Overnights stays

koalapanda

We are just home from our Seabourn Encore Western Mediterranean cruise. Whilst visiting San Margerita we wished it was an overnight stay. Besides being so beautiful, San Margerita it is so very close to , Portofino 15 mins by Ferry, Positano an 8 Km walk on the seafront, Amalfi and other beautiful spots along this wonderful coast.

We are just home from our Seabourn Encore Western Mediterranean cruise. Whilst visiting San Margerita we wished it was an overnight stay. Besides being so beautiful, San Margerita it is so very close to , Portofino 15 mins by Ferry, Positano an 8 Km walk on the seafront, Amalfi and other beautiful spots along this wonderful coast.

Positano and amalfi are many many miles away from portofino and santa margharita! They are south of Naples and santa margharita is nearer Genoa!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I beg your pardon you are correct galeforce9.

Sorry��.

My excuses are jet lag or maybe wishful thinking. Never the less San Margherita is so beautiful more time would have allowed for more exploration.

We would have liked to enjoy a long lunch at Hotel Splendido in Portofino. As it was our all aboard time was too early . Leaving us time only to sit and enjoy a cooling Aperol Spritzer at a pretty harbourside cafe in late morning heat.

I beg your pardon you are correct galeforce9.

Sorry��.

My excuses are jet lag or maybe wishful thinking. Never the less San Margherita is so beautiful more time would have allowed for more exploration.

We would have liked to enjoy a long lunch at Hotel Splendido in Portofino. As it was our all aboard time was too early . Leaving us time only to sit and enjoy a cooling Aperol Spritzer at a pretty harbourside cafe in late morning heat.

Agreed. Santa margharita is a "hidden" seaside town much favoured by Italians. Most people head off to portofino but it's nice to do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
Overnights would be nice and we had one on the Indonesia itinerary where we actually stayed in a hotel near Borobodur temple so we could be there for sunrise. A definite once in a lifetime event. I wish Seabourn would at least adopt the longer evenings in port like Azamara. I was underwhelmed with the ship but really enjoyed the later sail away times. Most of the stops we didn't pull out of port till 9pm or later.

nolatravelgirl, did you have to gain permission from Seabourn to be away from the ship overnight? We have planned a couple of private tours which involve being away from the ship on two occasions on our upcoming cruise. Someone on our Roll Call says that she has spoken to Seabourn and was told that you need to request permission to do an independent tour that requires being away from the ship overnight.

You need the request permission from the ship if you are going to disembark in one port and rejoin in another after overnighting. The ship must know a) so they aren’t waited by for you this delaying departure from the first port and b) to ensure it does not violate any maritime immigration laws since the purser is cleaning everyone in/out of the country every time the ship docks/departs. In some places, this can create issues.

In Indonesia, we did pass by Seabourn Square to pick up our passports (because they had collected them to process Indonesian visas quickly) and let them we were staying off overnight. We also let our suite stewardess know.

My experience on overnight ports (St Petersburg, Havana, Bali, Semerang, Venice) is that the gangway stays down all night. The entertainers often get a night off (or an early night) and the crew often go out for a late night in town. The bar staff will often try to roll up the carpet early so they can go ashore and join their friends!

When we were in Havana earlier this year (not on Seabourn), we came back to the ship around 1 am and were the last passengers back but we saw plenty of crew coming and going at that hour!

• 4 weeks later...

Overnight stays, as cruises embark and disembark, could prove helpful to those incoming passengers who might experience flight delays or other issues...for those leaving and staying in the city at the end of a voyage, they will have time to get the lay of the land or to have a leisurely experience in exploreing that city...and maybe even be to get that luggage off the ship early! Generally the last night onboard is quiet and a bit sad!

Edited by Horsgrl
typo

We haven't started on the cruise yet and private excursions. Have just finalised 2 weeks in South Africa prior. Happy planning.

How was your trip to SA? We will be on the Sojourn next January! Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

As I read this thread I am at CDG waiting for my flight to Barcelona where I will embark the Viking Star. The ship does not leave the port until tomorrow late afternoon. I am rarely this zen when traveling and I know I have lots of time to walk around my favorite city in the world. I don't have to wait around to check into a hotel or arrange for a transfer to the ship after hotel check out, nor do I need to unpack for an overnight and repack, reprogram the safe etc etc...

An overnight on embarkation day is a fantastic way to begin a cruise.

Overnight in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) was fantastic!

I agree, as was Bangkok and Halong Bay, Vietnam, on my recent cruise. I also enjoy an overnight or extra late departure from Papette, Tahiti, so I can attend an Island Night. As some places come alive at night, it is a pity to leave port early.

Yes, depending on the port. We had overnight in Quebec which was great. And will be on Encore in Valletta this year which we are looking forward to.

Cool Cruiser, are you on the June 16th Mediterranean Isles? That has an overnight in Valletta. We just booked on this one yesterday, it isa first x sailing on SB

We love 1-2 overnights in majors ports.. love the cities mentioned above. A singular port day in Myanmar, Bangkok, HongKong, Seychelles, Maldives and so many others is more like that old movie, if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium.