Msc for families? First timers

parkesyau

Hi all

We are first time cruisers and trying to plan a carribean cruise for 2018. Initially I was looking at RCCL then came across MSC Seaside

Ideally it's our first time and probably only time I'll get to the carribean and I want to see some of those amazing beautiful waters. I hear St Maartin is a must and the one I looking at visits Puerto Rico and Nassau as well.

Will the Seaside be a good choice for families on a first time cruise? I know Royal carribean offer ALOT for kids for days at sea I am just unsure what MSC level of entertainment is. Do they offer kids clubs so mum and dad can have down time. Kids are 7 and 9 we are in our lat 30's.

It's such a hard decision do I pick a cruise based on the ship or itinerary. Puerto Rico looks lovely but I imagine kids would get bored I know other cruise liners offer the kids a chance to stay on board in kids clubs while parents go to shore not sure if MSC does this too?

Any advise would be great. The Seaside looks wonderful with its slides and pools. Also what package is a good one to get

MSC have very good kids entertainment often see them marching through the ship all painted

Not sure if you can abandon them when you go ashore

If your late the ship sails regardless

And it does happen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Puerto Rico has two forts that might interest the kids. You can walk there, or take the free hop on - hop off bus. In particular, El Morro has a very large grassy area in front that would be perfect for kids to run off some energy...EM

We are in our early 40's with twin boys ages 8 and 7 year old boy. We have done multiple cruises. My boys love it! They really enjoy the kids club. We have never sailed MSC. I have booked the seaside for us.

When picking a ship make sure your kids can participate in all the onboard activities. Some of the water slides have height restrictions. No point in sailing a boat with bells and whistles if your kids can't enjoy it (unless you are interested). MSC has a waterside height restriction of 48 inches. Now i'm getting conflicting answers from agents that say they must be 9 years old AND 48 inches. I can't imagine them policing the age..that makes no sense to me. My kids have loved celebrity, royal carribean, carnival, ncl kids clubs equally. They are all fun and i hope msc will offer that for us.

We now sail for the boat and not so much the ports. You have to decide whats important to you. I would look at the ports on the forums to see what might interest you or your kids at the different ports. you might be able to find everything you are looking for...ports and boat.

Thankyou for your reply it certainly is a difficult choice as a first timer to make. I know MSC doesn't have quite as many ships in the carribean as other liners but I read the Seaside will have a big water area and lots of pools, bowling, ropes courses etc which sounds like plenty to keep the kids amused. Has anyone experienced their kids programs? I know Royal carribean is very kid focused with arts and crafts and science labs etc etc

This Seaside really looks like a beautiful ship. I am appreciating all the comments and help

My kids are elementary school aged. We've been on 5 different cruise lines, and the kids have been multiple times on Disney and once on MSC. We sailed on the MSC Fantasia last year immediately followed by a Disney Cruise, so it was pretty easy to compare. I know Disney isn't one you are considering, but I'd like to use it as an example since many consider it "the best" for kids.

A cruise line like Disney has a lot of bells and whistles for kids, no doubt. There's a lot of flash there. But on MSC, they enjoyed the vacation for simpler reasons: food, people, and travel. They LOVED the pastas and pizza. They loved being served their drinks in the dining room on real plates and with real glasses (no plastic cups).

They LOVED the interaction with the staff in the kids club on MSC. No, they didn't get a visit from Captain America or Minnie Mouse. What they got is really good, one-on-one time with interesting people. On Disney, they tend to sit in front of a tablet in the club and zone out. On MSC, they played old school games, learned songs in Italian, got their faces painted 3 times, and made pizza.

We are going on the Divina in a few weeks. It was an easy decision for us. We really liked the feeling of MSC. It was more relaxed and we hd a lot of good family time together. It felt like traveling instead of a floating theme park experience.

Oh wonderfulto hear. As much as we like Disney it's not really a deal breaker if we do t see characters while cruising.my kids a little over hugging men dressed up as Disney characters. I onthe other hand love it haha.

Does anyone have any good recommendations to the three tiers they offer when booking tickets. I know the first tier is the no frills then fantastic and wellness and aura.

I am a little confused am I better of purchasing stuff seperwtely? Drinks package for us will be important as well as access to kids activities etc. I am a little confused by these packages.

Are all meals and snacks included? It seems a little confusing. Do you pay extra for on board activities such as cinema?

Also does the kids club stay open later so mum and dad can enjoy some time alone?

Oh wonderfulto hear. As much as we like Disney it's not really a deal breaker if we do t see characters while cruising.my kids a little over hugging men dressed up as Disney characters. I onthe other hand love it haha.

Does anyone have any good recommendations to the three tiers they offer when booking tickets. I know the first tier is the no frills then fantastic and wellness and aura.

I am a little confused am I better of purchasing stuff seperwtely? Drinks package for us will be important as well as access to kids activities etc. I am a little confused by these packages.

Are all meals and snacks included? It seems a little confusing. Do you pay extra for on board activities such as cinema?

Also does the kids club stay open later so mum and dad can enjoy some time alone?

There is a good chart on this page that compares. Click on the link that says "experience benefits summary chart."

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Everyone has access to kids club activities. The way they wrote the benefits on that chart, Bella does not get the kids language and cooking classes. Our experience (and those of people I've seen post), say these are just things they do within the kids club. The childrens' staff did not check our "level" before the pizza class. They just took every kid from the club with them to participate.

We have booked Fantastica both times, basically because we like the cabins/cabin locations better than the Bella cabins. The "added items" from Bella to Fantastica aren't really much of an add for us, with the exception of priority choice of dinner seating. We like to eat dinner in the dining room, and the late seating is too late for our kids. With Bella, you may very well get late seating. There is a tiny chance you won't get a real dining room table, and instead will be offered table/waiter service in a special section of the buffet (this is pretty rare).

Meals and snacks are included in the main dining room, buffet, and sports bar for everyone. Not included are alcoholic drinks, fresh juices, sodas, bottled water. Usually there are a few things to drink for free, such as lemonade, iced tea, plain coffee, juice at breakfast, and tap water. There are several "specialty restaurants" on board that require a reservation and charge extra. There are also coffee drinks, specialty desserts/pastries, scooped gelato/milkshakes/sundaes, and smoothies for sale for an extra charge.

For drinks, you will have to consider how much you consume, the price of ala carte, and the price difference of one level to the next. Starting this summer, Fantastica gives you 12 drink vouchers per person. Currently, a 12 drink cocktail voucher package is $72, and 18 voucher package is $84, and the kids 10 voucher package is $31.

The kids clubs are open in the evening after dinner for mom and dad to have some alone time. I want to say it was 10 pm on our cruise last year, not sure what it is in the Caribbean. They do offer late night childcare after the "cut off time" for an extra fee (pre-registration required).

The bowling alley, 4D cinema, video arcades, and race car simulator are extra charges. Other entertainment such as the nightly shows are included.

This is fantastic information I was worried that there would be a lot of extra charges that would eventually add up. If we choose fantastisia are we still able to purchase the all inclusive allergeisimo package for drink? Or is it all changing to a token system. I like the idea of additional unlimited drinks and am happy to pay extra to add this for our cruise but I am not sure whether we can still add it if we choose fantasia.

I understand the 5d cinema is extra do they have any outdoor cinemas or anything like that planned?

I was worried that because they are so much cheaper than a comparison cruise on Royal carribean there would be all these hidden extras I would not see until we got on board. It truly looks like a lovely ship and is what we are after I am just skeptical being they are not very big in the carribean such as Royal carribean there will be issues with service and food etc. I know with Royal carribean there is a lot of pre planning required with booking in dinners etci image Royal carribean was the same. The travel agent didn't really know much about them and couldn't be much help which is a shame

We are booking davina this year and we have 2 children age 11 and 7. We have only cruised majesty of the seas previously which did not have much going on so think davina as a bigger ship should have stuff on for them to enjoy . I know my 11 year old would prefer languages and baking to running around playing games.

I've heard the classic drinks package is now being offered with fantastica bookings included ? and we want to upgrade to the premium package that includes mini bar too and champagne 😊

• 4 weeks later...

I'm seriously considering booking Seaside, but not quite sure yet. We have teenagers and have been on Carnival several times and they love the newer ships. We've also been on Royal and between the two, prefer Carnival - they seem to have more activities for teenagers and "young" adults - 20-25. Carnival also has the most "free" food options besides the main dining room that we've found.

I can't find any information on Seaside about the no-charge food options, other than the main dining room and buffet. Are there other no-charge places to eat on other MSC ships? If my kids were younger, I wouldn't be so concerned with them having stuff to do...but being 16-18, I just want them to not be bored.

Thankyou for your reply it certainly is a difficult choice as a first timer to make. I know MSC doesn't have quite as many ships in the carribean as other liners but I read the Seaside will have a big water area and lots of pools, bowling, ropes courses etc which sounds like plenty to keep the kids amused. Has anyone experienced their kids programs? I know Royal carribean is very kid focused with arts and crafts and science labs etc etc

This Seaside really looks like a beautiful ship. I am appreciating all the comments and help

I just returned from the Divina last Saturday and traveled with our 6 year old grandson. He loved the kids program. The waterslide restriction is Age 8 & 48 inches...not one or the other. My grandson is 47 /2 and he was a no go. I posted a review on this site for more details!

• 1 month later...

I am still so indecisive on whether to book seaside or not, having looked at carnival vista now and all it has to offer

The more I look the more confusing it is.

I am hoping the kids aren't bored on the seaside. Carnival vista seems to have ALOT for kids with high ropes courses IMAX sports pools kids club Dr Seuss theming and to be honest their kids area looks great I do hope seaside offer a lot for families considering kids sail free.

