Sawgrass mall

kensington31

We have a day spare pre cruise and are looking to visit Sawgrass Mall we don't really want to hire a car and was wondering how we could get there from 17th street area and what the costs are likely to be......:confused:

It's quite a distance and for taxi fare you are looking at least $50-$60 each way, so is it worth it?

You could get there by the public bus system, but a 20 minute auto drive will take you over an hour each way. Don't ask me the routing and bus numbers because I have no idea.

If mall shopping is important to you why are you staying in the 17th Street area? If you stay at the Hampton Inn-Plantation which has free airport and Port Everglades shuttles, they are also a short walk to two very nice malls not to mention they are a short taxi/Uber ride to Sawgrass Mills.

Edit: Dang! Now I see this is the day pre-cruise. I say stay at the Hampton Inn pre-cruise.

OK...So I went back and re-read your other thread about your stay and I presume you are talking about the two days post cruise. The wild card in your situation is you are flying back to the UK from MIA, so the Hampton Inn Plantation airport shuttle does not do you much good unless you go from Port Everglades after your cruise to FLL and then call the Hampton Inn for their shuttle. A little cumbersome, but it would save about $40 or so in taxi fare. Uber from PE would probably be about $30 directly to the Hampton Inn Plantation.

If you rent a car, your hotel location is not that important other than hotels in the 17th Street area will charge for parking. Since you don't want to rent a car then your choice of hotel is key to what you want to do. So...

What are your top priorities post cruise?

Edited by Lido_Deck

I have also asked this question as we are interested in travelling from Embassy Suites to Sawgrass Mills.

Suggestions I received included Uber or Lyft but I do not feel confident to use either.

Shuttle services seem difficult to track down.

What are your dates .?

If shopping is important :D .......

Getting to Sawgrass Mall by public transport is possible, but takes about 90 minutes each way. The Mall itself is huge and really needs more than 1 day to cover it.

As an alternative try Galleria Mall on East Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale. It has many stores including a Macey's (which gives an extra 10% discount on production of your passport on most items). Otherwise there is a good T.J. Maxx in the Harbour Shops near Embassy Suites.

If you are flying back to UK from MIA with BA or Virgin and have an evening flight, then consider parking your luggage at MIA airport and taking the shuttle to Dolphin Mall, which is also an outlet mall though nowhere near as large as Sawgrass Mall.

If shopping is important :D .......

Getting to Sawgrass Mall by public transport is possible, but takes about 90 minutes each way. The Mall itself is huge and really needs more than 1 day to cover it.

As an alternative try Galleria Mall on East Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale. It has many stores including a Macey's (which gives an extra 10% discount on production of your passport on most items). Otherwise there is a good T.J. Maxx in the Harbour Shops near Embassy Suites.

If you are flying back to UK from MIA with BA or Virgin and have an evening flight, then consider parking your luggage at MIA airport and taking the shuttle to Dolphin Mall, which is also an outlet mall though nowhere near as large as Sawgrass Mall.

Thank you for the heads jp re Dolphin Mall...we are flying virgin back to the uk from miami so might look at that one instead before our return.

I have also asked this question as we are interested in travelling from Embassy Suites to Sawgrass Mills.

Suggestions I received included Uber or Lyft but I do not feel confident to use either.

Shuttle services seem difficult to track down.

What are your dates .?

Mmm I think judging by the distance away we might forget about sawgrass as it's a bit far tbh

We are in there 8th march

Edit: Dang! Now I see this is the day pre-cruise. I say stay at the Hampton Inn pre-cruise.

OK...So I went back and re-read your other thread about your stay and I presume you are talking about the two days post cruise. The wild card in your situation is you are flying back to the UK from MIA, so the Hampton Inn Plantation airport shuttle does not do you much good unless you go from Port Everglades after your cruise to FLL and then call the Hampton Inn for their shuttle. A little cumbersome, but it would save about $40 or so in taxi fare. Uber from PE would probably be about $30 directly to the Hampton Inn Plantation.

If you rent a car, your hotel location is not that important other than hotels in the 17th Street area will charge for parking. Since you don't want to rent a car then your choice of hotel is key to what you want to do. So...

What are your top priorities post cruise?

We are arriving 2 days before cruise and staying 2 nts after too and not sure what we want to do either side......I think sawgrass is a bit too far and I don't want to spend all day shopping can't put my DH through that :D we have decided to stay 2nts pre in 17th st area but still have 2 nts post to book somewhere DH quite fancies a beach now :eek:

As a South Floridian, I recommend Sawgrass Mall for someone wanting to spend the entire day shopping. Literally, an entire day. (And you'll probably want to rent a van to bring back your purchases[emoji38])

If you're not into marathon shopping, Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale is much more reasonable for a shopping trip. It's closer to 17th Street, and (if you really wanted to visit the beach) within walking distance to Fort Lauderdale's beach.

An Uber or taxi ride would be a reasonable price, if your hotel doesn't have shuttles to the mall.

I hope that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mmm I think judging by the distance away we might forget about sawgrass as it's a bit far tbh

We are in there 8th march

We are there in April. Was going to suggest sharing a taxi but obviously our dates don't match.

Please report back how you got on, on your return. Thanks.

last time I went to SawGrass

I was degusted by the huge number of 'out of country folks' filling newly bought bags with what they perceived as bargains ....

Tons of junk being offered to folks who wanted the 'American' price

I avoid the place ...... sad really

What I find sad and "desgusting" is the huge amount of ignorance you can find on CC.

Those " out of country folks" are keeping "in country folks" i.e. Americans employed... as well as mall operators happy and state and county tax men smiling.

If the "out of country folks" find our American junk a bargain and fill a Samsonite factory with our stuff.. who cares?

It's their money and our economy. It's not sad, it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shop a lot at Sawgrass and don't buy junk. In fact, I get most of my Manolo Blahniks at Saks. They certainly don't sell junk. My husband also gets his very nice Italian suits there namely Hugo Boss and Armani.

I'm not sure what the junk comment was about.

last time I went to SawGrass

I was degusted by the huge number of 'out of country folks' filling newly bought bags with what they perceived as bargains ....

Tons of junk being offered to folks who wanted the 'American' price

I avoid the place ...... sad really

This reply is inaccurate and hard to believe any time was spent there!!!! Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales,Saks 5th Avenue, Tommy Bahamas, Lauro Piano, St. John. Nordstom, Burberry,etc. outlets are not "junk stores".

I live in South Florida and go to Sawgrass Mills about 4-6 times a year. It has great selection and is the largest outlet mall in the world.

Does Sawgrass have some junk stores--YES--but they are not the primary stores there.

Many of the shoppers are from foreign countries.

Highly Recommended --but hard to get to without a car.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if there is any advice about how to get there after we dock in Miami. We are meeting a relative in ft lauderdale in the evening and would love to go back to sawgrass again although is there anywhere for us to store our post cruise luggage??

Just wondering if there is any advice about how to get there after we dock in Miami. We are meeting a relative in ft lauderdale in the evening and would love to go back to sawgrass again although is there anywhere for us to store our post cruise luggage??

I am trying to understand your scenario.

Do you have an evening flight home the same day that you disembark the ship in Miami?

Are you saying you want to go from the Port of Miami to Ft Lauderdale to meet your relative, go to Sawgrass Mall and then back to MIA all in the same day?

If so, renting a car is pretty much your only reasonably priced option.

I am trying to understand your scenario.

Do you have an evening flight home the same day that you disembark the ship in Miami?

Are you saying you want to go from the Port of Miami to Ft Lauderdale to meet your relative, go to Sawgrass Mall and then back to MIA all in the same day?

If so, renting a car is pretty much your only reasonably priced option.

No we are meeting the relative then going to stay with them in Naples for a few days after but they are working all day so I was wondering what to do about our luggage that day. We have now been told they have an apartment beside sawgrass so we just have to get there. Is Uber the best way for us?

What I find sad and "desgusting" is the huge amount of ignorance you can find on CC.

Those " out of country folks" are keeping "in country folks" i.e. Americans employed... as well as mall operators happy and state and county tax men smiling.

If the "out of country folks" find our American junk a bargain and fill a Samsonite factory with our stuff.. who cares?

It's their money and our economy. It's not sad, it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. We love our International guests. They bring a lot of money to the local economy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums