Bringing wine on board

daka

I know that you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine on board per passenger in a cabin, so, if you have a bottle in each suitcase....what happens if you each have a bottle in your carry on?

Haven't tried that. But on our first and only cruise on Reflection we each had a bottle of wine in our carry-on. Of course when they scanned our bags it showed up. We had to take it out to show to them and they made a record of which cabin we were in. So if they scan your suitcases and see a bottle I am pretty sure that they would check their list from the carry-ones. I can't imagine that Celebrity would not have thought this one through. But perhaps someone else out there knows something more definitive.

Technically it's not one bottle per passenger, it's two bottles per stateroom.

If you are a single occupying the room alone, it's two bottles. If you are in a triple, it's still two bottles.

There is no list from the carry-ons. Carry-on screening is done by port employees, not Celebrity employees.

If you are sharing a stateroom and each of you puts two bottles in your checked luggage, it's entirely possible that you will be detected. They would see that both suitcases are destined for the same room, each suitcase has two bottles of wine, and you could be sent to the "naughty" room in this scenario.

Passengers have sometimes reported that they have successfully skirted the rule by putting two bottles in a suitcase and another two bottles in a carry-on, but you take your chances that you'll be caught. It can delay delivery of your luggage, which most people are anxious to get on embarkation day.

Haven't tried that. But on our first and only cruise on Reflection we each had a bottle of wine in our carry-on. Of course when they scanned our bags it showed up. We had to take it out to show to them and they made a record of which cabin we were in. So if they scan your suitcases and see a bottle I am pretty sure that they would check their list from the carry-ones. I can't imagine that Celebrity would not have thought this one through. But perhaps someone else out there knows something more definitive.

Never in all my cruises has anyone kept a list. I've never even had to take it out of my carry-on.

Never in all my cruises has anyone kept a list. I've never even had to take it out of my carry-on.

Same here. I take two bottles in my carry on. My room mate does the same thing. Yes we go through security before getting on board the ship on embarkation in the port not on the ship.

We boarded Equinox on January 2nd in Fort Lauderdale. We each had 2 bottles of wine, mine in my carry on, my husbands in his suitcase. They stopped us and asked if we were in the same cabin. They took 2 bottles away and returned them to us at the end of the cruise. This is the first time that port authorities have taken wine on embarkation.

I know that you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine on board per passenger in a cabin, so, if you have a bottle in each suitcase....what happens if you each have a bottle in your carry on?

When you do it, make sure the wine bottle in your checked luggage is packed safely from breakage.

Whoa, they did that? I must have been on about 20+ cruises with Celebrity always bringing my 2 bottles & never heard or have that happen. In some ports I seen them rather lenient. For example, leaving from Barcelona you can purchase your wine or water at stores just after you clear customs and check in. Kind of like at international airports with all those tax free shops located around the departure gates. I was leaving on the Solstice on a Western Med cruise. At one of the shops I met this Welsh fellow buying a case of San Miguel beer. I asked him, "are you sure they going to allow that & not confiscate your beer"? He said sure they will. I said okay, good luck, figuring he in for a rude awakening. A couple days later, lounging by the pool I see him enjoying a can of San Miguel. I gave him thumbs-up and laughed. I don't think I push the envelop that far.

One time when I was on the Eclipse for a Azores/Canary Island cruise I bought a bottle of Maderia wine in Maderia. They took the bottle when I returned to the ship but gave it back at the conclusion of the cruise.

and I was told by fellow CCers that they had bought liquor in various ports and were not stopped by security when returning...I had bought several small bottles of tonic water in Aruba...and started to explain that to the "screener" and he just waived me through. LuAnn