Pretty Disappointed . . .

travelbaybee

Why should they pickup the airfare? It was X's fault and their decision. The strikes by the french dock workers, which triggered the backruptcy, occurred 6 weeks ago. X should've been on top of things. RCI is a mega corp, not "mary and bob's cruiseline". They were caught with their pants down.

One little known fact is the millie is doing a 2 day cruise-to-nowhere when she returns to fort lauderdale. X could've cancelled that 2 day cruise and merely postponed ours. The people taking the 2 day are most likely local (many are on the preceding transatlantic) so they have much less to lose. Unfortunately, that wasn't the decision that was made. proably because the per diem is 2 and 3 times what I paid (i booked 8 months ago, some people booked well over a year ago).

I did not "decide the package wasn't for me". One can pack up and go to another resort and salvage their vacation. Its not possible to pack up and go to a different ship on such short notice.

sorry, I still don't think anyone should expect the cruise line to help with airline penalties. That is just my opinion and of course you have yours. NMNita

Separate from the specific points of this specific situation -- Nita has a point all cruisers should heed, re: the possibility that any or all ports could change. We got a dramatic demonstration on our first X cruise three years ago. Didn't get to ANY of the original ports. This was back when Century was alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean weeks. We specifically chose Western Caribbean, had no interest in the EC ports. Well -- what we didn't know at the time (as cruising newbies and lifelong West Coasters) was, fall is hurricane season ... two hurricanes got in the way of the WC itinerary, so almost from the start, the captain switched to the EC itinerary and got beautiful weather for the whole cruise. I had excursions privately booked in the "original" ports & knew NOTHING about what we might do in the EC ones ... but got over my panic really fast :) and had a great cruise -- TR

sorry, I still don't think anyone should expect the cruise line to help with airline penalties. That is just my opinion and of course you have yours. NMNita

We can agree to disagree.

If they would've made the decision to postpone or outright cancel the cruise, then it would've been covered by my insurance. I am not covered in this situation.

:) Hi,

This refers to Millenium transcon originally scheduled for 18th November. from Barcelona.

I agree 100% with you; Celebrity is up to expectations, and then some, here.

On top of the compensation offered to guests, just try to imagine how much $$$ they're looking at , due to the cause of the shortened transcon:: Original drydock scheduled for a shipyard in Marseilles, $650,000 deposit paid upon its booking time ; crew deployment and offtime assignment already set up.....the yard goes bankrupt a week before, all of a sudden,a search for available alternatives, one found in LaCoruna,Spain, material and labour crews have to be re-shuffled, ship crew have to be re-organised, another deposit for $650,000 to pay ( the original one is pfffittt...), a lot more time/fule to get to the yard in Spain, rough seas up the Atlantic coast further delays the deadhead move, etc etc etc.....

NOW, ...perhaps the OP would maybe get a better understanding of BIG problems vs Small ones.....

Cheers

Happy sailings

CG

;)

Celebrity goes over and above when necessary in order to satisfy their valued guests.

There is a sailing coming up in less than two weeks from now, it was a 14 night cruise or something like that, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, it has been shortened by the first two days.

For this, Celebrity is providing 2 nights pre cruise complimentary hotel and transfers for those that have pre-arranged flights and or as much as $250 towards flight schedule changes, as well as a $200 on board credit and 20% refund of cruise fares... if this isn't going over and above to provide their guests with more than expected as compensation for their minor inconvenience, I don't know what is.

This refers to Millenium transcon originally scheduled for 18th November. from Barcelona.

I agree 100% with you; Celebrity is up to expectations, and then some, here.

On top of the compensation offered to guests, just try to imagine how much $$$ they're looking at , due to the cause of the shortened transcon:: Original drydock scheduled for a shipyard in Marseilles, $650,000 deposit paid upon its booking time ; crew deployment and offtime assignment already set up.....the yard goes bankrupt a week before, all of a sudden,a search for available alternatives, one found in LaCoruna,Spain, material and labour crews have to be re-shuffled, ship crew have to be re-organised, another deposit for $650,000 to pay ( the original one is pfffittt...), a lot more time/fule to get to the yard in Spain, rough seas up the Atlantic coast further delays the deadhead move, etc etc etc.....

NOW, ...perhaps the OP would maybe get a better understanding of BIG problems vs Small ones.....

Cheers

Happy sailings

CG

;)

X will reoup their losses. they'll sue. something that i'm unable to do. its not like the port of marseille is going away. you can bet they didn't sign a contract agreeing to anything the port wanted them too.

Nina - since your a travel agent, how would you feel if your clients started calling to complain about a situation that X failed to notify you about? nobody's TAs knew anything before we told them. Mine was furious, and she's from a large A..x office and a top-tier X customer.

This is a good point, and a welcome positive spin in your otherwise angry postings ( you're allowed anger....)

I've made the same comment to someone else on this site, in another thread where some of us were '' chasing Mille'' on her way to drydock.

I still think the cancellation of the 2 day to nowhere cruise ex FLL would have been a far gentler way of dealing with a situation largely our of their control , and maintain the integrity of the original transcon itinerary...

Logistically, it seems to me this solution would have been a whole lot easier AND CHEAPER to implement....

MHO anyways...

Cheers

CG

;)

One little known fact is the millie is doing a 2 day cruise-to-nowhere when she returns to fort lauderdale. X could've cancelled that 2 day cruise and merely postponed ours. The people taking the 2 day are most likely local (many are on the preceding transatlantic) so they have much less to lose. Unfortunately, that wasn't the decision that was made.

It seems unfair to me that X has made these changes to your cruise in a way that specifically avoids your being able to use your insurance. I wonder if they fear suit from the insurance companies?

I think in a lot of cases, they ARE the insurance company. they push their brand of insurance pretty hard when you book the cruise.

:) Good afternoon,

You make a good point, also a positive spin in your otherwise angry messages ( you're allowed anger...)

I made the same comment to another poster in a different thread on these sites, when some of us wewre'' chasing Mille '' on her way to drydock. Cancelling the 2 day to nowhere cruise ex FLL would have been, imo, a lot gentler way to deal with their public.Logistically, seems to me that option would have been easier....AND CHEAPER to implement, while maintaining the integrity of the original itinerary...albeit pushed back 2 days.

I still think that.

MHO anyways

Happy sailings

Try and avoid an ulcer or a heart attack over this....Frustrating, yes....

worth capsizing over ?? NO

Cheers

CG

;)

One little known fact is the millie is doing a 2 day cruise-to-nowhere when she returns to fort lauderdale. X could've cancelled that 2 day cruise and merely postponed ours. The people taking the 2 day are most likely local (many are on the preceding transatlantic) so they have much less to lose. Unfortunately, that wasn't the decision that was made.

first of all, 2 days were cancelled, not postponed. 'a good package' is subjective, somewhat, but 2 days in a third rate hotel, paying for our own meals and entertainment does not compare to 2 days on a cruise ship with meal and entertainment included.

Obviously you missed the $1000 issue. obviously you missed the being lied to and poorly treat.

i am far from being the only person that is unhappy with this. and will continue to post and post and post and post and post....

The purpose of my post was to bring Tatka up to speed on what is factually occurring on this thread and others. Keep posting, your anger is showing I made no comments about you or your situation other than the last sentence. I purposely did not post my thoughts because of the situtation. You actually don't know how I feel.

It's nice that you all have taken this post about the Century and turned into your own battleground.

But to repspond to the cancelling the 2 day. How does that fix anything? People are still flying into Spain a couple of days before the ship sets sail. They still need to put those people in hotels. So now instead of inconviencing 2000 people you are affecting the plans of 4000. So you would then be refunding the money of the 2000 on the 2 day, plus paying for the hotel for the 2000 in Spaoin. Plus there will be cancellations from those who can't extend their vacations by 2 days.

