Best beach on St. Thomas?

Cruizen Susan

Did trunk bay earlier this month, I've never seen anything as beautiful as this on any other island. Lots of wonderful ones on St. John. Entrance was about $5 and it was $6 per person for the taxi each way from the port. We used the celebrity excursion transfer to guarantee our passage in case there was a problem. I have to say though we were late, very late back, the tour guide had lost 12 people, we had 2 from the wrong ship do we had to drop them at the other dock and shore excursion staff were panicking. They waited an extra 45 minutes in St. John for the missing ones who turned out to have got on the first boat back that went to the wrong dock. The good news, it was a celebrity transfer so the ship had to wait for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did trunk bay earlier this month, I've never seen anything as beautiful as this on any other island. Lots of wonderful ones on St. John. Entrance was about $5 and it was $6 per person for the taxi each way from the port. We used the celebrity excursion transfer to guarantee our passage in case there was a problem. I have to say though we were late, very late back, the tour guide had lost 12 people, we had 2 from the wrong ship do we had to drop them at the other dock and shore excursion staff were panicking. They waited an extra 45 minutes in St. John for the missing ones who turned out to have got on the first boat back that went to the wrong dock. The good news, it was a celebrity transfer so the ship had to wait for us.

We would like to visit trunk bay in August, taxiing from St. Thomas just as you did.

Can you explain what you wrote: "We used the celebrity excursion transfer to guarantee our passage in case there was a problem."?

The only excursion I see listed on the Celebrity site that is maybe similar to what you describe is the "St John on your own", for $39 each. Is this what you did, or something else?

Any help with explaining your excursion and the costs would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

It used to be a Navy base. I don't think anyone would want to swim around there. I imagine all kinds of poisons were dumped for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is exactly why I (original poster) asked about beaches. I wasn't going to mention it to scare anyone, but Emerald Beach, where we have been going for years, as you know is close to the port. My husband swam all day there. That very evening, his finger was swollen like a balloon and very painful. He had a small open cut there previously. We called home to my son who is a physician and texted him a picture and told him the symptoms. He told DH to get to the ship's doctor ASAP because it was celluitis, a serious infection that spreads quickly. Don't want to bore you with all the details, but my son's diagnosis was correct. It took a few weeks to heal fully, and very strong antibiotics.

THIS is why I started the thread about beaches in St. Thomas. You deserve to know the risk and thank you for all the great suggestions!

I know you want to stay local, but if you can check out http://www.sailhighpockets.com/. We have sailed with them multiple times. It is a day sail over to St. John. The best part is that they limit the number of people so the boat is never crowded. Actually, the last time we sailed with them we were the only couple! They sailed to a beach where we snorkeled while they cooked us lunch right on the sailboat. It is really an awesome experience. You get sailing and the best beach all in one!