disembarking in Barcelona off the spirit

flip8683

We are on the Spirit in December and need to know what is the earliest NCL recommends scheduling flight times out of Barcelona. Website shows it docks at 5 am. The day of week is wednesday the 13th. we are trying to use Advantage miles and not fly thru London. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I had a similar question last year - search for the threads. We looked at an 1100 international flight out of BCN to PHL. It was a Sunday flight. Disembarkation, taxi, airport check in, security, and passport line all went well. We could have made it. However, I was more comfortable with 1300-ish departure so we went with the later flight.

Have you started looking for flights with your miles? That will be your main constraint at this point. Unfortunately with OneWorld I think most of your options will be through London, but you can also try Iberia through Madrid.

Anything from around 12 noon is fine, as with most ports, but if you only have morning options, you can post the departure time here and 50% of the answers will say "I have done this a million times you'll be fine I promise" and 50% will say "are you crazy I would never risk it in a million years". :p

Generally you can get flights from Barcelona quite early. I've flown out at 11am and made it easily.

However:

On a weekday consider the traffic. When we did it during a weekend, it took almost 30 minutes to get away from the port area.

Also, check how many other ships are docking on the same day. I'm sure you will be fine on a Wednesday, but once when there were lots of ships in at the same time the taxis were very stretched and it took over an hour for us to get one. There are usually lots of taxis available, but if they are spread amongst a number of ships it can be a problem.

Another option, if you have the time, book a hotel in Barcelona on disembarkation, enjoy the city for the day and book your desired flight home the following morning. We've started doing this rather than worry if we'll make the flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Hawkeye We are just about to book the return using Aa miles. Called AA and Iberias has a flight thru Madrid to Chicago but way too early. Did you know that if you use an award ticket you have 24 hours from the time you land in a connecting city and it is still considered one award ? The lady at AA was real nice said alot of people that travel Europe do just that. Book a flght stay less than 24 hours see the city then continue. We were going to do that on the way to Europe. Ord to Phy Phy to Rome then to Barcelona on 22500 miles each. The boss(the wife) wants more time in Rome which I tend to agree. So now I have to look at Ryan air from Rome to Barcelona later that week