Please help me understand new Princess Credit Card changes

calliecat

We just booked a cruise for Sept, 2017. We have not used out Princess Credit card for the last 2 years but just started again to build up points for on board credit. We have approximately19,000 points and are hoping to get enough to have 400 OBC. But, I have been reading threads about changes so I went to their website.

What does this statement mean? What are the changes that has everyone so riled up?

"You may redeem Points for statement credits toward Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, Ibero, and Aida or an airline purchase that is equal to or greater than $50 and that posted to the Account within the prior 180 days."

Since my points were posted well beyond 180 days, can I use them for this upcoming cruise?

Thank you in advance.

But 19k won't get you $400. You have to have spent 4K plus on a single cruise in the last 180 days to get to the 2% redemption level. Just spent almost seven weeks arguing with Barclays as they did an expedited research investigation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just booked a cruise for Sept, 2017. We have not used out Princess Credit card for the last 2 years but just started again to build up points for on board credit. We have approximately19,000 points and are hoping to get enough to have 400 OBC. But, I have been reading threads about changes so I went to their website.

What does this statement mean? What are the changes that has everyone so riled up?

"You may redeem Points for statement credits toward Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, Ibero, and Aida or an airline purchase that is equal to or greater than $50 and that posted to the Account within the prior 180 days."

Since my points were posted well beyond 180 days, can I use them for this upcoming cruise?

Thank you in advance.

There are numerous current threads,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437495

There are (or at least used to be) two options being discussed here.

First is the redemption of points for OBC. You should be able to do this up to a couple of weeks before your cruise. I am not sure if you can do this via the Internet or have to call the credit card company.

Second is applying your points to offset Princess charges on your credit card account. This is what must be done within 180 days of the charges to that will be affected. It is this option that allows a higher value for point redemption if the charge is high enough. So far the bank has been very confused about how to apply this and many posts have been made by people who have been very frustrated trying to get this accomplished.

I guess I wasn't very clear.. I have read the threads and was very confused. We will be spending over $4000 since it is a 15 day TA for the cruise so that will get the 2%. I know 19, 000 won't get $400 so that is why we need to spend more. I was able to cash in several years ago for $400 or maybe 500? with no problem. Just seems many are unhappy with the new changes.

Edited by calliecat

I think I understand. Problems are with using it to pay for your cruise and what % you get dependson how much the cruise costs. That is where the problem is with Barclay. No problem using it for OBC which is what I want. I hope I'm on the right track. Thank you.

After you make that $4001 payment for a "qualifying" purchase you should be able to get a $540 statement credit for your 19K plus 8K.) That is equivalent to 2%. If your qualifying payment is less than $4001 then your percentage of statement credit is reduced, on a sliding scale. The percentages are in the Q&A on Barcleys website.

There have been problems with the qualifying purchase. I had 2 purchases over $4001 that should have qualified but Barclay's system didn't recognize them. Then when my qualifying purchases finally became qualified (just today) I had to call to have my 112K points applied because the website is still not working properly. I should have the credit in 7 to 10 working days. We shall see. I placed my 1st problem call with Barclay on Dec. 26th.

I hope this clarifies a bit what you should expect. And I do think they are actually making slow progress to get it fixed. And not all people are experiencing the issues with "qualifying purchases".

I think you get a better return for your credits with the statement credit rather than with the OBC but can't verify that from personal experience.

Edited by yoyosma