Adding kids to existing all paid booking?

Maralya

There are 3 D2's and 10+ D3's available that can hold 4 people available as of this moment. Depending on what you paid, you might be able to move without paying for an upgrade in the base rates. 3rd and 4th passengers cost $418 each plus tax/etc.

Cape Cod, Lake George, Jersey Shore, Virginia Beach, DC, San Francisco, Montreal, London, Belfast, Killarney, Glasgow, Athens, Traverse City, Chicago, WDW - just off the top of my head of places our kids have traveled without us!

We've done NYC, cruise, Hilton Head, New Hope, PA, New Paltz, NY - off the top of my head, without the kids.

Ha! Never even thought about all the vacations the kids have gone on without us with friends, church, school, or grandparents. But Mr Yellow Duck would probably call us all bad parents for that too.

The first time one of our kids was invited for more than a weekend it was to Hawaii, and my daughter was 10, I almost said no. Then I called my mom and she told me to ask myself why not then asked me if I knew the parents well and I said yes we've been in the same adult Sunday school class since before the girls were born and do monthly socials with them (ha ha two a month one without kids and one with). Then she asked if I trusted them and I said yes. Then she asked if she wanted to go and of course she did. Then she asked if it was a great opportunity for my daughter and I said yes. Then she asked if I was saying no for my daughter or for myself I got it and we let her go. My kids have had many great opportunities because we have raised them to be independent and self sufficient and and they know they are important whether they are with us or on their own.

Someone said this earlier in the thread - my husband and my mother firmly believe that it's best that if I am away that I NOT contact my kids while I am away. That opens up the wound and reminds them they missed me...I keep in touch with my mom or DH (whomever has them) to know that they are okay and we only talk if/when they think it's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We traveled for the first time without our kids when they were both in high school. We went on a 2 wk bus tour. My MIL came over to stay with them in case of emergency. She complained when we got home that they wouldn't let her do anything! They both (boys) enjoyed the freedom away from Mom & Dad & I'm sure she enjoyed time alone with them. They enjoyed doing things for her & having her around. I'm sure she spoiled them to her hearts content without our being around to say "don't". That was back in 1982 so before cell phones. Everyone was much happier after their vacation.

No, I know that leaving without the kids is good for everyone in the end. But that was before the crying and really heartfelt and genuine sadness of not being able to go when she knows what she's missing out. We're not rich, we were able to cruise 2 years ago, next time may be 2 years from now, and now that she's starting school in September, it will become more difficult to find cheap and interesting cruises when school is off. And we're limited to Cape Liberty or New York for other cruise lines so we're able to drive instead of fly.

It's a difficult decision to accept to make her sad, it's like we're saying no to eating a 3rd dessert or drink wine, it's not like that "can't" come, we "could" have brought them with us like we did years ago.

Anyway... I'll feel better once I know if we even have the option to bring them, otherwise we'll continue to plan their own fun getaway and hope for the best!

OP, I would not worry about the kids, if they are close to their grandparents they will be fine. If she is sad now, get her excited. Don't tell your daughter about what you are going to be doing on the cruise instead tell her about that grandma has special surprises everyday for her. Tell her about the things she is going to get to do while you are gone. Let her know you are going to bring her back something special. The first time we left our kids I was going with my husband to a conference he had in Vegas and almost didn't go because I was worried about the kids but I learned they can survive without me with grandma. When they were young we really couldn't afford much on vacations so couple time was always business conferences my husband had that we would then either go the weekend before or stay the weekend after and really only paid for two nights hotel and one airline ticket and the rest was covered by his company. It was two conferences a year and it did not take long before the kids were just as excited about going to grandma's for a week as I was to have a little time to myself. I always came back recharged and I think a better mom for it. As we have gotten older the trips have turned into real vacations for both of us but I understand what you are saying about not being able to afford another trip for a couple of years. If you planned it without the kids though you must have wanted that time to begin with though. Do not let guilt play a role in your decision. Our three girls took their first cruise at ages 7, 5, & 6 and none of them recall many details from their first cruise. They remember bits and pieces but no real details. Give your daughter something to look forward to, maybe when you get back you can have a special day on the weekend, or plan a weekend trip with the money you will save not taking kids. Even though she is starting school in the fall you can still find a week that is good and pull her out for a week. We did did that when the older two were in grade school and missing a week of grade school did not hurt either one. The oldest one is about to graduate from college a full year early and the middle one is pulling all A's in college with an engineering major and no one cares that they missed a week of school in kindergarten, first grade or second grade. At that age getting the work in advance and having them all caught up before returning is easy.

You should enjoy your trip as you planned it knowing that you are leaving your kids in the best possible care of their grandparents and that they are forming a stronger bond with their grandparents. Plan a different less expensive trip with them and save a cruise for them when they are older.

Someone said this earlier in the thread - my husband and my mother firmly believe that it's best that if I am away that I NOT contact my kids while I am away. That opens up the wound and reminds them they missed me...I keep in touch with my mom or DH (whomever has them) to know that they are okay and we only talk if/when they think it's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When the kids were younger we lived by this also, found that for the kids out of sight out of mind (or in this case out of hearing). As they got older it was not a big deal to keep in direct contact with them.