Upgrade strategy?

clarku

:confused: Do you think arrival time has anything to do with upgrades? I switched from a Connie Conc cabin to a verandah gty that was MUCH cheaper. It was so much cheaper I'm unable to justify the extra cost of fluffier pillows and the other stuff that goes along with concierge. I'm hoping that somehow we'll be upgraded. I guess I should just shut my trap and be thankful that we can swing a trip this. Any thoughts on upgrade arrival time strategy????:confused:

I having no problem with the worse cabin in the verandah category. When we originally booked the conc. cabin was only $150pp more than the cheapest balcony cabin, good deal. Now that a balcony gty is $1,100 less than the conc it's hard to justify the extras that conc brings. We can dine in Ocean Liners every evening and not get to half the difference. We're really just happy to be on the ship....

I having no problem with the worse cabin in the verandah category. When we originally booked the conc. cabin was only $150pp more than the cheapest balcony cabin, good deal. Now that a balcony gty is $1,100 less than the conc it's hard to justify the extras that conc brings. We can dine in Ocean Liners every evening and not get to half the difference. We're really just happy to be on the ship....

Great attitude. :)

Been inside, outside, balcony and suite. All our cruises were enjoyable. The only problem was one cruise where my spouse was a bit seasick inside. Since then she uses a patch. I'd take any room at all going anywhere so long as it is a cruise on a great ship. For pure relaxation and pampering it beats everyday life. No question a balcony or suite is for us when possible and if not we'll take what we can get. For our next cruise Nov 20th we just received an upgrade but my plan was to try both at the pier and onboard too. A poster said on board was the way to go so it could make a difference to get there early. Also found that a key consideration is asking for extras whatever your room. For example...if you want a fruit and cheese platter every afternoon see if the room attendant can bring it for you on your request. If not and we want something I'll just go get it from the buffet or wherever and bring it to our room. Can't complain about being in paradise and to us every cruise is just that.

Your balcony will likely be assinged long before you sail. It's the luck of the draw. The more times you've sailed with X the btter your chances are of getting moved up.

We have friends on the Connie now who had booked a 2A. A couple weeks before the cruise a Balcony gty became available. They dropped down, knowing they could get a 2C at worst, but were saving nearly $500. They ended up with a real nice 2B. Not bad drop one categor and save $500.

We just came off the Connie 10/29 cruise that we booked last January.Having been upgarded twice ourselves it seems to us that upgrades happen more often in the off season cruises when the ships don't fill up as fast as the vacation periods.The cruiselines consoildate the bookings that they have too better cabins veranda's/etc so they can sellout the cheaper inside and oceanview cabins at an attractice rate.If you average out how much $$ each cabin spends onboard each cruise you can see how they make their $$.Empty cabins don't create any income! We try to book our cruise vacation as early possible even by booking onboard for next year.We see many people booking onboard.The sales office is allways lined up with vacationers ready to signup again.The agent onboard told me that she works to midnight on some nights putting just to catch up on all the bookings she gets during the day. John

What are the chances of getting the upgrade if your travel agent has you part of a group rate?
If you did not request a spoecific cabin, your chances are the same as individual bookings.

However, don't count on any upgrades. They are rare and occur more often to amend a screwup of some kind by Celebrity rather than simply to fill an empty cabin.

The best advice, mentioned earlier by Texed, book the category of cabin you are willing to live with and don't count on any upgrades. If you get lucky, great, but see it as a surprise, not as a strategy.

I just booked an inside guarantee (at $150 each the cost of cruisecare insurance brought the fare to the next category, 12) 6 weeks out and within two days had my cabin assignment, a cat 11 on Plaza deck on Century, and am quite pleased because of its location. I was surprised it was so fast.

The deal about arriving early for upgrades at the pier is if you want to BUY them. See the pier coordinator first thing, if that is the case.

Also some circumstances it does not hurt to ask. We booked an ocean view 10 months out on Infinity. Prior to sailing and after final payment X offered upgrades for "new only" ocean view to balcony. I e-mailed TA and asked them to "remind" Celebrity they had been holding 900 smackers of ours for a long while plus we had another cruise on the books, It worked.

And as others have said, sometimes it makes sense to downgrade. We had a balcony booked on Mercury, prior to final payment a great rate opened up for ocean views, we switched down.

I am a believer in it's the luck of the draw and a little common knowledge for the upgrades.

Archived