Seaside still comes out a lot cheaper for us than any other cruise I'm hoping that's not an indication of cutting corners

Hi all

We are first time cruisers and trying to plan a carribean cruise for 2018. Initially I was looking at RCCL then came across MSC Seaside

Ideally it's our first time and probably only time I'll get to the carribean and I want to see some of those amazing beautiful waters. I hear St Maartin is a must and the one I looking at visits Puerto Rico and Nassau as well.

Will the Seaside be a good choice for families on a first time cruise? I know Royal carribean offer ALOT for kids for days at sea I am just unsure what MSC level of entertainment is. Do they offer kids clubs so mum and dad can have down time. Kids are 7 and 9 we are in our lat 30's.

It's such a hard decision do I pick a cruise based on the ship or itinerary. Puerto Rico looks lovely but I imagine kids would get bored I know other cruise liners offer the kids a chance to stay on board in kids clubs while parents go to shore not sure if MSC does this too?

Any advise would be great. The Seaside looks wonderful with its slides and pools. Also what package is a good one to get

Our daughter will turn 7 next week. We've been cruising on Royal since she was a baby. However, what happened to us last summer on Celebrity we will never travel with RCI again. With that said, I had to resign to the fact that I will have to start with a new cruise line and all over on our status - we are Diamond on Royal.

At the suggestion of our travel agent, we will try MSC Meraligvia (June 2017) and MSC Seaside (Jan 2018). Kids club is a big thing for us. So here is what I found out on their website:

Kids & Juniors live it up big time

Every child is a member of MSC in DOREMILAND, with two special clubs, the Miniclub for Sailors 3-6 years old and the Juniors Club for Pirates 7-11 years old. Both clubs is staffed by professional entertainers who leave your children free to explore and socialize under their expert supervision, while also offering a wide range of stimulating and exciting activities:

• Arts & Crafts

• Group games and activities

• Sports

• Tech games, including PlayStation, Xbox and Wii

• Dance classes and performances

Opening hours*:

• 9:00am - 11:00pm while in port

• 9:00am-1:00pm, 2:30pm-5:00pm and 6:00pm-11:00pm while at sea

*Times may vary by ship or itinerary

Our daughter will turn 7 next week. We've been cruising on Royal since she was a baby. However, what happened to us last summer on Celebrity we will never travel with RCI again. With that said, I had to resign to the fact that I will have to start with a new cruise line and all over on our status - we are Diamond on Royal.

At the suggestion of our travel agent, we will try MSC Meraligvia (June 2017) and MSC Seaside (Jan 2018). Kids club is a big thing for us. So here is what I found out on their website:

Every child is a member of MSC in DOREMILAND, with two special clubs, the Miniclub for Sailors 3-6 years old and the Juniors Club for Pirates 7-11 years old. Both clubs is staffed by professional entertainers who leave your children free to explore and socialize under their expert supervision, while also offering a wide range of stimulating and exciting activities:

• Arts & Crafts

• Sports

Opening hours*:

Would you mind sharing what happened to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can STATUS MATCH your RCCL Diamond to get an MSC Black card (Their top level)

see this link for info

this is from the UK site but the programme holds good world wide

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/About-MSC/News/Status_Match_UK.aspx

Pete

This was my first cruise, but I found the kids club to be really well done, and I heard other experienced cruisers saying the same. My kids had a blast and loved the caregivers. I personally wouldn't pick MSC again, but my kids would. ;)

Also, my kids enjoyed all the ports you mentioned. Easy beach days, and my son can't stop talking about the forts in San Juan.

• 3 months later...

I hope not with the slide/age thing....My son just turned 7 and is already 4ft 4inches. He has been able to ride the slides on Carnival since he was very young. If we show up and he can't do the slides he is not going to be a happy camper :(

We are in our early 40's with twin boys ages 8 and 7 year old boy. We have done multiple cruises. My boys love it! They really enjoy the kids club. We have never sailed MSC. I have booked the seaside for us.

When picking a ship make sure your kids can participate in all the onboard activities. Some of the water slides have height restrictions. No point in sailing a boat with bells and whistles if your kids can't enjoy it (unless you are interested). MSC has a waterside height restriction of 48 inches. Now i'm getting conflicting answers from agents that say they must be 9 years old AND 48 inches. I can't imagine them policing the age..that makes no sense to me. My kids have loved celebrity, royal carribean, carnival, ncl kids clubs equally. They are all fun and i hope msc will offer that for us.

We now sail for the boat and not so much the ports. You have to decide whats important to you. I would look at the ports on the forums to see what might interest you or your kids at the different ports. you might be able to find everything you are looking for...ports and boat.

• Arts & Crafts

• Sports

Opening hours*:

The Seaside will have the Lego themed kids club as well. Including Lego themed day on each cruise.

And if you are Diamond on Royal you will get Black card status on MSC. I hope your TA told you that. No starting over!! You start at the top! The perks are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

The Seaside will have the Lego themed kids club as well. Including Lego themed day on each cruise.

And if you are Diamond on Royal you will get Black card status on MSC. I hope your TA told you that. No starting over!! You start at the top! The perks are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Yep we are all set on the Black card. Used it on our Meravigilia trip last month.