Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

"Last supper at LCG"

With Easter approaching this is providing me with quite the mental image right now!! ;) Table for 13 but seating on 1 side only, please...

Norris, I echo other's comments, great review, great photos, sorry it's coming to the end. We sail on Reflection in the Med in June and appreciate the preview of things to come for us.

Alan

Alan, thanks so much for the compliments and for reading along this far. I have a weekend off work and will move this puppy along...

Norris

And tonight, Norris, is Mr. Kite topping the bill?

Yes and of course Henry the horse will be dancing the waltz!

Well spotted, Beatles fan!

Norris

Norris, I happily discovered this thread recently. I am captivated by your lovely photos, fair-minded assessments of the ship's furnishings, staff, and venues, and of course your hilarious commentary.

Through this thread, I discovered your review of the Silhouette. My DH and I have taken only one X cruise, the Millennium in Jan 2016, and are eagerly anticipating boarding the Silhouette next month. What a treat to explore the ship before we board through the eyes of you and the other posters on that thread.

My bruiser of a Maine Coon cat is eagerly awaiting my nightly reading of the rest of the review - he enjoys long stretches slumbering on my lap, but he has lodged a request for you to cut the funny bits as his naps are disturbed when I laugh out loud. But I say carry on, my friend, and the cat's comfort be damned.

Thanks for the kind things you say about my writing and photos. Much appreciated and as you know by now I love to know who's reading this as it's getting a lot of readers but most are unknown to me. The Silhouette is my yardstick for cruiseship design and the art collection is the best I've ever seen on a ship. You are lucky and wise to have tickets to sail on her.

I will admit cats don't get my humor but am not losing any sleep over it and judging by our own cat Snowy, neither is she.

Thanks again!

Norris

Norris, I'm pretty sure the Tenors of Rock will be in Vegas at the same time we will be there. Do you think it would be worth going to see them? Would you and Carol go? :confused:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

I'm sure you will be glad when all the work that goes in to writing this wonderful review is done, but those of us who have been enjoying following along with you and Carol will be sorry to see it end. I know I will. I have been thoroughly enjoying the journey, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Norris, I'm pretty sure the Tenors of Rock will be in Vegas at the same time we will be there. Do you think it would be worth going to see them? Would you and Carol go? :confused:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

I'm sure you will be glad when all the work that goes in to writing this wonderful review is done, but those of us who have been enjoying following along with you and Carol will be sorry to see it end. I know I will. I have been thoroughly enjoying the journey, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Nancy, thanks for following along as I believe you have done on all my reviews so far, this being the 12th if I count the comparison review.

If you like Tenors of rock from the video and what's available to see on Youtube then going to see them live at Harrahs would be a good idea.

We haven't been in Las Vegas since 2009 but we had about 10 visits prior to that beginning in 1999 when I was sent to work there for a week. We have done weekends and whole weeks there and love ht entertainment available. I would go see TOR once I'd taken in a couple of Cirque du Soleil shows I haven't seen in a long while. Love-the Beatles one was memorable not just for the amazing visuals but for the sound of the tapes remastered by George Martin. We've had great stereo systems over the years but the sound at Love was loud and clear and had detail I'd not heard before and is likely even better than the Beatles heard on playback. It was eye (and ear) opening. Cirque's "O" and "KA" are spectacular as is Mystere which is more intimate than either. I'd have to see one of my favorite comedians, George Wallace at the Flamingo across the street from our home, the Bellagio. Those would be my priorities although who knows what other great shows would be there at the time of visiting. We've seen Wayne Newton, Jay Leno, Siegfried and Roy and had front row seats for Celine Deion in her first season so if we had time we would give the TOR a visit.

I'll post the 2nd part of my TOR video in a few minutes.

We don't gamble in LV. I always rent a fast car at the airport where they have a selection including Corvettes, BMWs and Audi S4 convertibles which are fun. I rented one of those for our Death Valley trip some years ago.

19717534792_4650a66161_b.jpg

There is so much scenic beauty outside Las Vegas including Red Rock Park, Mount Charleston where people ski and our favorite Valley Of Fire on the way to the Hoover Dam. I have covered some of these on my blog (which I have to get back to once I am finished with this). We spend our day driving far from the crowds and having a picnic lunch. We return to the city only after it has begun to light up and that sight,driving down a mountain road ten miles away is, as the British would say, "gobsmacking"! The Grand Canyon is about a 6 hour drive away and each mile is a visual feast. LV is a very easy city to drive around.

I love LAS VEGAS!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

Loving your review Norris- now can't wait to be on board in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for stepping out of the shadows!

I'm glad you are enjoying this as it wends it's way to the Finish Line.

Norris

Tenors of Rock conclusion

I posted the same TOR photo twice when I really meant the caption "The crowd was into it" to accompany this shot...

32492431293_9d82a33d29_b.jpg

The band were selling CDs in the narrow lobby leading from the theater when we left and were posing for photos with passengers. We kept on walking to escape the crowd. We had to pack and do it quickly before dinner at the Lawn Club Grill at 9 p.m.

While we are packing here is the 2nd video clip. If you hated the first you can skip it.

VmvQI2pL4QM

Norris

So enjoying this Norris and Carol; thank you. Packing day is the worst. Another LCG meal coming up! Cannot wait to see.

On a side note, when we were on our California/Nevada/Utah/Arizona road trip; we were driving into LV at night and pulled up to the Bellagio just as the fountains started to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. It was moment to remember. We drove on through the strip and on to our next destination. I would love to catch some of the shows there one day. First row at Celine Dion is quite impressive Norris.

Hope you find your old RC momentos!

I had earlier met with our Room Steward, Boban to let him know of our evening plans of Show Pack Eat but he was at the cabin when we arrived to pack so I had to oust him. Our Butler Dominic The Great was nearby and said he would help Boban after we left for dinner so that Boban could finish his shift on time at 9.30. Dominic did as promised. I expect him to be a Michael's Club Concierge in the future and he would excel at that. He has set expectations for what a Butler can be and is so much more involved in his job than our Silhouette one. He even brought us a second bottle of sail away "champagne" but we never opened it all week. We scoffed at the Saltine crackers served with our cheese plate so he brought us a box of Carrs which we buy at home. He was always looking for ways to help us. I'd be in the shower enjoying those rich Bvlgari suds and there would be a knock on the shower glass and he'd stick his head in and ask if I'd like him to serve breakfast in the shower? He was tipped accordingly even though our gratuities were included in our fare.

I take my sweet-ass time packing before a cruise as I start maybe 3 days ahead but here the clock was ticking. I got it done in good time and we left the room with time to spare before dinner by the lawn, my favorite part of the ship and you must admit that there is one thing that sets the S Class above all others and that's the spacious lawn. If not for that deck 15 would just be acres of deck loungers and people. I hope to eventually sail all 5 S Class ships (and Edge class and Millennium Class too)

We went up to deck 15, a routine path which I could navigate blindfolded by now. We had some time before our 9 p.m reservation (made by Dominic). Our alcove was still set up for us to relax in. The LCG was jumping. I passed through the beautiful Porch restaurant where the sound of crickets replaced the chatter and jollity of the LCG.

32492426673_a0a4cd25a1_b.jpg

As we were close to the Sunset Bar I visited to get a beer while waiting for 9 p.m when our Alcove time was up.

32924252930_c7f0128967_b.jpg

Carol mentioned in her role as Deck Chair Queen paying the $249 for an Alcove using OBC. I still think that price is insane. On Princess for $30 a day each (if a week's pass is purchased) you can experience real quiet and peace and be waited on hand and foot. That's in the Sanctuary and there's a pool and hot tubs down a flight of stairs.

16236509438_2455ae0f28_b.jpg

(Ruby Princess)

Speaking of OBC Carol would check on our TV to see how much we were spending on the ship and on our last night realized we had $100 still unspent. We didn't want to leave any money on the table so to speak and I came up with the idea of buying some memory cards for the cameras and had to make a visit to the photographer's shop after dinner.

The cards were $50 each ( I paid $17 each, on sale luckily! for the same ones [sandisk] I bought in Walgreens near the Ritz in South Beach, but all $550 OBC was consumed.)

Hooray!

Onwards to LCG and I didn't use the cameras much there as we had been before. It was as before-which is stellar. We love to eat outdoors when possible and to see the food being cooked and smell it from the table really adds to the anticipation. I visited the salad bar this time but was disappointed that there was no (1) Romaine lettuce which is my crunchy favorite and (2) no beets. What the Dickens?! ( I love odd English expressions)

Anyway It was a salad of my own concoction and hit the spot with a nice cold crisp glass of Stella. It's loud in there, not just from the sizzle of seared bovine and sheep flesh but from the clink of glasses and chatter from patrons like us who realize that the dream is almost over and the Real World is coming up in the darkness at 18 knots. Ribald laughter splits the air and I enjoy seeing people enjoy themselves as long as the language is kept in check. I am always amazed when someone drops an F Bomb in company in a restaurant. So jarring.

What doesn't jar is the insane dessert on offer-the huge hot chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven with ice cream. Is OMG! a word? Not photographed as I was a blur of spoons and delirium.

I could spend a whole evening -well 3 hours or more, just grazing and drinking beer in the LCG with a warm breeze wafting through and a starry sky above.

Meat

33151321902_805741046e_b.jpg

and the view from the table

32492433373_5017b45db9_b.jpg

Our bags were packed and left outside the door before the requested 9 p.m. We had disembarkation lined up for 9.30 a.m and had to vacate the room by 8. All going according to plan. I could see other ships in the distance, lights ablaze on a black sea. I wanted to be up early to see us come back into Miami.

So that's what's next

So enjoying this Norris and Carol; thank you. Packing day is the worst. Another LCG meal coming up! Cannot wait to see.

On a side note, when we were on our California/Nevada/Utah/Arizona road trip; we were driving into LV at night and pulled up to the Bellagio just as the fountains started to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. It was moment to remember. We drove on through the strip and on to our next destination. I would love to catch some of the shows there one day. First row at Celine Dion is quite impressive Norris.

Hope you find your old RC momentos!

I have the Brochure from 1986 here in Chicago but my photos are in Michigan where we will be on Sunday for a visit to feed the birds and water the plants etc.

The music from the Fountain Show at the Bellagio is piped into the room so you can adjust the volume level. The shows are spectacular and I never tire of them. For Celine Dion to get the front row we had to join the fan club and the tickets then (2003 I think) were $208 each but worth it.

I was up out of my seat when she sang one of my favorites-I'm Alive-and she came to our spot maybe 8 feet away and we made eye contact. An electric moment for her I am sure! LOL!

Las Vegas has given us many great memories and I know we'll be back.

Norris

There is so much scenic beauty outside Las Vegas including Red Rock Park, Mount Charleston where people ski and our favorite Valley Of Fire on the way to the Hoover Dam.

You are absolutely right about Valley of Fire State Park. It is THE best place to go when you're in Las Vegas. Much better than The Strip if you ask me. Here's a sampler for those who haven't been there yet:

14887931080_8155d1d317_z.jpg

14751038019_3f1d3f48d2_z.jpg

14773770169_d75a5337dd_z.jpg

14784987567_8fe83ed300_z.jpg

14857834598_7d6bd5020a_z.jpg

15031734946_49485ca1cf_z.jpg

MIAMI January 21 2017

Reflection had a schedule to keep. She sailed onwards in the night while we slept like babes but luckily I didn't soil my diaper or have teething problems.

I have an inbuilt clock that usually wakes me when I want to wake and most often before the alarm sounds. This was the case when I awoke just before 5 a.m and quickly got myself up on deck cameras in hand as I sensed land nearby.

32924841430_5e2c21f0e6_b.jpg

32924763070_f4cbc8d4d3_b.jpg

A neat and orderly dockland

32924764730_13b563729a_b.jpg

32464663314_fb9747fc3b_b.jpg

A mega-yacht lights up the water

32464666744_6715b09177_b.jpg

We are passing the berth we left just a week before

33152026312_c6cd12bb7a_b.jpg

It's 5.30 a.m

33152030732_0f68737a86_b.jpg

33152034792_20c9c4ec76_b.jpg

I am up on Solstice deck at this time

33152039652_63688295d9_b.jpg

33152042962_55bcd093bb_b.jpg

33152049902_bc934aee59_b.jpg

Even though the camera can see well in the dark (12,800 ISO!) I don't have a tripod set up and the shutter speeds (almost half a second here) are slow so it's hard to get a crisp focus even when holding my breath while shooting. I blame the ship moving as we are in the huge turning basin so we can face back out to sea when we reach our berth. The Captain has a note from his mother which will explain everything.

Norris

33152053882_65f04515b1_b.jpg

32492917123_a3b2fdf631_b.jpg

This building had giant scrolling letters spelling out Good Morning Miami

32924766260_d53123d9a1_b.jpg

We have made our 180 degree turn in the basin

33266775526_82414dcca0_b.jpg

We head to our berth

32492920713_04c5dbf628_b.jpg

With the berth in sight I would normally be a blubbering mess as the end was near.

However we have booked another day at the Ritz Carlton in South Beach so instead of girding our loins for a desultory trek to an airport we are OK with the end of our cruise.

We did only book 7 days and X delivered. My watch told me I had 3 and a half hours left on board.

Here is a video to set the scene

buSpot7F4YM

Speaking of OBC Carol would check on our TV to see how much we were spending on the ship and on our last night realized we had $100 still unspent. We didn't want to leave any money on the table so to speak and I came up with the idea of buying some memory cards for the cameras and had to make a visit to the photographer's shop after dinner.

The cards were $50 each ( I paid $17 each, on sale luckily! for the same ones [sandisk] I bought in Walgreens near the Ritz in South Beach, but all $550 OBC was consumed.)

Norris - Do you get OBC from your TA, as well as Celebrity? If so, you can get cash for the TA portion. Just don't spend it and it will be credited to the credit card registered for the cruise. I had my $275 credited to my card on disembarkation day.

