Vanished.....but RCI did nothing!?!

kevinsac

That is totally unbelievable. I certainly hope there were many people fired over this. Between this and that fiasco in Spain, I think RCCL is starting to show just how much they DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS! :mad: They need to take long, hard look at how they treat their passengers. If things don't start to change, I foresee many problems for them. They cannot continue to treat people with disrespect and not expect it to eventually catch up with them.:mad:

SHAME ON YOU RCCL!!!

At the risk of being flamed---as horrible of an incident as this-you cannot extrapolate a level of care for customers out of this on isolated incident. Granted--things should have been handled MUCH better and on that I totally agree. RCCL should have been much more open--yes. But this was isolated and VERY unusual incident, and though its unfortunate, one probably not likely to repeat itself . . .

It's been posted several times today on different boards. I'm just wondering why???

good question - why now, more than a year after the alleged disappearance. Certainly doesn't paint Celebrity or RCCL in a good light if the newspaper account is to be believed, but again do we have all the facts?

Without a body to examine and without any witnesses, how can it be determined that the disappearance was suicide, foul play, or perhaps a planned disappearance? Too many TV mysteries have convinced us that neat solutions can be had within the one hour framework. Unfortunately real life doesn't work that way.

I'm afraid that we will read a lot of speculation over the next several days that will make the JFK conspiracy theories pale in comparison.:(

I never want to cruise alone. I feel very sorry for her family, especially the daughter. Maybe she planned her own disappearance and got off in Vancouver, or maybe the whole thing is more sinister. RCI comes off as insensitive and of the corporate mentality. Hopefully her family will get an answer, and be able to make peace with it. Nancy

I wonder if they would have searched for this lady if she had charges on her

shipboard account? I doubt they would have just folded her clothes and given

them to charity. I personally am glad to have these news items posted.

I think there are a lot of unanswered questions about the missing honeymooner also. The more information we have....the more aware we

can be of safety issues.

At the risk of being flamed---as horrible of an incident as this-you cannot extrapolate a level of care for customers out of this on isolated incident. Granted--things should have been handled MUCH better and on that I totally agree. RCCL should have been much more open--yes. But this was isolated and VERY unusual incident, and though its unfortunate, one probably not likely to repeat itself . . .

I have to agree with you and hope all the Aruba Boycotta's see it the same way or maybe they are going to boycott RCCL now.

This is very sad news. If it has been on other posts - good. May it continue. If this happened in my family I'd post it all over the place too.

It up to us individually regarding what we do with our lives and what we do with our money, among other things. Accounts like this will help us be more aware of what we could or should do.

I have to agree with you and hope all the Aruba Boycotta's see it the same way or maybe they are going to boycott RCCL now.

First of all there was no excuse for the head cabin attendant or what ever he was called to tell the cabin attendant to in effect mind his business.

It is well he was fired because he assumed he was "saving the company from embarasssment" which was not his call. He should have immediately reported it up the line to security and the captain.

Second - Risk Management at RCL sounds like the guys at the Whitehouse - protect the company at all costs - should be fired as well. BUT one can understand their position in that someone is going to sue no matter what -

It seems pretty obvious on the surface that this lady had a serious emotional issue and took her life - what would the family want done - stop the cruise and scan the waters??? Screw up the cruise for the other passengers -

At the risk of sounding heartless - what should have been done is report the incident at the first port and let the police investigate.

This is not the first case of suicide at sea nor will it be the last - sure blame the cruise line and if you fall into the trap - boycott RCL because the family is upset - will suing bring back the daughter NO nor will boycotting Aruba bring back Natalee.

Cruiseline should not be required to do psych profiles on passengers IMHO

First of all there was no excuse for the head cabin attendant or what ever he was called to tell the cabin attendant to in effect mind his business.

It is well he was fired because he assumed he was "saving the company from embarasssment" which was not his call. He should have immediately reported it up the line to security and the captain.

Second - Risk Management at RCL sounds like the guys at the Whitehouse - protect the company at all costs - should be fired as well. BUT one can understand their position in that someone is going to sue no matter what -

It seems pretty obvious on the surface that this lady had a serious emotional issue and took her life - what would the family want done - stop the cruise and scan the waters??? Screw up the cruise for the other passengers -

At the risk of sounding heartless - what should have been done is report the incident at the first port and let the police investigate.

This is not the first case of suicide at sea nor will it be the last - sure blame the cruise line and if you fall into the trap - boycott RCL because the family is upset - will suing bring back the daughter NO nor will boycotting Aruba bring back Natalee.

Cruiseline should not be required to do psych profiles on passengers IMHO

I dont know why you quoted :rolleyes: me as I agree with you 100%. What I asked is if all those RCCL cruisers that on another thread that were calling for a boycott of Aruba are now going to call for a boycott of RCCL because of this incident?

I'm not making light of the family's pain over their missing daughter. However, all we can do is guess what may have happened to this woman. Maybe it was suicide, maybe she just wanted to disappear and start a new life. Maybe it was a true accident. I agree it sounds like RCCL could have handled things better, however, we are hearing the story from the family's point of view, people who are in extreme emotional pain. Do we really expect the ship to conduct a search for a grown woman based on her room steward observing she hadn't slept in her room? What if she went on that cruise to meet a lover, booked a separate cabin so no one would know...the staff raises the alarm, searches the ship and finds the woman and married lover together, spawning scandal and ship-wide gossip. We would all then be up in arms and demand RCCL stay out of our personal lives. If a family member or friend had reported her missing, then yes, I would expect the Captain and crew to do all they could to help. If she had informed someone that she was going on this trip, then they would have been alerted to the problem as soon as she didn't return. It is a sad situation for all.

This is disgusting to me. I am going on my first RCI cruise and if I had known this I woould not have sailed with them. they show gross insensitivity to this family's tragedy.Giving her clothes to charity? I would like to think that if I am sailing on a highly respoected and well known crusie line that my safety would matter to the captain of the ship and the staff.If this had happened to my child I would blast this news all over the media and they shoudl try the CBC in canada the Fifth Estate.Young women seem to especially vulnerable on these holidays and we need to care more about how foul play is dealt with by the authorities in these places.

Do we really expect the ship to conduct a search for a grown woman based on her room steward observing she hadn't slept in her room? What if she went on that cruise to meet a lover, booked a separate cabin so no one would know...the staff raises the alarm, searches the ship and finds the woman and married lover together, spawning scandal and ship-wide gossip. We would all then be up in arms and demand RCCL stay out of our personal lives..

You are 100% correct imo.

In fact the hotel industry on land has a similar policy. They expect that a lot of shenangins are taking place and they never call in these types of circumstances due to bitter lessons learned.

You could leave a diamond ring in a hotel room, have it turned into mgmt. by a maid, and they will NOT call you to let you know they have it - because it may well turn out that the "lady" was not the "wife", and they will be sued when the "wife" finds out and leaves the errant husband.

That is flat out policy in the hotel industry.

The same facts as this cruise could play out in a hotel, with the same results.

If Celebrity and RCCL acted in the way described in the news article they are deserving of most of the condemnation they have received on these boards, but I find it both interesting and somewhat disappointing that everyone reads one account of the incident and automatically believes the worst about the cruiseline and the personnel involved. Doesn't anyone believe that they deserve the benefit of the doubt and think that perhaps the actual facts are not exactly as reported by the family?

If Celebrity and RCCL acted in the way described in the news article they are deserving of most of the condemnation they have received on these boards, but I find it both interesting and somewhat disappointing that everyone reads one account of the incident and automatically believes the worst about the cruiseline and the personnel involved. Doesn't anyone believe that they deserve the benefit of the doubt and think that perhaps the actual facts are not exactly as reported by the family?

I thought about that too Bill, however RCI hasn't said otherwise. Remember a few months ago when Betty, BSAN, had problems and thought it was RCI's fault? It wasn't their fault and RCI requested that Laura post a message stating the truth.

there's no denial from RCL that they just packed up her clothing and gave it to charity. There is no denial from RCL that they didn't call any authorities, there is no denial that they didn't make any effort what-so-ever to contact anyone.

They haven't denied anything at all. If they had contact any authorities, you can bet they would have stated such.

I don't think anyone is arguing about how tragic this situation is. I also don't think anyone is saying what happened to this woman was RCL's fault. I do believe, however, that what is being said is that RCL did nothing after the disappearance - nothing what-so-ever and that is appalling.

I'm not making light of the family's pain over their missing daughter. However, all we can do is guess what may have happened to this woman. Maybe it was suicide, maybe she just wanted to disappear and start a new life. Maybe it was a true accident. I agree it sounds like RCCL could have handled things better, however, we are hearing the story from the family's point of view, people who are in extreme emotional pain. Do we really expect the ship to conduct a search for a grown woman based on her room steward observing she hadn't slept in her room? What if she went on that cruise to meet a lover, booked a separate cabin so no one would know...the staff raises the alarm, searches the ship and finds the woman and married lover together, spawning scandal and ship-wide gossip. We would all then be up in arms and demand RCCL stay out of our personal lives. If a family member or friend had reported her missing, then yes, I would expect the Captain and crew to do all they could to help. If she had informed someone that she was going on this trip, then they would have been alerted to the problem as soon as she didn't return. It is a sad situation for all.

I agree 100%. The actions of the passengers are not RCI's responsibility, so long as they are not presenting a dange or nuisance to others. Why should they think something dastardly happened any more than they should think that she committed suicide, jumped ship, ran off with a man --- either married or unmarried? It's unfortunate that no one in the woman's family knew that she was taking this cruise. Perhaps if a warning had been issued sooner, more could and would have been done.

This is disgusting to me. I am going on my first RCI cruise and if I had known this I woould not have sailed with them. they show gross insensitivity to this family's tragedy.Giving her clothes to charity? I would like to think that if I am sailing on a highly respoected and well known crusie line that my safety would matter to the captain of the ship and the staff.If this had happened to my child I would blast this news all over the media and they shoudl try the CBC in canada the Fifth Estate.Young women seem to especially vulnerable on these holidays and we need to care more about how foul play is dealt with by the authorities in these places.

i agree that obviously this is a tragic incident, however RCCL as a whole cannot be blamed. the cabin steward was clearly concerned and it is not his (or anyone else on the ship)'s fault that his supervisor (whoever he was) decided to be insensitive and careless by not reporting it. so how can you just blame RCCL if they didnt even know about it until after the cruise was over? also, not to rule out foul play or anything else, but considering that this woman had a history of sucidal thoughts and went on this "vacation" all alone without telling anyone at all, i would say that this probably was a suicide. it is a horrible thing to have happen and i can understand that the family would not want to accept that, but it seems to be the most likely senario. just my opinion though....

If you're that upset then cancel your cruise with RCI. No one is forcing you to on one of their ships.

RCCL should have noticed on the last day that nothing has changed for a couple days not to mention that everyone has checked out and someone left all thier stuff in the cabin. I also think that all cruise lines (not just RCCL owned ships) should scan your card as you leave the ship as well. Then compare that number when it is time to sail again. This will keep track who left the ship and who came back as well as the times. Also helps keep track of missing groups and a ship can delay leaving that port if lets say....150 people are not accounted for. RCCL failed to find out what happened to this girl and never took a look at the video tapes. BAD RCCL!!!! I sure hope that cruise lines take a better took at thier security practices and improve on this.

Archived