First Cruise - RCI Explorer of the Seas to South Pacific Questions

Thanks so much guys! Will definitely take all the advice.

Just a bit confused right now however, someone in this thread said that the whole cruise is cashless, however we all just did our online check in and were able to select Cash as the option for our onboard expense accounts. What does this mean? We'd prefer to deal in cash as all of us have only recently started working and don't have much saved up in our bank accounts. If it is cash allowed, will it be AUD? We also have $500 OBC between two cabins, so not sure how that will work either. AFAIK, it's 250 per cabin, and it will be added to one persons seapass card, is that true?

All accounts are in USD. It would be best to take some with you.

If you elect to use cash, you just need to front up at the Services Desk first thing and hand them some money. I would be inclined to do the transaction in US cash and so not get involved in the ship's currency conversion.

How much you give them is up to you. Maybe try to guess how much you are likely to spend on board and add $200. If you exceed your account during the cruise the ship accounts people will come looking for you, so try to keep track of it and top it up when necessary.

On the evening before the last day of the cruise, not the last day, you go to the Services Desk to close your account and get back the money still left, in USD.

Getting excited now! What power adapters should we bring on board? Not sure if our cabins offer australian input (I assume not). And are power strips necessary? We do have a fair few electronics so I do think we'll need more charging points

HI all, just a bit concerned here, for Shadank's benefit, be careful about not taking enough cash with you.

If I remember back to my younger days:rolleyes:, I'd be budgeting for at least $100 per day. I can only assume RCL allow you to pay any shortfall with a credit card?

Now for my benefit, if a drink is listed as $10 US on the menu at the bar, how much is the actual price on the slip I sign? (Only been on Carnival so just being nosy)

Thanks

What power adapters should we bring on board? Not sure if our cabins offer australian input (I assume not). And are power strips necessary? We do have a fair few electronics so I do think we'll need more charging points

You will need a US adaptor plug or a European adaptor plug or both. Power boards/strips are banned as per RC listing. Many take a double adaptor type &/or multi USB outlet adaptor, either a US one that plugs in directly, or an Aussie one that plugs into the US (or Euro) adaptor.

Now for my benefit, if a drink is listed as $10 US on the menu at the bar, how much is the actual price on the slip I sign?

For all Australian RC cruises, the bar menu price is the actual (total) price.

Not sure what the rules are here in Australia abut drinking age on board?RC in the US is 21 -maybe someone here can clarify whether the boys will actually be able to have a drink

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Drinking age on board from Australian departures is 18 however you will need to produce ID on board and you can only purchase drink package onboard cannot pre purchase

Packing now :)

We're scared about our valuables on the islands. We're gonna have some expensive valuables, I recently got a new phone, my mate has an expensive camera that he wants to bring along to the ports and not to mention our other friends' phones and wallets. The main thing we're scared about it having to leave our backpacks unattended on the beaches and islands, say we're out in the water doing some snorkelling, our backpacks with our phones and cameras would be left unattended on the shore. What's your advice regarding this? Keep one person as a designated person who stays on the shore and rotates through the group?

Packing now :)

We're scared about our valuables on the islands. We're gonna have some expensive valuables, I recently got a new phone, my mate has an expensive camera that he wants to bring along to the ports and not to mention our other friends' phones and wallets. The main thing we're scared about it having to leave our backpacks unattended on the beaches and islands, say we're out in the water doing some snorkelling, our backpacks with our phones and cameras would be left unattended on the shore. What's your advice regarding this? Keep one person as a designated person who stays on the shore and rotates through the group?

For peace of mind, and the most guaranteed option for safety of your belongings is yes, if you take valuables ashore, have someone sit with them. Having said that, I travelled solo, and took the chance and left my gear while I was in the watermelon. I just made sure my bag was nearby other people from the ship. I also only took what I needed - phone, gopro, and a small amount of cash, i.d. and sea pass.

Some of the islands you will be able to either swim/snorkel in the morning and go back on board and get your camera, or vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

For peace of mind, and the most guaranteed option for safety of your belongings is yes, if you take valuables ashore, have someone sit with them. Having said that, I travelled solo, and took the chance and left my gear while I was in the watermelon. I just made sure my bag was nearby other people from the ship. I also only took what I needed - phone, gopro, and a small amount of cash, i.d. and sea pass.

Some of the islands you will be able to either swim/snorkel in the morning and go back on board and get your camera, or vice versa.

Watermelon? Hahahahah Oh gosh autocorrect hijacks my life once again!

Splurge on a speacialty restaurant; they will probably have an offer to pay half price on the first night (if you buy in advance). The Italian has the best food and service, the steak house is next best (the service is not as good and the side dishes aren't fantastic), and the Japanese is the worst (the ingredients aren't fresh).