the time - ordering a soda/adult beverage - hand over the card. Buying anything in the gift shop - hand over the card. Opening the door to your room - use the card. Getting off the ship - use the card. Getting back on the ship - use the card. (A lanyard keeps the card out & at the ready.) Buying a lanyard because you dropped the card & it can't be retrieved or it flew off the ship (I've seen that happen) - hand over your new card in the gift shop.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

You will find these photographers at the end of the gangway at each port as well. Whenever possible we just politely say "No thank you" and keep walking. :)

Unless as a brand new cruiser, you want to buy them. They are Kitchy & over-priced, but the cruise ship photos are some of my favorite photos of my son by himself & of us as a family - taken on formal night. (I've already told my son that I will be buying one on our next cruise & that he has to pose/participate until I find the one that I like. :))

Edited by TheCalicoCat

There is another current thread in one of the New Cruiser forums about a larger than airline carry-on bag being "carried on" by a passenger. Up to a 25" suitcase will probably fit through the scanner. The porters may try to tell you it won't, but it will.
I saw one large suitcase (don't know what size) get jammed in a scanner at FLL terminal 21. Lots of irate people for a while!!

I like to use a lanyard - the clear plastic sleeve type on the Koningsdam (scanned card) and a hole punched in the card on all the other ships. I like to get the lanyard that has a release button near the card so that it is very easy to remove the card to be scanned and you don't have to take the lanyard over your head to take it off or undo the metal clip holding the punched card.

I take a magnetized hook and hang the lanyard on the hook that I have placed on the wall near the cabin door so that I put it there when I take it off and it is always there when I leave the cabin to grab and put on last. No more running back to the cabin, find a steward to open the door, to get the forgotten key.

I didn't think I would like the Koningsdam in-the-sleeve style key. (Can't be punched because of the technology embedded in the key), but I loved it because I didn't have to remove the key from the card getting on and off the ship. It can be scanned through the plastic.

Newbie alert: On debarkation day, you must have your card to exit the ship, and then it becomes your souvenir. Many people forget to have the card ready to be scanned to leave the ship for the final time. You only forget once because it is such an aggravation to put all your stuff down and search for the card. Can you tell I did this once????

Enjoy your first cruise. I have a feeling it won't be your last.

If using one with a clip the pursers desk will be glad to punch a hole in it for you. BUT, since some of HAL's ships have been upgraded and now require the card to be left without a hole you might get a lanyard with a card size plastic sleeve that you can just leave your card in and doesn't require that punched hole.

For our charter cruises we always get out ship cards pre-punched and everyone gets a lanyard form the charter company. I asked about how it will be handled on our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam that has the RFID chip cards and was told that we will get the same. I will report back in about a month.

On one of our cruises the picture came on as obviously someone who was not me. They said it was a common malfunction of the machine which puts the pictures on the cards. They let me on anyway.

My guess is that the pictures aren't physically stored on the card itself but that it is on the ship's computers and it is linked to your card; they scan the card and the computer looks up the picture.

My guess is that the pictures aren't physically stored on the card itself but that it is on the ship's computers and it is linked to your card; they scan the card and the computer looks up the picture.

That's always been my understanding, too. And I've also had a previous photo re-used. I think they're allowed to do that when it's been a second cruise within the same year.

I asked about how it will be handled on our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam that has the RFID chip cards and was told that we will get the same. I will report back in about a month.
Maybe there is a place on the card where a hole could be punched without messing up the RFID "antenna" part.

Correct. It can't be stored on the card itself, because they scan the bar code, not the magnetic strip. It's possible for the scanner to mis-read a bar code and pull up the wrong pic.

That's always been my understanding, too. And I've also had a previous photo re-used. I think they're allowed to do that when it's been a second cruise within the same year.
We had it done for 2 cruises within 12 months, but not in the same calendar year. But one year we took 3 cruises in the same calendar year and they took a new pic every time. Like so many things, maybe different ships do it differently. :D Edited by jtl513

There's two kinds of pictures taken. The one Jacqui was referring to is taken of each individual at the check-in desk and recorded so that it displays on a monitor each time you get on and off the ship. The second type, that joekerstef said took 45 minutes, is taken by the ship's photograpy concession of your entire group, with the hopes that you will purchase a copy as a souvenir. You will find these photographers at the end of the gangway at each port as well. Whenever possible we just politely say "No thank you" and keep walking. :)

edit: sorry joek, your post hadn't appeared yet when I started typing. :)

Can we say 'no thanks; and keep walking, or is it required?the 'extra' photos....

Can we say 'no thanks; and keep walking, or is it required?the 'extra' photos....
Not required. We haven't had one taken in many years ... at least 8. In some places it's possible to pass behind the photographer while they are taking someone else's picture, and in other places you have to wait in line and go through the funnel ... but no one will force you to stop walking and pose.

OP,

recognize your desire to know what to expect. My summary answer would be that typically the process is so very much easier than getting on an airplane these days. If you can manage the process of getting on an airplane you can handle cruise ship boarding.

There will be plenty of signage, it's really a lot easier than the explanations make it sound.

As to the time of arrival, that's pretty individual. We are in the minority who prefer to wait to board the ship until the afternoon, not exactly at the very last minute but well after everyone else has boarded. We've never taken a cruise of less than a week so we have plenty of time to eat the food in the Lido and to get to know the ship, it's not that big that we need hours and hours to figure it out. I've come to terms with the fact that I might be leaving a meal on the table, so to speak, that I've paid for. Squeezing in one more Lido lunch will not give me a increased sense of value for my money.

Twice we arrived early for boarding, at two different ports, and in both cases it was a nightmare we choose not to repeat. I don't want to start my vacation fuming at the rudeness of others or waiting in lines so we board later. In every case when we board later we breeze in with virtually no wait at all. We go right to our cabin and our luggage is already there (we do drop off the luggage in the morning), we've found this to be the most enjoyable start for us.