Staggered check in- Jacksonville

dna529

Has anyone else heard what is happening in Jacksonville? The website does not state that staggered check in is being rolled out in Jacksonville. However, after reading on John Heald's FB page, I went to my booking and was only allowed to book 1:00 (it wasn't there until the end of last week). When I called Carnival, she said it was not being rolled out yet. Then she found an email stating that it was, but 1:00 would be the earliest time. I explained to her that I never received an email about it, but that I had for my April cruise in Port Canaveral. She didn't seem to care. Has anyone else been able to pick a time earlier than 1 pm (sailing on 1/28, but she said this begins on 1/23). I can't imagine everyone arriving early, and then having to wait until 1:00 to check in. I told her this, and she said everyone would just have to wait. I've been on 8 Carnival cruuses, and this just seems like a disaster in the making!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Has anyone else heard what is happening in Jacksonville? The website does not state that staggered check in is being rolled out in Jacksonville. However, after reading on John Heald's FB page, I went to my booking and was only allowed to book 1:00 (it wasn't there until the end of last week). When I called Carnival, she said it was not being rolled out yet. Then she found an email stating that it was, but 1:00 would be the earliest time. I explained to her that I never received an email about it, but that I had for my April cruise in Port Canaveral. She didn't seem to care. Has anyone else been able to pick a time earlier than 1 pm (sailing on 1/28, but she said this begins on 1/23). I can't imagine everyone arriving early, and then having to wait until 1:00 to check in. I told her this, and she said everyone would just have to wait. I've been on 8 Carnival cruuses, and this just seems like a disaster in the making!

I am on the Elation cruise coming back on the 23rd. I read recently on here that Jax will start staggered checkin will start on the 28th.

Correction to my previous post. I just "Googled" your inquiry and the staggered checkin will begin on Jan 23 in Jax on the Elation. Sorry about the previous post.

We did not get an email about this as well. I went on Carnival's website under manage my cruise and saw there was an edit button that was not there a few days ago. I clicked on it and had a few times offered from 1-3p. I chose one but we plan on going early. Faster to the fun, Platinum and Diamond can come as soon as they start admitting folks into the terminal.

I do feel sorry for ones who also did not get the email and have no idea that staggered boarding has started. And they have no idea how it works.

Carnival can seem to send me emails about everything else but this! Gah.

I am on the Elation cruise coming back on the 23rd. I read recently on here that Jax will start staggered checkin will start on the 28th.

I will be on that cruise as well. I am happy that it wont be started yet. We have to fly in the day of, I know not recommended but is necessary due to our child care situation, and should be arriving to the airport at 930.

See you there :)

Hi,

For what it's worth ... I bought FTTF and checked in online last week. I, too, had 1:00pm as the earliest boarding time offered. I called Carnival and was told that since I purchased FTTF, we would be able to board earlier. My FTTF boarding time reads 12:00-1:00pm. So, it was very close anyway.

I'm on the Elation Feb 11th, next month.

:). Bobbi

I booked a 3 day Port Canaveral Carnival Liberty cruise on 1/5/17 for sail date 2/2/17. When I was completing the online check-in, it prompted me for port check in time options. They started at 11-11:30am and staggered in 30 minute blocks. I of course, clicked the earliest time I could get. I will be curious if I will actually be on the ship by 12noon. I have contemplated the FTTF, but it seems as if this staggered early check in option is valid for 11-11:30am, my only benefit would be having the cabin ready.

I am on the 23rd cruise and got this email a couple hours ago about this cruise.It doesnt look like staggered yet,just other issues causing late boarding.It says leaving late but not what time.

January 18, 2017

Dear Carnival Elation Guests,

We are sure you must be very excited about your upcoming cruise aboard Carnival Elation. So, we'd like to provide you with some important information regarding our Online Check-In and embarkation process.

• All guests must pre-register online and select a check-in window. If you have already completed your Online Check-In, please re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin to select your check-in time. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.
  • You'll need your printed boarding pass, picture ID and citizenship documents to enter the terminal.
  • Due to very limited seating in the terminal, guests who arrive prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience.
  • Carnival Elation will be doing some loading and unloading of materials throughout the day which will cause a delay in boarding time for your cruise. We will begin boarding at 1:30 PM for all guests, including Diamond, Platinum, suites and Faster to the Fun.

Since we will need a little extra time to load supplies, our departure will be later than normal. Our itinerary will remain as scheduled and we will sail once loading is completed.

We're looking forward to welcoming you aboard for a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon.

Edited by Lava124

I am on the 23rd cruise and got this email a couple hours ago about this cruise.It doesnt look like staggered yet,just other issues causing late boarding.It says leaving late but not what time.

January 18, 2017

Dear Carnival Elation Guests,

We are sure you must be very excited about your upcoming cruise aboard Carnival Elation. So, we'd like to provide you with some important information regarding our Online Check-In and embarkation process.

