FLL to POM for 3:30 check-in...will a day-of flight arrival work?

AlliG

I'm travelling on the Navigator out of Miami this coming Sunday 1/15. Our current travel plans have us arriving in FLL Saturday evening, with FLL hotel and then Larry's Limo direct to POM on Sunday morning.

Our departure from Baltimore on Saturday now looks risky due to some projected winter weather, so I'm weighing switching our flight to Sunday morning with a 9:30a arrival time in FLL. I normally wouldn't risk it, but we also just got an email yesterday from RCI asking us to arrive for check in (by deck) between 2:45 and 3:30p (assuming because of past POM issues w/ long lines).

Even if our arrival is delayed beyond 9:30, we should still have enough time to arrive to POM by 3:30 (5p all aboard), right?

I would be doing the opposite and looking for an earlier flight, not later. If there are delays Saturday, those will ripple through to Sunday. If you get bumped on Sunday morning...no cruise.

It looks like there are only 4 ships in port Sunday. The complaints about long lines seem isolated to days when Navigator gets bumped to 'the tent' when 6+ ships are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be doing the opposite and looking for an earlier flight, not later. If there are delays Saturday, those will ripple through to Sunday. If you get bumped on Sunday morning...no cruise.

It looks like there are only 4 ships in port Sunday. The complaints about long lines seem isolated to days when Navigator gets bumped to 'the tent' when 6+ ships are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this poster. We had a similar situation a few years ago and were so glad that we changed our plans and left two days earlier rather changing to the day of the cruise. The weather problem disrupted flights for a couple of days and we would have missed our cruise if we hadn't changed to fly down two days earlier. Also, be aware that even if the weather isn't bad in your area you can be impacted by weather in other parts of the country. We once had a flight cancelled because weather in another region of the country left airplanes stranded in other places.

I agree with this poster. We had a similar situation a few years ago and were so glad that we changed our plans and left two days earlier rather changing to the day of the cruise. The weather problem disrupted flights for a couple of days and we would have missed our cruise if we hadn't changed to fly down two days earlier. Also, be aware that even if the weather isn't bad in your area you can be impacted by weather in other parts of the country. We once had a flight cancelled because weather in another region of the country left airplanes stranded in other places.

Agree that weather in other places (especially airport hubs like Dallas and Chicago) can really mess things up as well.

If you can, move to 2 days ahead (airline may let you change if bad weather is expected). Just call the airline and ask.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We're now scheduled to leave FIRST thing Saturday morning on a direct flight to FLL. If the forecast gets much worse, we'll see about switching to a Friday night departure.

Now to book rental car and possibly change hotels...

Sorry for gatecrashing the thread,

ive a sailing time of 3:30 pm out of POM just wondering would flights into FLL before 11am give me enough time,

Thanks

First, a 3:30 PM sailing time does not sound correct. Are you sure?

If your flight arrives on time, you could possibly get your luggage, get through Customs and get an immediate taxi rushing you to the POM it's possible you might make it. If there are any delays at all at any point, then you are screwed and will miss your cruise.

What would be your backup plan?

Security usually requires that you be at the port for check in 90 min prior to sailing - so 2:00 for you. The ride from FLL to POM takes 45+ min, so back it up to rolling from FLL by about 1:00 - have you pre-booked transport? Planning on using a taxi? Uber? :confused:

What if your flight is delayed due to weather, mechanical or crew issues? :confused: What if your flight is cancelled? :eek:

I would catch an earlier flight or consider flying in the night before -- missing your ship is not a fun way to start your vacation. :(

Do yourself a favor and don't book a return flight leaving before about 11:30 AM -- do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

Equinox sailing 4th sept has early departure slot 15:30

I'm flying from new York plenty options to choose from to get me in before 11.

Time wise was just looking see what the latest I could fly in.

4:00 PM is the actual departure time listed.

Again I ask...What is your backup plan if you don't make the ship in time?

I'm just going with what says on my itinerary 15:30 departure

I've just booked the cruise so haven't looked into much details yet, I would be prebooking taxis.

There are flights that get me in between 9 and 10am to choose that I'd be taking.

was just curious to know how long most people would give for day of cruise flight in as I was going to fly the day before

was just curious to know how long most people would give for day of cruise flight in as I was going to fly the day before

Most people don't come in the day of the cruise because it's always possible your flight will be cancelled or the airport to be closed for an emergency or bad weather.

You are flying in to MIA, correct?

I will probably fly into whichever airport gets me the best price.

Im doing a stopover in new york on route to miami just trying to maximize my few days there so just thought look into flying day of the cruise.

Best solution get the very last flight out of new york to either mia or fll

I will probably fly into whichever airport gets me the best price.

Im doing a stopover in new york on route to miami just trying to maximize my few days there so just thought look into flying day of the cruise.

Best solution get the very last flight out of new york to either mia or fll

You need to fly in the day before. End of discussion.

If you choose to risk it and fly in the day of your cruise, I would pick a flight landing at MIA instead of FLL. MIA to POM is an easy 15 minute cab ($27 flat rate fare - ignore the meter). Good luck - you'll need it. :rolleyes:

OP is already booked on a flight from BWI to FLL. Most likely either Southwest or Spirit airlines. Two carriers that do not fly to Miami, nor have any agreements to put you on another carrier's flight should the original be cancelled. And as already pointed out, delays are all but guaranteed to cascade; if flights to/from BWI are cancelled Saturday night, the aircraft and flight crew allocated to your Sunday morning flight will be stranded elsewhere. Again not to pile on but if any change is to be made is must be to an earlier departure not later.

Several years ago we had a cruise booked out of NO. My DH and I were meeting in Texas (me from L.A. him from Seattle) the day before and then catching a flight together to NO. We were going to spend the night in NO and explore a little before our cruise the next day. My husband missed his flight :eek:. It turned out ok but he didn't get in to NO until 10:00 the day of our cruise (with lots of trying to get in the night before). It was a blessing that we had that whole day to figure it out or we would have missed the cruise. You really never know what is going to happen and sometimes don't have control over what does happen.

Giving yourself extra time is worth not getting stressed out!