HAL Oosterdam vs. RCI Brillance & Rhapsody of Seas??

SeaNStars4Me

I am thinking of a March cruise. My options are Royal Caribbean Brillance of the Seas for 5 days and stops in 2 ports that I've already seen (cheapest option), Holland America Oosterdam 7 day cruise with stops in several places that I haven't seen (middle price option) or Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas 7 days with stops in places I haven't seen (most expensive). I have heard RCI ships are really pretty but this are 2 of their "lower" class, mid-size ships without all of the "bells and whistles". I am in my early 50's and enjoy sunbathing, whirlpools, shopping, bingo, gambling, on-board movies, entertainment, spa services and good food. I am not overly active/athletic and cabin appearance/cleanliness and a good bed is very important to me. The only cruise I've been on was Carnival Paradise and the bed was the worst I've ever slept on, cabin was filthy, shower flooded daily and the entire ship was just gross in my opinion. BUT I've heard Holland is for senior citizens, is very dull and bland looking and boring. Really struggling with what to do. Suggestions appreciated-particularly from people who've been on the Oosterdam since it was refurbished in 2016. Thanks so much!

I've been on all 3 ship classes. All things equal (all being 7 nighters), I would pick Brilliance. RCI Radiance Class ships are beautiful. But, being she's a 5 nighter, I ruled her out first.

Oosterdam and Rhapsody are both nice ships. The majority of the criteria you listed are equal on both ships except movies and entertainment. Oosterdam is better for movies. She has a dedicated movie theater with comfy chairs. However, Rhapsody is better for entertainment. RCI pretty much always tops HAL with entertainment.

I sailed on the Oosterdam last March, just before they were sailing across the Atlantic for dry dock. We enjoyed our balcony cabin, as well as the accommodations for the entire ship. We found the food well above average for our tastes, the entertainment decent. What stands out for me on HAL is the quality of service by the staff. And the complete room service.

You are correct that HAL caters to an older crowd, and yes, my wife and I are in our mid 60s and among the younger ones on our HAL cruises. But not totally. As the above writer posted, you will find RCI and other lines much better with the entertainment. No doubt. Much of the activities on the HAL ships are over by 11 as many of us are headed to our rooms. HAL style is more muted and not as glitzy as other cruise lines, but I like that as well as the size of ships like the Oosterdam.

I hope that helps. As you consider selecting a cruise, these are good questions. Don't forget to take a good look at the itinerary as well.

I'm just curious as to why you are limiting yourself to ships that only sail out of Tampa? Seems to me that you could easily get to Port Canaveral as well (it's only 2 hours away) and that would give you the option of the absolutely amazing Oasis of the Seas, which I believe would be a much better fit for you. Their shows are outstanding. There is the all adults Solarium, and Oasis has everything else you want plus it is one of the most amazing ships in the world.

She has a dedicated movie theater with comfy chairs.

And popcorn! Missed that on the RCCL ships. Our first HAL cruise on Veendam (much smaller than Oosterdam) meant that Brilliance seemed like a huge ship but in the scheme of things is very mid-sized. Oosterdam is on the large end for HAL but is very similar to RCCL Radiance class. Brilliance has a cool gyroscopic self-leveling pool table that is interesting to watch if the ship is rocking.

All the talk of HAL being for seniors is overblown. We were mid-40's and felt very comfortable. Now early 60's but not selecting HAL for age reasons. Certainly not party ships but still not dead either.