By doing what they are, they are keeping the continuity of the schedule. You are getting back 20% of what you paid plus $200 shipboard credit, that should help cover meal and entertainment in Barcelona.

Yes, you lose 2 ports, but the cruise contract states the have the right to change itineraries. Yes, it's disappointing, but I believe what they are offering is fair. Yes, I'd be aggrivated, but I would find a way to make the best of it.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise and the aggravation you are feeling becomes a distant memory.

Hi!

Oh boy...I see there's lots of questions - hopefully I can answer everything!!!

The ship: Century

Arrived at for embarkation around noon-ish

Am not just upset about the change in itinerary, although it's pretty disappointing...there were other things as well. My take on things?

1) Food was excellent

2) Entertainment was poor, in general although there was an exception

3) Embarkation was a disaster - also disembakation wasn't a great experience

4) Change of itinerary was very disappointing - not due to weather but equipment failure...(one of the engines)

5) Cleanliness on the ship didn't seem to be a priority in the public areas.

6) Service, in general, was very good

7) Am not thrilled with my dealings with "Customer Service" - maybe they have their rules in place, but a little friendlier attitude would have been appreciated, considering (since I wasn't ranting or anything :-)

Has a cruise coming up on Millenium which has been postponed by a couple of days due to the bankrupcy of the ship yard. Celebrity had to switch dockyards for a long scheduled drydock and move equipment and supplies to another drydock a distance away. Celebrity provided a good package to cover expenses, hotels and loss of use of the ship for two days but ahoy is not happy and has been putting stuff on almost every thread. I guess they should have just done the drydock at the bankrupt yard.

Sure sounds like you were expressing an opinion. I see you're still reading my posts.

But to repspond to the cancelling the 2 day. How does that fix anything? People are still flying into Spain a couple of days before the ship sets sail. They still need to put those people in hotels. So now instead of inconviencing 2000 people you are affecting the plans of 4000. So you would then be refunding the money of the 2000 on the 2 day, plus paying for the hotel for the 2000 in Spaoin. Plus there will be cancellations from those who can't extend their vacations by 2 days.

Actually, people's insurance would kick in under the trip delay clause.

I think the other people have given the story of what happened on board with the challenges getting on the ship, as well as the challenges with our ports of call on this ship. As noted, it was on our roll call that we would not be able to board the ship until after 1pm. However, our TA (Expedia) never informed us of anything. We arrived at approximately 2pm, and the place was a absolute zoo. For those who are familar with Pier 18 at Port Everglades, the line went from the doors of the building all the way to the end of the building and around the corner (approximately 300-400 people deep). After you finally got into the building (about an hour later), you found that you had to sit and wait with about 500 people for your turn to go through security. However, they only had 2 scanners open, so the bottleneck was enormous. Then, we had to stand in another long line to actually check in for the cruise. After about 2 hours of this madness, we finally were able to get onboard.

X could have done several things in order to improve this situation. The most obvious thing would have been to have more than 2 security lines open. Most of the other passengers were elderly and needed assistance with their bags, valuables tray, as well as answering questions. They could have also treated it like any other hotel room would have. What would have been the challenge with checking everyone in, and then telling them to come back after 2 to board (with the extra security staff, that would have been a breeze)? In addition, the only people that were in the check-in area were the inept port staff, and 1 person who worked in the Fun Factory. Why would you not have more people there when you knew ahead of time this would be an issue? I understand that the ship personnel needed to be on-board for the inspection, but why not send in extra staff from Miami for this? The challenge wasn't so much the time, it was the frustration of not knowing what the problem was, and when you may end up on board. If they knew in advance this would be a problem, be proactive so the terminal doesn't turn into anarchy, as it did.

