What's your favorite thing about the Pearl?

gkrnjlr

I sailed on the Pearl many years ago to Alaska. My sister and I are going to be on the Pearl again this March. I don't remember much about the ship and I'm sure there have been some additions since I was on there last.

I saw on a deck plan that there's a climbing wall? YAY! What is the weight limit on that? Does anyone know?

We were on the Escape in 2016 and were spoiled. Loved the ship, but I know the Pearl doesn't have the ropes course, etc. What was your favorite thing about the Pearl?

The crew.

The Spinnaker during the day. It's a great view.

The Great Outdoors for leisurely snacks/meals/drinks as we sail away

The rhythm of a cruise on a smaller ship. And fewer crowds. It will not be as hectic as the Escape so you may want to take a book to read, but you will have a great time.

Not having to make reservations for everything!!!!!!!

Not sure how long ago you cruised, but other than newer restaurants and updated names of restaurants, probably not much has changed.

Edited by drvalo

OMG no joke! The making reservations for everything was the pits! I forgot all about that!

Do you recall seeing the rock climbing wall? Is it busy? I did the ropes course on the Escape but not sure I can do the rock climbing wall. Hmm...

The Pearl is my only cruise ship experience to date, but there was much to love about it. First on the list would be the Spinnaker lounge. Loved the views and the comfy lounge chairs. Bar was never crowded, even during Bingo or other activities, so it was easy to grab a drink and just relax and watch the world go by.

I really enjoyed the views from The Great Outdoors. And from the sports deck (up by the basketball court where my older son hung out) and the rock wall. The rock wall lines weren't too bad. My younger son climbed twice. Once, he had to wait about 15 minutes. The other time, we got there about 10 minute ahead of it opening, and he was 2nd in line.

The hot tubs were great--not crowded--but then again, it was an Alaskan cruise.

Loved Cagneys--had a fabulous meal there. And had a great time at Teppanyaki. We liked the food and the "show" was quite entertaining.

What else? I really liked my mini-suite balcony with overhang. Nice sized, and it kept us dry.

We had fun bowling in the Bliss Lounge--had to wait a little, but not too bad.

Honestly, the size of the ship was just perfect--not too big, not too small.

ETA: Another Pearl favorite for me was just how many restaurants and venues had large windows--nothing better than a meal with a view!

Edited by lmintzer

I was on the Pearl in September for a quick repositioning cruise and loved her!

I did hear she was supposed to go into dry dock this Spring.

Yes, there is a climbing wall on the back, not sure on weight limits.

I did enjoy my time in the Thermal Suite. I hope they move the heated beds to face the windows like they are in other ships I've been on, but it was a nice relaxing space. The sauna had amazing views, but was way too warm to stay long.

I've heard rumours of updating Summer Palace (the main restaurant), the seating and decor details seemed a bit tired, so did the pool area. One of the other restaurants (Indigo?) was already updated and looked amazing.

:)

The Pearl is my only cruise ship experience to date, but there was much to love about it. First on the list would be the Spinnaker lounge. Loved the views and the comfy lounge chairs. Bar was never crowded, even during Bingo or other activities, so it was easy to grab a drink and just relax and watch the world go by.

I really enjoyed the views from The Great Outdoors. And from the sports deck (up by the basketball court where my older son hung out) and the rock wall. The rock wall lines weren't too bad. My younger son climbed twice. Once, he had to wait about 15 minutes. The other time, we got there about 10 minute ahead of it opening, and he was 2nd in line.

The hot tubs were great--not crowded--but then again, it was an Alaskan cruise.

Loved Cagneys--had a fabulous meal there. And had a great time at Teppanyaki. We liked the food and the "show" was quite entertaining.

What else? I really liked my mini-suite balcony with overhang. Nice sized, and it kept us dry.

We had fun bowling in the Bliss Lounge--had to wait a little, but not too bad.

Honestly, the size of the ship was just perfect--not too big, not too small.

ETA: Another Pearl favorite for me was just how many restaurants and venues had large windows--nothing better than a meal with a view!

Hi, do you recall the cost to bowl?

The Great Outdoors at 3:30 has cookies and snacks....especially love when they have the oatmeal raisin cookies.

The crew is excellent

Cagney's and the Teppanyaki resturant

The size of the ship

Aft penthouse 10164

Yes. Will be in that one next cruise.

NCL tells me I may have to wait up to two hours to board; is that typical? RCCL gets you on in about 15 minutes typically

January last year getting on the Escape was horrendous. It took about 2 hours to get on the ship. It was the first time it's ever been that bad for us, though. Hopefully you won't experience that.

NCL tells me I may have to wait up to two hours to board; is that typical? RCCL gets you on in about 15 minutes typically

When we boarded the Pearl in September, it was 20 minutes from arriving at the port (Seattle) to getting on the ship. I was the quickest I had ever boarded before!

It also helped that we arrived by 11:30am?

Ugh, just got off Pearl and had a awful time boarding. Over 2 1/2 hours waiting like a heard of cattle in a hot tent. Apparently not NCLs fault, POM was overbooked and Pearl was unable to be at her usual spot because of the Getaway. When we finally boarded we went in through one gangway on deck 4. Awful experience and hopefully never have to deal with it again. US customs or whomever dropped the ball that day.

I loved Pearl though, can't wait to see her after the dry dock and refurb. We are booking her again April 2018! The staff was AWESOME! Had one of the best bartenders. Dinner at Cagneys was superb and got one of the best cups of coffee there. Bowling was fun, I'll be sad to see that go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ugh, just got off Pearl and had a awful time boarding. Over 2 1/2 hours waiting like a heard of cattle in a hot tent. Apparently not NCLs fault, POM was overbooked and Pearl was unable to be at her usual spot because of the Getaway. When we finally boarded we went in through one gangway on deck 4. Awful experience and hopefully never have to deal with it again. US customs or whomever dropped the ball that day.

I loved Pearl though, can't wait to see her after the dry dock and refurb. We are booking her again April 2018! The staff was AWESOME! Had one of the best bartenders. Dinner at Cagneys was superb and got one of the best cups of coffee there. Bowling was fun, I'll be sad to see that go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First time on a NCL ship this Saturday. What is the problem with boarding; do they have enough people to handle everyone?

First time on a NCL ship this Saturday. What is the problem with boarding; do they have enough people to handle everyone?

I think we just had a fluke problem and the Getaway and Pearl were not supposed to be boarding at the same time. It wasn't a NCL problem, rather Port of Miami. I have never had a problem with NCL before. I am guessing because Getaway is a much larger ship, it was in the dock where Pearl normally is so we ended up an afterthought in some tents and dinky gangway. You should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums