Regal Princess out of St Petersburg instead of Copenhagen

LA Native

Anyone ever started and ended Baltic cruise in SPB? Regal doing that routing this summer. Seems advantage would be more leisurely visit to SPB before cruise (with visa). Any experience doing this? Advantages and disadvantages? Coming from LAX. Thx.

Anyone ever started and ended Baltic cruise in SPB? Regal doing that routing this summer. Seems advantage would be more leisurely visit to SPB before cruise (with visa). Any experience doing this? Advantages and disadvantages? Coming from LAX. Thx.

Ours was out of Copenhagen. But you are right. You have more time and relaxed to explore other interesting SPB sites not covered by the standard 2 day SPB tour we had which is already on a tight schedule. Not to mention Moscow.

few thoughts

The flights will probably be long with a few stops.

When our cruise stopped there only about 20 or so passengers boarded, so boarding was easy once you go though the Russian exit process.

You probably will still have to arrange guided tours to get into the main attractions.

What is the cost and complexity of getting a Russian tourist visa for multiple entries which you will have. If you don't already know you probably should check this out.

The benefits would be extending your stay in St. Petersburg and even going to Moscow which is a huge plus. You can take a fast train between the two.

The negative is that you need to get your own visa. While it looks intimidating, I have gotten it 2x. It allows so much more freedom to do things.

While I haven't looked at hotels this year, last summer, the hotel prices were incredibly affordable. Even 5 star hotels were affordable. When I was there several years ago, they were so expensive.

While many people think they can easily see St. Petersburg in 2 days, I have probably spent 10 days there and still could see more. I also love Moscow - so many incredible things to do there.

As far as flights (have flown into and out of Moscow and St. Petersburg 2x) - I don't have any direct flights (small airports). I don't find it any different than flying to/from Copenhagen. For example - I flew from OMA-Chicago-London Heathrow-St. Petersburg. Coming home it was Moscow-Zurich-Chicago-Omaha. This is a common route for me for Europe to have that many stops.

Edited by Coral

Well that will put a crimp in anyone who is in the same boat (so to speak) as our friends. Their cruise is supposed to leave from Copenhagen, and their hotel and flight arrangements are to that city. This is in June. When does Regal start the new routing?

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Well that will put a crimp in anyone who is in the same boat (so to speak) as our friends. Their cruise is supposed to leave from Copenhagen, and their hotel and flight arrangements are to that city. This is in June. When does Regal start the new routing?

Bill

Regal has 3 different return cruises while doing that circuit of ports.

So passengers can be embarking / disembarking in Warnemunde, Copenhagen, or SPB.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Regarding a visa, it is my understanding that if you make your arrangements with a Russian tour company, your tourist visa is included, taken care of by the tour company. Just like doing an excursion off the ship with a private company.

If that is correct, maybe an easier way to do a few pre-cruise days is with a tour company, arranging transfers, hotel and day tours.

Pricewise, I have no idea what the comparative costs would be to doing it on your own. Might be worth checking into though

Regarding a visa, it is my understanding that if you make your arrangements with a Russian tour company, your tourist visa is included, taken care of by the tour company. Just like doing an excursion off the ship with a private company.

That works if you are doing a tour from a ship and you must stay with the tour the entire time, you can not wander off. It doesn't work otherwise.

You need a Russian visa otherwise. You will need an invitation from a tour company or hotel that you are staying at and you will need a visa if you are flying out of Russia. Having a Russian visa provides so much flexibility. You can walk out of your hotel on your own. There are tour companies in Russia that will put together packages and will also assist with invitations for visas.

Both of my trips were arranged with US companies with Russian companies and both times, we needed a Visa.

Unless you live near a Russian consulate or embassy, using a Visa service may be extremely helpful.

That works if you are doing a tour from a ship and you must stay with the tour the entire time, you can not wander off. It doesn't work otherwise.

You need a Russian visa otherwise. You will need an invitation from a tour company or hotel that you are staying at and you will need a visa if you are flying out of Russia. Having a Russian visa provides so much flexibility. You can walk out of your hotel on your own. There are tour companies in Russia that will put together packages and will also assist with invitations for visas.

Both of my trips were arranged with US companies with Russian companies and both times, we needed a Visa.

Unless you live near a Russian consulate or embassy, using a Visa service may be extremely helpful.

Thank you. Appreciate the information.