It will be listed as:

OBN Onboard non-refundable

OBR Onboard refundable

Norris - Do you get OBC from your TA, as well as Celebrity? If so, you can get cash for the TA portion. Just don't spend it and it will be credited to the credit card registered for the cruise. I had my $275 credited to my card on disembarkation day.

It will be listed as:

OBN Onboard non-refundable

OBR Onboard refundable

Peggy we didn't have a TA, just $550 from X.

Thanks for the tip though!

Norris

I demand you take another cruise ASAP and if a bottle of rum would be suffice to entice you

I once had a poster on the Princess board suggest a collection be taken to send me on another cruise so I could write about it-and he has never appeared in one of my reviews since.

If we could we would take another cruise ASAP or at least sooner than our actual next on Regal Princess in October, but we both have jobs. 2 is our maximum until next year when I get 3 weeks vacation but we love our land trips too and I can't see us doing 3 cruises in one year and I'm OK with that. In fact we are already booked for a week of glorious Wagner opera in San Francisco June 2018.

Send me the rum anyway-it will help me think. I hear it's good for your concentration-or am I confusing it with water?

Cheers my friend!

Norris

I too wanted to share how much I love your reviews. You truly have a gift for them. I have read four of them so far. This one is of particular interest to me because I'm doing your same itinerary on the Reflection in two weeks. My first cruise ever!! Thanks for taking the time! This review has made the last several weeks before my cruise go by a little faster.

By the time the ship docked I was down on deck 5 having coffee and a cigarette

33152056282_ed44924c09_b.jpg

A few minutes later Norwegian Escape came by

32474583574_ceb235a319_b.jpg

32474588594_23b47824df_b.jpg

She spins around in the turning basin and faces back out to sea again

32474595354_48618697e3_b.jpg

33162076312_bc34415471_b.jpg

7DDYRXBkuaY

I too wanted to share how much I love your reviews. You truly have a gift for them. I have read four of them so far. This one is of particular interest to me because I'm doing your same itinerary on the Reflection in two weeks. My first cruise ever!! Thanks for taking the time! This review has made the last several weeks before my cruise go by a little faster.

Thanks for the kind compliments and for reading 4 of the 12 reviews-collect the set!

You have picked a fantastic ship for your first cruise so Bon Voyage in 2 weeks. This will be completed by then. I predict it won't be your last cruise...

Cheers!

Norris

NOW WHAT?

I have to get busy, that's what! There are places I haven't photographed yet and the clock is ticking. It's 6 a.m and we are meeting at Luminae at 6.30 when they open. I'll have more time for photos after we leave our room at 8 a.m but for now I can get some more shots.

I have to say goodbye to the Sunset Bar. Thanks for the memories...

32924796890_a447c5a142_b.jpg

The comfy banquette where the bar would be on the Silhouette

33336068056_fab4ee2d7f_b.jpg

and my beloved lawn, the green green grass of home

33179463241_8f1e5e1733_b.jpg

On the move again....

32924783330_baf535f176_b.jpg

32464582464_b02ab26f4b_b.jpg

Thanks for the kind compliments and for reading 4 of the 12 reviews-collect the set!

You have picked a fantastic ship for your first cruise so Bon Voyage in 2 weeks. This will be completed by then. I predict it won't be your last cruise...

Cheers!

Norris

Bimmer,

Waiting at Miami airport for return flight to Chicago after an amazing week on Reflection. Your review summed up the experience perfectly. Beautiful ship with a great crew. The weather didn't cooperate the first few days...but i was in the Caribbean and not in cold Chicago. Thanks for all the pre-cruise tips and pictures.

Next cruise just 53 weeks away!

Thanks,

Susan

It was 6.27 a.m when I took this picture so I had 3 minutes to get aft and down in the elevator to meet Carol for our last breakfast on board.

33317405615_48ff108b61_b.jpg

33317414135_0086fcc9c4_b.jpg

33317408135_9cab063770_b.jpg

Bring on the vittles! I had to have a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar

32534103844_438ca3d4e4_b.jpg

Carol's well-done Belgian waffle with bacon

32534105274_e98b13bea6_b.jpg

Fingerling potatoes, English back bacon and grilled tomato for me

32534106544_ff041094d1_b.jpg

plus the usual orange juice, mango smoothie, iced water and stellar service.

Luminae you excelled yourself all week long! We miss you!

Bimmer,

Waiting at Miami airport for return flight to Chicago after an amazing week on Reflection. Your review summed up the experience perfectly. Beautiful ship with a great crew. The weather didn't cooperate the first few days...but i was in the Caribbean and not in cold Chicago. Thanks for all the pre-cruise tips and pictures.

Next cruise just 53 weeks away!

Thanks,

Susan

Susan, glad to hear you enjoyed the ship!

Thanks for following the review and have a safe trip home. It's 21 degrees here but will get up to 31 later. Beautiful clear blue skies.

Cheers,

Norris