Horizon newsletter

Malcolm142

It is delivered late evening to advise:

The opening hours of each restaurant and whether this is for breakfast, lunch, tea or evening meal. Each will have it's location forward, midships or aft plus deck number listed.

A programme of events, (similar to the TV times or Radio Times magazines) listing all programmed events in time sequence, with details of what the event is, where it is taking place etc. This will include talks on tomorrows port, bingo, theatre shows, quizzes the whole events programme.

Featured events in the programme will be highlighted with photos and other blurb. They may highlight special deals at the salon.

The magazine advises on the ports of call and separate sheets will arrive regarding port maps etc. Excursion information with booking forms will be there too.

It's all in there and taking a highlighter makes a lot of sense so as not to miss stuff which you feel will be unmissable.

Regards John

I would manage your expectations, particularly during the daytime! Unless you are in to low level sport, health and exercise, quizzes, bazaar like shopping and sales pitches for the spa (thinly veiled as beauty lectures) none of which are my ideal holiday fodder, then there is little to do during the day, other than moving from meal to meal with brief rest periods in between :D

You can sometimes get lucky and get a good guest speaker. Two we enjoyed were a former Royal Flight Wing Commander who gave interesting talks on the Royal Family, Concorde and the Second World War and a criminal pshychologist who gave fascinating talks on a whole host of topics. Others can be weak with bizarre subjects (last cruise talks on heroin - I kid you not).

Some good recent films can be shown, but picture and sound quality in the cinemas aren't great and unless you get a front row seat your view will be slightly obscured.

Port talks, which used to be interesting years ago, are now a few minutes of low level info on the port followed by prolonged sales pitches for tours.

Other than the meals and generally relaxing, the undoubted highlight of a sea day is a behind the scenes ships tour. Quite expensive but worth every penny. Fascinating insight into how the ship and crew operate with access to areas you cannot see and free drinks and snacks, ending with a Q&A with the captain (something they used to do for all guests but don't seem to these days).

Evenings are slightly better. Headliner theatre shows are generally good, but less frequent than they used to be (I'm sure that they were nightly when we started cruising and are now around every third night with solo artists of varying quality in between).

So, in summary, there are generally a few things of interest each day, but rarely enough to provide wall to wall entertainment.

The cynic in me half expected someone to comment "why bother reading it, I just throw ours in the bin every night".

I think the restaurant times are crucial as breakfast varies port/sea days and most importantly on disembarkation day.

P.S. Monorail, have you ever looked at Wuppertal Suspension Railway on YouTube?

Regards John

I love to look on the back page top left to see what the 'whinge of the day is'

There's usually not much diversity, blocked toilets, hand washing, sun bed hogging, very occasionally an original one.

As one poster said after a few cruises there's not much of a surprise in the horizon.

Can somebody point me in the right direction or link so I can see a sample copy of the daily Horizon news sheet. I would like to see how comprehensive it is.

I am on Ventura March 7th

Hello,

I am rather sad & keep things like this .....

Hopefully, this will give you some idea.

I'd say they are pretty comprehensive ....

https://flic.kr/s/aHskHXyiqp

Hope this helps.

Joan

I don't think anybody has yet mentioned the details about where to meet when for ship's excursions - pretty important if you do them.
I think the restaurant times are crucial as breakfast varies port/sea days and most importantly on disembarkation day.

Agreed on both points. Two very important information areas in the 'paper'.

Makes you wonder if they will ever do away with the printed copy and go all digital on us. In theory on your cabin TV, but maybe one downloaded to your tablet device etc.

Personally I prefer that we still have the printed copies.

P.S. Monorail, have you ever looked at Wuppertal Suspension Railway on YouTube?

Regards John

I hadn't until just now. Thanks for the heads up. Amazing system - especially considering its age.

I thinking that's the same system Walt saw driving along on a trip Germany, which lead to the Disneyland Monorail System.