Muster Drill Alarm Notification for Deaf Passengers

RyanR1982

Hello All,

My partner is deaf and we are curious about the notification of when the muster drill would be like for a deaf passenger traveling on Princess.... Yes I would be with him at the time of the sailing but we are just curious for our own information....

Any help would be great.... We already have ASL interpreters lined up through Princess for when we go on excursions or shows on board etc....

Thanks

Not sure if you've already contacted Princess about this - doesn't specifically mention Muster, but some of these might be helpful. You have to request this kit. Contact their Access department (accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com)

From Princess's Accessibility Website:

Sight and Hearing Disabilities

Guests with sight and hearing disabilities will find vessels equipped with such helpful features as Braille elevator call buttons, audible arrival sounds and infrared listening assistance systems in the Princess theaters. ADA "all in one" kits are available upon request -- featuring telephone amplifiers, visual smoke detectors, door knock sensors, text telephones (TDD) and other aids. In-cabin movies feature close captioning, and ship libraries feature a selection of books on tape.

Basically, you would show up at the assigned time and location and report to whoever is taking attendance, advising that you are deaf. I think it's worth asking that your stateroom be noted for special assistance and your steward briefed in case of an emergency, so they make sure you aren't left in your room.

I believe some cruise lines will provide a script of the basic info the captain reads over the loud speaker. There's sometimes a captioned safety demo video on the stateroom TV.

I travel with a hearing dog who alerts me to alarms when they sound, along with door knocks, etc.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Each cruise line is different but all will provide you with the appropriate assistance if asked.

FYI: Hearing Dogs are provided by Canine Companions for Independence in Santa Rosa, CA. They cost you nothing except your time in learning dog behavior and interviewing with a trainer to see if you have the "right stuff" to handle a Service Dog. The dog will alert you to sounds in your environment and will even assist in doing tasks such as opening doors, picking up dropped objects, turning off and on lights, etc.

Just trying to be helpful! I hope I haven't overstepped any boundaries!

Thanks but we won't have time to get a dog as we only have a few hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course. When you're not rushing around to make this the best cruise ever, and I certainly hope it is and if you love dogs and this interests you, even the tiniest bit.....look into it, you won't believe what a difference a 4 legged, hairy fur ball can make in your life!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!