• All guests must pre-register online and select a check-in window. If you have already completed your Online Check-In, please re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin to select your check-in time. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.
  • You'll need your printed boarding pass, picture ID and citizenship documents to enter the terminal.
  • Due to very limited seating in the terminal, guests who arrive prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience.
  • Carnival Elation will be doing some loading and unloading of materials throughout the day which will cause a delay in boarding time for your cruise. We will begin boarding at 1:30 PM for all guests, including Diamond, Platinum, suites and Faster to the Fun.

Since we will need a little extra time to load supplies, our departure will be later than normal. Our itinerary will remain as scheduled and we will sail once loading is completed.

We're looking forward to welcoming you aboard for a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon.

That e-mail, says EXACTLY, that it will be staggered check in boarding this cruise.

Edited by bguppies

We are also on the January 23 sailing of the Elation and FINALLY got the email from Carnival today. Since John Heald posted the info about staggered check-in a week or two ago, I think Carnival is a little remiss about taking so long to inform us.

Two of us are platinum and we are in a suite so I know we will be able to enter the terminal earlier than our stated time (I was able to choose 1:00 as the earliest), but I am a little concerned about the late embarkation due to "loading of materials". Our flight arrives at 11:25 and I am sure many others are even earlier than that. Sure hope it isn't raining if we are standing outside!

I hope this is not still happening! But just in case...

DIA/PLT/FTTF who arrive early, be prepared to have to contend with a port entry security guard who did not READ the memo, that states PRIORITY guests can check in anytime at their leisure!:)

We have had a couple of issues at the port entry gate since the check in time began appearing on the boarding passes (BP). We pointed to the PRIORITY stamp a few times and finally asked for another guard to assist.

The first guard told us to turn around and come back at the time on the BP? The second waved us thru both times. So be sure to ask for the person in charge at the gate if there is an issue, before turning around and coming back later.

Again, this applies to DIA/PLT/FTTF pax only.:)

Edited by jwjax

I hope this is not still happening! But just in case...

DIA/PLT/FTTF who arrive early, be prepared to have to contend with a port entry security guard who did not READ the memo, that states PRIORITY guests can check in anytime at their leisure!:)

We have had a couple of issues at the port entry gate since the check in time began appearing on the boarding passes (BP). We pointed to the PRIORITY stamp a few times and finally asked for another guard to assist.

The first guard told us to turn around and come back at the time on the BP? The second waved us thru both times. So be sure to ask for the person in charge at the gate if there is an issue, before turning around and coming back later.

Again, this applies to DIA/PLT/FTTF pax only.:)

Are you saying that you can't even park your car and drop off luggage in the morning? It seems like the parking lot will be a madhouse at 1:00 with everyone arriving at the same time.

We will be taking a taxi from the airport and sure don't plan on paying to be driven around until they will let us in to drop off luggage. One of us is a first time cruiser. I sure hope things go somewhat smoothly so her first impression of cruising is a good one!!

I agree. We are finally cruising with our family, most of whom have never cruised before. I hope their first experience goes smoothly!

This my exact worry.

DW and I have both been on 15-20 cruises.

Her parents went once with us.

The other 4 from her family are first time cruisers.

Been trying to talk them into trying for years.

A clusterf*#% with the first day of staggered boarding in JAX won't help with the first impressions of cruising.

Are you saying that you can't even park your car and drop off luggage in the morning? It seems like the parking lot will be a madhouse at 1:00 with everyone arriving at the same time.

Actually, the issue is that the Boarding Pass has a specific time on it now (and back when we had some problems)

The port security guards were (or still are), not informed on the what the times listed on the boarding pass mean.

Even when JAX does begin the Staggered Check, there may still be some confusion. Parking is not addressed, nor luggage drop off as far as I have read about the staggered check in policy.

Just a Note.... JAXPORT has always been strict on port entry times. It has always began at 10:30am or so, sometimes later if weather conditions or other issues cause the ship to arrive late.

Edited by jwjax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone else had recent experience with the actual boarding/departure times after receiving this email? We always get to the port early in the morning so we're on the ship by 11 or 12. Are they actually strictly enforcing the 1:30 pm boarding time and turning people away or is it somewhat flexible?

Left on 3/16 on the Elation. Had 1:00 to 1:30 check in time...... line was extremely long when we arrived at 12:50. Thankfully we had priority check in so we didn't have to wait but the lines was all the way to the parking lot!

Left on 3/16 on the Elation. Had 1:00 to 1:30 check in time...... line was extremely long when we arrived at 12:50. Thankfully we had priority check in so we didn't have to wait but the lines was all the way to the parking lot!

Grrr. Have 1pm check in time in May.

Hoping others post recent experiences as well!

Thanks