MSC Newbies

Gilpet

Although we've done several cruises with other cruiselines (mainly Royal Caribbean and P&O) we've never cruised with MSC before. We've booked one of their seven-day cruises from Southampton in September this year, can anybody who has cruised with other lines tell us what differences/similarities we're likely to find? We're booked into a Fantasia Balcony but not sure what difference that makes so any advice on that would also be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help, we're really looking forward to trying something new but any advance information would be great.

Gill

Hi gilpet, we are also booked onto our first msc cruise in September, we got an awesome price and it was too good not to snap up. I can't really help with your question as this is only our second cruise (we did an 11 day canaries isle trip with princess this September gone) and didn't want to read and run. We loved princess and I'm worried we won't enjoy Msc as much, but I am excited to try another cruise line. We are going on the presoisca and the video on the website looks amazing. Hopefully we both enjoy msc as much as the other cruise lines :)

Hi Gilpet and welcome!

I think there are many MSC newbies here, including myself, so it's hard for many to do a good comparison. I've done several NCL (love NCL!) and one Carnival, no Royal or P&O, but I'm definitely looking forward to a new, fun experience!

I leave on the Divina in 40 days and I cannot wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed HAL, Royal, Costa, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL and MSC. I have only sailed MSC Divina, which I understand is not the same experience as sailing MSC in Europe. I sailed Divina both in a regular balcony cabin and twice in the Yacht Club. All this is just my experience but I felt the cabins were beautiful and the beds extremely comfortable. Non of the rounded corners some cruise ship beds have! Also thought the food and entertainment were better than any other line I've sailed. The MDR experience on Divina was a bit off putting....the tables are so close to each other that the waiters can't even get in between them. If you want to leave your table and go to the WC there is only one pathway with waiters with laden trays rapidly going back and forth down it. But we had a drink and concentrated on our friends and the food!!

I think you will love MSC. The only reason I think some do not is it is a more European vibe (a good thing, IMHO!) and definitely has multiple nationalities which means you will hear announcements in many languages.

The Divina is an absolutely beautiful ship and I'm sure the other MSC ships are as well. Lots and lots of lounges playing different types of music at night. Drink prices are much more reasonable than on other lines.

Thanks for your really helpful answer Helen - I must remember not to drink too much before going to dinner ;). The ships certainly look beautiful so I hope we'll enjoy it as much as you obviously do. No matter how much information you can find on the MSC website, nothing replaces hearing different people's opinions.

We're going on September 13th Bex, and we got a great price as well, that was what finally made us take the plunge. We're looking forward to a new experience as well, we don't fly and only cruise from Southampton so it's nice to be able to try a line that doesn't normally go from the UK.

I think you're probably right, AEckhardt, I hadn't thought that there might be a lot of newbies on here as the sailings from Southampton are new. As you've done several NCL cruises are you in their Loyalty Programme? Did you know that MSC will match your status with other cruiselines programmes?

I'm sure that all of us newbies will enjoy the experience.

Gill

Hi Gilpet

We have cruised both P & O (8 cruises) and MSC (2 cruises).

What are the differences.

In my opinion the MSC ships are better than any P & O ship I have sailed on. They are fabulous and always spotless. I like that MSC have many bars with lots of different type of music. The entertainment is very different on MSC, as they are catering for many different nationalities. Mainly dance, lots of acrobat type entertainment and tribute evenings, such as Michael Jackson. Last time we saw some amazing tenors, not a dry eye in the house. We particularly enjoy meeting lots of different nationalities. Food is always subjective, I personally prefer the mediterian style food MSC serve, some was very good/excellent and some was OK.

I hope this helps.

MSC Poesia out of Venice in July '17. No roll call yet??? What closed the deal was 3 things - it's about $400.00 cheaper than a similar Princess cruise, and since we are Elite Princess loyalty members, they bumped us up to MSC top loyalty program - Black, plus drinks are included! We're excited to learn more about MSC as the cruise draws nearer.

I think you're probably right, AEckhardt, I hadn't thought that there might be a lot of newbies on here as the sailings from Southampton are new. As you've done several NCL cruises are you in their Loyalty Programme? Did you know that MSC will match your status with other cruiselines programmes?

I'm sure that all of us newbies will enjoy the experience.

Gill

I have done the loyalty match and that definitely was a nice perk! Where we are booked in the YC, it doesn't give us a lot of extras, but I do like how they do the points, with what you buy in advance and on board! I have to remember to send in my SO's loyalty screenshot, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gilpet ... Have you taken a look at the thread at the top of the main board by Skier52, you may well find a lot of answers in there.

With MSC there is we have found no inbetween, you either love them or you don`t.

Many people who have sailed P and O, Cunard, Royal, NCL etc have a problem getting MSC and expect them to be the same as the other lines. They expect the staff to be their friends, waiters to be the same as on the other lines and complain when they are not.

MSC in Europe do things the Italian way, we want something today, they give it you tomorrow but not always.

Go with the flow, expect the unexpected, try the different foods and you will have a great cruise.

Oh dear, that's disappointing! I had hoped for at least a couple of answers to my questions considering the number of people who've read my post. Maybe people who cruise with MSC don't cruise other lines.

Gill

A little research will help because this gets asked very frequently.

Hi Gilpet ... Have you taken a look at the thread at the top of the main board by Skier52, you may well find a lot of answers in there.

With MSC there is we have found no inbetween, you either love them or you don`t.

Many people who have sailed P and O, Cunard, Royal, NCL etc have a problem getting MSC and expect them to be the same as the other lines. They expect the staff to be their friends, waiters to be the same as on the other lines and complain when they are not.

MSC in Europe do things the Italian way, we want something today, they give it you tomorrow but not always.

Go with the flow, expect the unexpected, try the different foods and you will have a great cruise.

This is so true!

Most of the negative reviews start with a list of who they have sailed with previously!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app