Disembarkation Question

photopro2

We have not even started our first cruise and I am already thinking about getting off the ship!

Seriously though, I would be interested to know how the process of disembarkation works on Viking Ocean. I think I have gathered that you put your cases out for collection at some point, is that right?

An outline of the process and any tips or suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

Mid-cruise you will fill out a form indicating your departure plans. Then the correct color tags are left on your bed the night before departure with the time you must have your luggage out. When you depart the ship, the bags are arranged by color for you to collect. Very easy and efficient!

We have not even started our first cruise and I am already thinking about getting off the ship!

Seriously though, I would be interested to know how the process of disembarkation works on Viking Ocean. I think I have gathered that you put your cases out for collection at some point, is that right?

An outline of the process and any tips or suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

Bags out by 10pm. Vacate cabin by 8am. Food service ends at 9:00AM.

This is how it worked for us on our most recent cruise: A couple of days before disembarking you are asked to fill out a disembarkation form with your flight times and whether or not you have Viking transfers. You will then receive luggage tags to put on the luggage that you put out the door and this same luggage tag color and number will tell you when to disembark. On disembarktion eve, the Daily will include the Disembarkation Schedule. There will be no announcements. You will be expected to be on your bus by the time given in the disembarkation schedule. If you don't have Viking transfers, you may disembark any time you want before but you must be off the ship by 9:45 am.

Luggage will be waiting for you in the terminal, sorted by color and then number. You will have to identify your luggage and take it to your bus. I believe there were people to help get luggage to buses but since we just rolled off the ship with all our luggage in tow, I cannot confirm this.

TIPS: Don't pack the clothing and shoes that you will be wearing off the ship in the luggage that is to be collected.

If all you have is carry-on luggage, you do not need to put anything out the night before.

There will be no announcements.

That's pretty much how I remember it, too - from September's cruise. The only thing I can add to what's been said already is something that is perhaps maybe too obvious to have to mention. However, I'll mention it anyway: don't pack your toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, passport, travel documents, electronics or meds. (Soap, shampoo, and hand lotion will be in your bathroom, but not toothpaste.) Don't throw away or leave your plastic ship's card, as Viking security personnel need to scan it to record that you're off the ship. They'll give it back to you once they scan it. Oh, and leave a little bit of room in your carryon for whatever you wear to bed.

....If all you have is carry-on luggage, you do not need to put anything out the night before.....

Since we are doing CarryOn - we do not have to put stuff out. Back when we did have bags, we often did not put them out and dragged them off on our own (other cruise lines). We always found packing the night before was such a letdown on the last night.

As to time - I would guess there might be a variance depending on the port, etc. I am sure they will tell us/you a few dozen times once onboard.

As to time - I would guess there might be a variance depending on the port, etc. I am sure they will tell us/you a few dozen times once onboard.

Actually, they won't tell you several times. As Peregrina has already said, there will be no announcement regarding disembarkation. You will get a newsletter in your cabin with instructions and then colored tags per how you have filled out your form.

You will hear very few announcements on the Viking ships.

Becki

Don't hold your breathe on that one. Two cruises now. Vacate cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 9:45am. It is not going to change by port.

We disembarked this morning in San Juan. I can add that when you pick up your luggage in "hall" there are porters to help get them to bus. We tipped as these are local workers.

Very easy transfer to airport at 8 am but then had to wait for United counter to open at 10:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is very helpful thanks everyone.

Do you have any experience of checking in for flights / printing boarding cards on board? I thought I would try asking here first rather than starting a new thread about that.

You can check in online using their computers, or your phone or tablet or computer - depending on what you bring.

But, please realize - you do not need to print boarding passes. Since you will be going to the counter at the airport anyways, you can get your boarding passes then.

You can check in online using their computers, or your phone or tablet or computer - depending on what you bring.

But, please realize - you do not need to print boarding passes. Since you will be going to the counter at the airport anyways, you can get your boarding passes then.

As a general comment, this is not necessarily true. United allowed us to upload photos of our passports on a smartphone and then issued our boarding passes. With boarding passes in hand and only carry-on luggage, we skipped the counter and the long lines altogether and headed right for security.

Wish it had been as simple on the way home but I was one of the random lucky ones who was chosen for additional screening at the gate and thus was forced to line up at the counter to get my boarding pass so they could explain it to me and give me instructions.

We also disembarked yesterday. They gave us color coded tags to put on our suitcases which we put out the by 10pm the evening before. Our flight was at 2:00 and had to be off the ship at 8:15. We waited in a public area for them to call our "color". Left the ship... got our suitcases and took them to the bus. We flew AA. You can only use the kiosks 4 hrs prior to your flight. We could go into the line to have your boarding passes printed. AA was not ready for the amount of people that invaded the airport. Because it was early...it was hurry up and wait. Someone mentioned that on another cruise line they had a tour that you could take early. I just wish there was something we could do to occupy the 5 hrs we spent at the airport. Got home at 10pm... It was a long day!! GREAT CRUISE!!!

• 2 weeks later...