As for the port change, I understand that things happen, but it seemed like they were trying to gloss over something. It seemed like they knew we weren't going to go to Barbados, but didn't have the final answer from Miami, so they told us that everything would be OK. The challenge we had was with the fact that we had absolutely no time to prepare for a port we were unfamiliar with. The shore excursions for St. Thomas didn't come out on board until the night before we got to the port. If they would have told us the challenge and let us know, we could have done a little research onboard at the library to see what there was to do, rather than have less than 12 hours to plan. In addition, the reason we chose this intinerary was because it was visiting non-traditional cruising islands. Every Eastern Caribbean intinerary includes St. Thomas, and so when we heard that of the substitution, we figured that it would be very commercial and not very warm and inviting. When we visited the other ports, you got a sense that they were happy to see us, and welcomed us to their islands. In St. Thomas, it felt a bit like Tijuana, with the people outside the store asking us to come inside. It was not a pleasant experience, and one that we will probably not repeat.

We also had other challenges with the Guest Relations staff and maintenance on this trip that we will address to Miami, but these are the challenges we had with the the embarkation and St. Thomas substitution.

Nina - since your a travel agent, how would you feel if your clients started calling to complain about a situation that X failed to notify you about? nobody's TAs knew anything before we told them. Mine was furious, and she's from a large A..x office and a top-tier X customer.

I assume you are addressing me even if you have my name wrong: to answer your question: would I be upset, you #amn right I would, both as a client and as an agent; my point is still the cruise lines do not get involved in air refunds unless you book the air through them. NMNita

ps I am not trying to get involved in a heated discussion or right and wrong, more what the cruiselines will do in a case like this.

We arrived around noon-"ish".... I'm aware that sometimes things run late, but my complaint is really with the lack of organization and basic chaos the day of embarkation..... Having cruised more than 20 times previously, I have never seen such a scene at an embarkation....and generally speaking, have never found noon-time to be too early to arrive...

To the original poster: did you arrive at the port too early to board? What time did you arrive? If there was a problem clearing the ship from the previous cruise, that's not really Celebrity's fault. Lots of things happen to cause delays in getting passengers off the ship caused mostly by the passengers themselves. And if you arrived too early to board, that's mostly your fault, and that's why you had to wait so long. Personally, I think it's a mistake to arrive at the dock before noon because you never know what's going on and you might find yourself waiting for a long time to board the ship, again, through no fault of the cruise line.

Wow...I hadn't realized that there had been so much change!!!! I guess I just didn't realize....and the joke is on me!!!!

tx!:D

Also the priority captain's club boarding & disembarking is really becoming a joke. With most cruisers being able to get this benefit (since removal of the fee and the reciprocal benefits with Royal Caribbean), the shorter lines will be those for non-select/elite club members.

Hi!

Well...yes...over 20 cruises in the past 25 years...(maybe more??? maybe I should really count...) Missed a port because of??? Not sure what you're meaning... if I did, because of a weather condition, I would think differently. My problem isn't really that things were delayed, but rather, the manner in which things were handled (or not) by the cruise-ship staff at the actual embarkation. Maybe you had to be there - but people were getting EXTREMELY irritated - and I actually saw a future passenger take a swing at an employee!!! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was quite intimidated that day with what was going on in that building. I was frightened and concerned for my own well being (is that selfish???) It was getting very rough because people were at the end of their rope. Some organization would have gone a long way in preventing what happened there that day. Some place for people to sit...water or some kind of explanation....

AND...yeh, I was disappointed in missing the port...although I know that these things do happen sometimes...If I failed to send in part of my payment, what would happen? So, if we have a contract - and the cruise line doesn't deliver - not due to weather conditions, etc. BUT because of a failure on their part, wouldn't you think THEY would have a responsibility of some type to try to make things right????

Maybe I'm wrong - but one-way contracts, where all the responsibility is on my side just does not sound right somehow....

I have a question for the OP. You mention that you have been on several cruises, have you never missed a port before this for any reason? Been late to a port (esp during hurricane season)? If you have you already know that this could happen/did happen so why were you so upset by it. I know I am upset that I missed a port but at least you got another one. If you have been there x number of times, why not turn it into a sea day then?

I am sorry your embarkation/debarkation was terrible but it can happen on any line at anytime. Pax not showing up for clearance or theimmigration people are late can delay things quiet a bit.

Archived