X80 Route (Port - Athens) to restart in April 2017

VMax1700

We are in Piraeus at the moment. There is a notice on the ticket office at the port entrance that route X80 starts on 1st May.

All the ho ho buses are running from the port entrance.

Thank you very much for the update. I cannot seem to find the X80 bus schedule on their website. Does it run at the top and bottom of every hour? And do you know when the first run is in the morning? We will be there on May 12 so glad it will be running by then! :)

I was looking around several Athens related websites in English and German. No time tables seem to exist for the route, BUT everybody seems to agree that the bus runs from 7 am from the port, every 30 minutes.

According to some websites they MAY run buses in 15 minute intervals up to 10 am if/When more cruise ships are in port.

Last bus from Syntagma back to port is 9 pm (or 10 pm , on a different website)

Cost is €4.50 And this is a 24-hour ticket, valid for ALL of Athens public transport.

Some decent info on these sites:

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/blog/index.php/2016/06/13/new-bus-line-connection-piraeus-port-to-syntagma-x80-enables-you-to-join-the-athens-walking-tours/

http://www.oasa.gr/news.php?id=funk98&lang=en

We are in Piraeus at the moment. There is a notice on the ticket office at the port entrance that route X80 starts on 1st May.

All the ho ho buses are running from the port entrance.

Thank you very much for an update.

I was looking around several Athens related websites in English and German. No time tables seem to exist for the route, BUT everybody seems to agree that the bus runs from 7 am from the port, every 30 minutes.

According to some websites they MAY run buses in 15 minute intervals up to 10 am if/When more cruise ships are in port.

Last bus from Syntagma back to port is 9 pm (or 10 pm , on a different website)

Cost is €4.50 And this is a 24-hour ticket, valid for ALL of Athens public transport.

Some decent info on these sites:

www.athenswalkingtours.gr/blog/index.php/2016/06/13/new-bus-line-connection-piraeus-port-to-syntagma-x80-enables-you-to-join-the-athens-walking-tours/

http://www.oasa.gr/news.php?id=funk98&lang=en

Thank you for this information and the links, very helpful. Our ship docks at 7:00 a.m. so we hope to be on one of the early morning buses.

Map for the X80 route LINK HERE

Χ80Piraeus - Acropolis - Syntagma Akti Xaveriou From 07:00 - 21:30 / 30 min

For those arriving @Piraeus @7:00a, the 7:30a bus is very attainable for those willing to be among the first off of the ship.

This allows one to be entering the (Dionysus Theater) gate at the Acropolis right at opening time(8:00a) for those that have the desire to have a chance to beat the major crowds and have a little time up at the top before the hordes start showing up.

On the return, I would recommend picking up the return bus @Syntagma Square, as that is the terminus and there is a much more solid chance of being able to grab a seat -- a welcome nicety after what could be a long day strolling around Athens. At the Acropolis stop, the bus will likely fill up to capacity(SRO) and one will be happy to have a seat for the 30 minute ride back to the port

@Syntagma there is a digital display that shows the 'time left 'til next arrival' as well.

The X80 wasn't running on Saturday when I was there, and no signs giving any indication when (or if) it is starting again.

However a 483 bus (every 10 minutes) from the stops from the main port gate to the metro was fine. Buy tickets at the cigarette kiosk immediately outside the port gate. One ticket is valid for the journey on the bus and then the metro.

Do not walk to the metro, it is to far, and I say this as someone who walks a mile to and from the station every day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not fond of the bus. We were in Athens on May 25th. Took the bus X80 "sardine express". The traffic was awful getting into Athens. I missed my "Free Walking Tour" because this bus took forever. On the way back it was much faster. Of course, we had 5 ships in port on that day. Had I known this, I would have walked to the metro, which is exactly what we did several years ago. The weather was gorgeous and the jacarandas were in full bloom.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not fond of the bus. We were in Athens on May 25th. Took the bus X80 "sardine express". The traffic was awful getting into Athens. I missed my "Free Walking Tour" because this bus took forever. On the way back it was much faster. Of course, we had 5 ships in port on that day. Had I known this, I would have walked to the metro, which is exactly what we did several years ago. The weather was gorgeous and the jacarandas were in full bloom.

We will be there next April. Too early for the bus to be running it seems. How do you take the metro? I love those walking tours and am hoping to do that in Athens. We are in port from 0700- 1600. Wondering if going to the Acropolis in the afternoon, after the tour, would make sense?

Thanks!

How do you take the metro?

Read about four posts above!

Walk to the port exit and

buy tickets at the cigarette kiosk immediately outside the port gate.

Then walk up the street a few hundred yards and catch a 483 bus (every 10 minutes) to the metro was fine. The same ticket is valid for the journey on the bus and then the metro, so you need two tickets per person, one there and one back. Buy them all at the kiosk to save any hassle buying them later.

Do NOT walk to the metro, it is to far. Save your energy for Athens.

I love those walking tours and am hoping to do that in Athens. We are in port from 0700- 1600. Wondering if going to the Acropolis in the afternoon, after the tour, would make sense?

That is exactly what we did on the trip before last.

We took the free walking tour in the morning that leaves from the main square (Google it). Great tour that leads you past all the main sites. It is free as in if you like it give them an appropriate tip at the end.

Then as the tour finished at the bottom of the Acropolis, went up there in the afternoon.

Read about four posts above!

Walk to the port exit and

buy tickets at the cigarette kiosk immediately outside the port gate.

Then walk up the street a few hundred yards and catch a 483 bus (every 10 minutes) to the metro was fine. The same ticket is valid for the journey on the bus and then the metro, so you need two tickets per person, one there and one back. Buy them all at the kiosk to save any hassle buying them later.

Do NOT walk to the metro, it is to far. Save your energy for Athens.

That is exactly what we did on the trip before last.

We took the free walking tour in the morning that leaves from the main square (Google it). Great tour that leads you past all the main sites. It is free as in if you like it give them an appropriate tip at the end.

Then as the tour finished at the bottom of the Acropolis, went up there in the afternoon.

Insanemagnet- Thanks for the detail in your reply. I wasn't understanding the bus/ metro combo before 😳

I really like the idea of the walking tour first so we understand what we are looking at. Glad to know it's a workable plan. I'm pretty sure that if we add a stop for a snack and coffee our time in port will be complete.:')

How long would you allow to get back to the ship by metro and bus?

• 3 months later...