using Chromecast on cruise

NoWhiners

Hi all

We have purchased a surf and stream package for our Solstice cruise in March (aft cabin looking over the wake). I am wondering if we can use a chromecast stick to view Netflix and other content? My guess is, no. I can see a few issues:

1) Internet signal isn't strong enough

2) Can't get HDMI input from TV to be the active input

3) No one knows what I am talking about!

4) other

Thanks for any help.

ML

Ive seen quite a few comments in assorted places that you can't control the tv input. Chromecasts are small though, so it might be worth trying just for giggles. Internet connection will be a bit of a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

We have purchased a surf and stream package for our Solstice cruise in March (aft cabin looking over the wake). I am wondering if we can use a chromecast stick to view Netflix and other content? My guess is, no. I can see a few issues:

4) other

Thanks for any help.

ML

1 and 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all

4) other

Thanks for any help.

ML

Possbile other: Does chromecast give you the ability to log in to the ship's internet? You would need to enter a username/password on a web page.

Chromecast like a lot of these devices will set up its own wifi network for initial setup, during that setup process you enter information from your phone for connection details. So username and password shouldn't be an issue.

I *believe* that for some things the chromecast will stream things directly over the internet and not from your device, also you control the chromecast from your device over wifi so both devices need to be connected to the same wifi network, so you'll need an internet package for both devices.

I have never tried chrome sat on a cruise ship, but did try it at a hotel. It didn't work at the hotel because it couldn't open up the screen to agree to the wifi terms.

That's what I was thinking when I mentioned the username/password above.

Possbile other: Does chromecast give you the ability to log in to the ship's internet? You would need to enter a username/password on a web page.

There are ways to do it on Windows 10, I've done it in hotels. It's not super easy, more trouble than it's worth IMO.

OP, FWIW The Roku Streaming Stick has a feature called "Hotel & Dorm Connect" that is just for this purpose. You do the login stuff with your phone. Streaming stick is about the same size and works more or less like a Chromecast

There are ways to do it on Windows 10, I've done it in hotels. It's not super easy, more trouble than it's worth IMO.

OP, FWIW The Roku Streaming Stick has a feature called "Hotel & Dorm Connect" that is just for this purpose. You do the login stuff with your phone. Streaming stick is about the same size and works more or less like a Chromecast

I prefer my Roku for streaming, the only thing it doesn't do better IMO is displaying content from my iphone

I hadn't thought about needing to load a web page. Lack of a browser would certainly be an issue.

The amazon fire stick has a hotel proxy feature, where it will load a web page to let you enter login info (like room number, last name, etc). it is my go to travel streaming device for that reason.

The amazon fire stick has a hotel proxy feature, where it will load a web page to let you enter login info (like room number, last name, etc). it is my go to travel streaming device for that reason.

Excellent info! At the low prices for these things it's easy enough to have one of each. [emoji6]

You will need the following.

Linux OS w/wifi with an Ethernet I/O port and cross-over cable. Configure port forwarding. Connect wifi to ships wifi and packets should be forwarded to your Chromecast stick.

HDMI Monitor.

I've tried using my phones IR blaster with universal remote app and have only managed to turn it off and then on. I was not able to switch to HDMI input.

And this will only work on ships with O3b service or what I call "real Voom". Search for thread "Voom roll call".

I have Chromecast and never could get it to work onboard. I bought a Samsung remote to allow HDMI port access, and a travel router. When everything was connected properly I could use it for a minute or two and it'd just stop working.

Later I bought AppleTV and love it because the integration is seamless.

I travel 40 weeks out of the year for work. I have a Slingbox at home. I watch Hockey from my home Cable all over the place through my slingbox app on my Ipad. On a plane, in Cuba, anywhere.

Chromecast will not work on anything but a home/private network. My 2 cents, give it up for a few days at sea. I give up everything but a good book or two while on a ship.I may cruise 2 or 3 times a year but I want to enjoy every minute away from the every day distractions I can get at home day in or day out.

JoeRum

I travel 40 weeks out of the year for work. I have a Slingbox at home. I watch Hockey from my home Cable all over the place through my slingbox app on my Ipad. On a plane, in Cuba, anywhere.

Chromecast will not work on anything but a home/private network. My 2 cents, give it up for a few days at sea. I give up everything but a good book or two while on a ship.I may cruise 2 or 3 times a year but I want to enjoy every minute away from the every day distractions I can get at home day in or day out.

JoeRum

To be honest, I was thinking we might fight the battle, but I think you're right. I may just hope for Netlix on my PC for late-night viewing, and call it close enough. I can see why there would be issues.

Thanks

ML