Star Princess

twinlakeswis

We are booked on the Star Princess sailing to Hawaii on February 7th. I'm somewhat concerned about the condition of the ship based on a few of the latest reviews. Any information about the Star would be appreciated.

Did you look at this front page thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2440822

We were on the Star a year ago and she is definitely due for drydock. There is some rust here and there, the carpets, although serviceable, need to be replaced, and the decor freshened. If you look at the referenced pictures you can see rust on the hull. I believe she goes into drydock this April or May.

Now having said all that and despite what I said, we are cruising on the Star again in March for 15 days. We have no qualms about cruising on her. She is clean and the crew is wonderful. You should not worry about the condition of the ship, you will have a good time.

Now having said all that and despite what I said, we are cruising on the Star again in March for 15 days. We have no qualms about cruising on her. She is clean and the crew is wonderful. You should not worry about the condition of the ship, you will have a good time.

Rust on the hull doesn't worry me, the ship still floats. :D

We were on the Star in December. Issues that would bother me...torn upholstery, holes in carpet, dirty stairs, non-functioning elevators. None of that was a problem.

The ship was fine.

We are booked on the Star Princess sailing to Hawaii on February 7th. I'm somewhat concerned about the condition of the ship based on a few of the latest reviews. Any information about the Star would be appreciated.

We take negative reviews with a grain of salt and start the cruise with an open mind. Take note also on the positives.

I guess I just don't bother looking for defects, and don't notice unless they are glaringly obvious.

We sailed on the Star to Hawaii in April 2016 and everything looked great to me. It was a great cruise, interesting daytime activities, and adequate entertainment in the evenings. We even commented on how good the food and service was.

We were on the Grand a couple of years ago in an aft mini. On her it was hard not to notice the leaks from the ceiling and we were constantly having to dodge around the huge fans that were out to try and dry the carpets.

Don't worry about what a few people say. I have better things to do on my cruise than look for problems.

We were on the Star last year to Hawaii. Really enjoyed the ship. Way to many people on this site focus on the negative. If you look, I am sure you can find things that are not perfect, but we really enjoyed our cruise. The ship was in good shape, and the crew was excellent.

People are correct in taking reviews with a grain of salt. There may be cosmetic flaws but I have never been on a cruise ship that wasn't being maintained as we were under way. Hope you have a great cruise as we know we will. See you on board. [emoji4][emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the Star Oct/Nov 2016. First day in the Platter an announcement concerning the on going maintenance was made.

I watched the cranes load lots of carpet onto the ship and then each day a different section received new carpet starting on the Top Deck and working down.

From what I could see a whole crew was brought on board just to lay carpet and they would start early each morning.

No area of the ship was totally blocked off during install, however some times we would have to walk around a different direction.

I was really impressed with the way this was handled.

Bob

We were on the Star Oct/Nov 2016. First day in the Platter an announcement concerning the on going maintenance was made.

I watched the cranes load lots of carpet onto the ship and then each day a different section received new carpet starting on the Top Deck and working down.

From what I could see a whole crew was brought on board just to lay carpet and they would start early each morning.

No area of the ship was totally blocked off during install, however some times we would have to walk around a different direction.

I was really impressed with the way this was handled.

Bob

Did you have the new mattresses?

Husband and I will be on the 02-07-17 Hawaii Cruise also. Our 4th. time on the Star and 3rd. time on Star to Hawaii. They are constantly maintaining the ship. Things like the carpet can be replaced at sea during the night in areas not open.

You're welcome to join our "Roll Call" group.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373251

Edited by LarryL