Can you board on the second day?

jobinhume

I'm booking my first trip on Holland America and I've been reading this board quite a bit. I can't see an answer to this question here or in the Italy ports of call board.

I'm leaving out of Rome on a ship where we embark on Saturday, but it doesn't actually sail away until Sunday.

Since I'm coming in a few days early and will already be settled in the city, is there any reason that I need to board on Saturday? Can I just finished my vacation in the city and then move to the ship on Sunday?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this

I'm booking my first trip on Holland America and I've been reading this board quite a bit. I can't see an answer to this question here or in the Italy ports of call board.

I'm leaving out of Rome on a ship where we embark on Saturday, but it doesn't actually sail away until Sunday.

Since I'm coming in a few days early and will already be settled in the city, is there any reason that I need to board on Saturday? Can I just finished my vacation in the city and then move to the ship on Sunday?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this

The short answer is "very likely".

The long answer is that you need to let HAL know your plans. Either yourself or thru your TA.

Second day departures are setup as a convenience to passengers who want some time to visit the departure port without needing to book shoreside accomodations.

We had the same schedule in Buenos Aires, tho we did stay on the ship for the overnight.

I boarded late in the evening on a cruise that overnighted in Quebec City, but most things will be the same.

The ship was set up to allow people to check in after "normal" check in time. I had to show my boarding pass to security at the ship and was told to go to the front desk to check in.

There were no porters to handle luggage; so whatever luggage you have, you must deal with. However, once on the ship there was a cabin steward at the security station that took my bag to the cabin.

Depending on when you arrive, there may be limited assistance available to get you to the proper place to board.

In my case the cab driver had no idea where to drop me, but I had been to Quebec City before and recognized after a minute where I needed to be.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but we are planning to disembark a day early on our next cruise. Our PCC applied for an "Itinerary Deviation" for us. I don't remember it being quite so complicated last time, but it took a couple of weeks this time to get approval. Good to plan ahead!:)

It might be easier (requiring no notification of HAL) to just go over to the ship without baggage to check in on Sat then return to the hotel until Sunday. Or you could move the bulk of your baggage on Sat and have just carry-on for Sunday. That way there will be porters at the ship to move it on board. You could even eat lunch or dinner there.

Personally I would fully board on Sat and save the price of the hotel for one last night.

Edited by jtl513

It might be easier (requiring no notification of HAL) to just go over to the ship without baggage to check in on Sat then return to the hotel until Sunday. Or you could move the bulk of your baggage on Sat and have just carry-on for Sunday. That way there will be porters at the ship to move it on board. You could even eat lunch or dinner there.

Personally I would fully board on Sat and save the price of the hotel for one last night.

John, I was guessing that the OP was hoping to stay an extra day in Rome. It would require around 3 hours to get from Rome to the ship to check in, then return to Rome. From what I understand, there isn't much around the actual port for site seeing.

John, I was guessing that the OP was hoping to stay an extra day in Rome. It would require around 3 hours to get from Rome to the ship to check in, then return to Rome. From what I understand, there isn't much around the actual port for site seeing.
OOPS - you're right. I was thinking of Venice of course, because that's where we did our overnight first night. :o :o Edited by jtl513

Most countries with se aports have cabotage laws. Italy's may or may not permit that. You must get approvval in writing from HAL o (e-mail) (U.S. has PVSA,,,) it is necessasry to comply with Italy's.)

Edited by sail7seas

The port for Rome, Civitevechia is a ditsance ouside Rome, It is not like you can go to 'cty center and find the ship.

Edited by sail7seas

I appreciate all the advice. I definitely will reach out to them when I confirm my plans.

Those of you who recommend saving the night hotel fee I totally get that and it definitely is a factor. However Rome being so far from the port and it being Easter weekend I feel like I can't count on the timetable to be able to get into the city and back again in time on Sunday.

These are nice problems to have!

The port for Rome, Civitevechia is a ditsance ouside Rome, It is not like you can go to 'cty center and find the ship.
Yes, I acknowledged my mistake in post #10. :)
Most countries with se aports have cabotage laws. Italy's may or may not permit that. You must get approvval in writing from HAL o (e-mail) (U.S. has PVSA,,,) it is necessasry to comply with Italy's.)
They are not boarding in a different port on the 2nd day so I don't see why any cabotage law would have any effect:

"Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two places in the same country by a transport operator from another country."

Edited by jtl513

Umm.. Please don't confuse the OP.. Cabotage Laws do not come into play here.. Cabotage Laws have to do with shipping companies carrying Psgrs &/or cargo between two ports in the same country..

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabotage

OP you should contact HAL & let them know what you are doing, & get it in writing...As others have mentioned you will probably have to handle your own luggage unless there are many others who plan the same thing & HAL is putting on staff to accommodate them..We've seen this done before!! As another poster mentioned, be sure to get to the ship early enough for Muster..Be aware that if it's Easter Sunday you may have special problems with mass transit between Rome & the port..

Enjoy your time in Rome..We were in Athens the night before Easter & there was a candlelight parade in town, perhaps they do the same thing in Rome..Our night was awesome..

Yes, I acknowledged my mistake in post #10. :)

They are not boarding in a different port on the 2nd day so I don't see why any cabotage law would have any effect:

"Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two places in the same country by a transport operator from another country."

Oops Sorry John I should have read the entire thread before posting.. :o

Many people don't understand Cabotage & I assumed that you did not see the post..:eek:

That's what I get for assuming..:o:o

OOPS - you're right. I was thinking of Venice of course, because that's where we did our overnight first night. :o :o

I was typing Post11 while you were hitting esnd for post 10. i could n ot and did not read yrr post until after i had finished mine. :rolleyes: :cool:

Edited by sail7seas