Train from SYD into CBD

Yep sorry I thought it was only 1.5 but then I'm not a regular taxi user and even then seldom pay be card.

might depend on type card some places charge more if it is diners or amex other wise 1.5 there abouts have not seen 5% but hey could be wrong , think the worst 5% and if its not bonus

and dont have to tip in Australia my friends do when good service by choice but dont have to . caught a taxi a few years ago to airport paid $22 there abouts i think by card and yes was a fee there for it i think give or take the $2 there abouts but probably changed now

we got a maxi for 3 people back then too with a lot of stuff and paid 35 cash from airport to hotel

and dont have to tip in Australia my friends do when good service by choice but dont have to . caught a taxi a few years ago to airport paid $22 there abouts i think by card and yes was a fee there for it i think give or take the $2 there abouts but probably changed now

we got a maxi for 3 people back then too with a lot of stuff and paid 35 cash from airport to hotel

Let's hope your estimate is closer than some of the others. Honestly, at this point, I am leaning toward a shared shuttle. We will have plenty of time to get to the hotel, drop bags off before checking in, wander and have lunch, go to Coles, etc, so not in a big hurry. Might be a good solution and we can arrange it in advacne.

thanks everyone

ML

Let's hope your estimate is closer than some of the others. Honestly, at this point, I am leaning toward a shared shuttle. We will have plenty of time to get to the hotel, drop bags off before checking in, wander and have lunch, go to Coles, etc, so not in a big hurry. Might be a good solution and we can arrange it in advacne.

thanks everyone

ML

that 22 was for one person back in 2005 if anything with a taxi you have 4 people to divide cost if you went by train that is 4 fairs shuttle buses are 16 dollars there abouts each one way , there are a few different operators so they may vary but may not be by much,so giver or take 16 one way

found the following here

https://www.taxifare.com.au/rates/australia/sydney/

Peak Rates (06:00 - 21:59)

Flag Fall Distance Rate Booking Fee Waiting Time

$3.60 $2.19/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Off Peak Rates (22:00 - 05:59)

$3.60 $2.63/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Late Peak Rates (22:00 - 05:59 on Friday, Saturday only)

$3.60 + $2.50 $2.63/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Additional Fees

Airport Rank Fee $4.10

Toll Roads All toll road charges will be added to the fare

Credit Card Fee The maximum amount payable for a taxi non-cash payment surcharge is 5% inclusive of GST.

$41.84 to $58.57

Distance: 17.46 KM

Travel Time: 22 mins i did this from international to Wynyard i think thats where you said you were going

i did a rough estimate on taxi calculator for above price hope this helps too

the following is for the train and i think the 13.80 is on top of train fare any Sydney siders correct me on that if i am wrong as i am in Melbourne

Station access fee

Station access fee type Adult Concession

Single A$13.80 (+ train fare) A$12.40 (+ train fare)

i hope that helps

thanks everyone

ML

Just some thoughts to take or leave.....

I've caught taxis and trains from the airport to central Sydney many times. Not much difference - personally I like the train (and love the view of the ship from the train at Circular Quay) but after a long flight from the US you would probably want to go door to door. I have caught shared shuttles lots of times in the US but I've stopped doing that where possible as they seem to be less convenient than even public transport (going from hotel to hotel to hotel until they eventually get to yours). If your flight arrives early in the morning after a long night time flight (like many international flights into Sydney do) a shared shuttle will use some time (hours) up before check in. If not, I would be keen to get to my hotel asap to freshen up. I don't think you need to arrange in advance - my experience with doing that is that it is more difficult to find the pickup location than walking to the train or a taxi rank.

Here is the website for the train http://www.sydneytrains.info/travelling_with/places_to_go/sydney_airport

Whatever you decide, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

that 22 was for one person back in 2005 if anything with a taxi you have 4 people to divide cost if you went by train that is 4 fairs shuttle buses are 16 dollars there abouts each one way , there are a few different operators so they may vary but may not be by much,so giver or take 16 one way

found the following here

https://www.taxifare.com.au/rates/australia/sydney/

Peak Rates (06:00 - 21:59)

$3.60 $2.19/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Off Peak Rates (22:00 - 05:59)

$3.60 $2.63/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Late Peak Rates (22:00 - 05:59 on Friday, Saturday only)

$3.60 + $2.50 $2.63/km $2.50 $0.94/minute

Additional Fees

Airport Rank Fee $4.10

Toll Roads All toll road charges will be added to the fare

Credit Card Fee The maximum amount payable for a taxi non-cash payment surcharge is 5% inclusive of GST.

$41.84 to $58.57

Distance: 17.46 KM

Travel Time: 22 mins i did this from international to Wynyard i think thats where you said you were going

i did a rough estimate on taxi calculator for above price hope this helps too

the following is for the train and i think the 13.80 is on top of train fare any Sydney siders correct me on that if i am wrong as i am in Melbourne

Station access fee

Station access fee type Adult Concession

Single A$13.80 (+ train fare) A$12.40 (+ train fare)

i hope that helps

Thank you so much for doing this research for me, very much appreciated. Very helpful info. I must say we are leaning toward a maxi taxi but have not made final decision. If it weren't for storing the bags, I would take the train. Did this in London and it worked fine, but I am older now :D

ML

Just some thoughts to take or leave.....

I've caught taxis and trains from the airport to central Sydney many times. Not much difference - personally I like the train (and love the view of the ship from the train at Circular Quay) but after a long flight from the US you would probably want to go door to door. I have caught shared shuttles lots of times in the US but I've stopped doing that where possible as they seem to be less convenient than even public transport (going from hotel to hotel to hotel until they eventually get to yours). If your flight arrives early in the morning after a long night time flight (like many international flights into Sydney do) a shared shuttle will use some time (hours) up before check in. If not, I would be keen to get to my hotel asap to freshen up. I don't think you need to arrange in advance - my experience with doing that is that it is more difficult to find the pickup location than walking to the train or a taxi rank.

Here is the website for the train http://www.sydneytrains.info/travelling_with/places_to_go/sydney_airport

Whatever you decide, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

Thank you for your advice, I love it. If I were left to my own choice, I would take the train, even if I had to stand by my bag the whole way (after sitting on plane for 27 hours, that would be good)! And I always love to see scenery of new places on train ride into town. My 3 travelling companions, including DH, may not share my perspective but I will ask them again what they want to do. We do get in very early, so no time lost to take our time into Sydney. But, I am the only experienced international traveler and that has, oddly, made me the outcast of the group :)

I'll keep working on them, thank you for sharing your advice.

ML

Thank you so much for doing this research for me, very much appreciated. Very helpful info. I must say we are leaning toward a maxi taxi but have not made final decision. If it weren't for storing the bags, I would take the train. Did this in London and it worked fine, but I am older now :D

ML

most welcome don't mind helping if i can :)

on the bag thing when you guys get together and leave airport which ever mode you use to get there , go to hotel first , i am sure that they will let you leave your bags there till you check in , i have done this a few times in Melbourne and i think my friend and i did it in Sydney a few years back you are staying there so i dont see that they would have a problem then you can go off and see the sights etc they may let you even do the check in part and give you key when you come back from your sightseeing etc if they dont do check in till you get back wont matter as long as you can leave your suitcases till you can check in

I am sure you will work out what suits best on the day. Your hotel should be able to hold/store your bags in a secure area even if you cannot check in yet.:D

oops did not see your reply but like the saying goes great minds think alike lol

I always take the train from Sydney airport to Circular Quay.

I find it much easier to get to the train station then trying to get to the taxi rank then waiting in line or a shuttle.

We usually have two large suit case's and two back packs when we cruise out of Sydney. The Train is normally pretty empty when you board.

I find it much easier to get to the train station then trying to get to the taxi rank then waiting in line or a shuttle.

We usually have two large suit case's and two back packs when we cruise out of Sydney. The Train is normally pretty empty when you board.

I would agree that the train is very convenient, but they are travelling with four of them and also going to a hotel first. As for the train being empty, that is very dependent on the time (peak hours can be a real crush).

I am sure you will work out what suits best on the day. Your hotel should be able to hold/store your bags in a secure area even if you cannot check in yet.:D

most welcome don't mind helping if i can :)

on the bag thing when you guys get together and leave airport which ever mode you use to get there , go to hotel first , i am sure that they will let you leave your bags there till you check in , i have done this a few times in Melbourne and i think my friend and i did it in Sydney a few years back you are staying there so i dont see that they would have a problem then you can go off and see the sights etc they may let you even do the check in part and give you key when you come back from your sightseeing etc if they dont do check in till you get back wont matter as long as you can leave your suitcases till you can check in

Just wanted to post that the hotel (for some reason I don't get) needs to know in advance that we want to store our bags with them. I have no problem with telling them but it does seem strange that they can't just accommodate guests. Is this typical for Sydney--I know space is at a premium there but still...

Anyway, we did call ahead and tell them there would 4 of us plus bags, so I hope it works out. And I am hoping we can do some paperwork and check in when we arrive, even if we have to wait for the room.

But we will see and it will be a great adventure and fun and we will be in Sydney and getting ready for a cruise and....

ML

I would agree that the train is very convenient, but they are travelling with four of them and also going to a hotel first. As for the train being empty, that is very dependent on the time (peak hours can be a real crush).

I think if we were going straight to the port, this would work well for us. But, we are coming in 3 days early and it might work better to go to the hotel from the airport. At least we can drop our bags and start spending money :D

Empty train would be great but maybe not at about 10 am???

ML

Sorry, just thought of another question, and I don't want to start (yet another) a thread.

Can those of you (probably US citizens but maybe natives) give us an idea of how long it will take to get from our plane, thru baggage pickup and customs out to where we are free to go into Sydney? I am thinking this is about 90 minutes from landing to being cleared (I assume we go thru Customs and we have ESTA approval already). Just trying to plan, since our friends arrive about 3 hours after us. Maybe we should just go to the hotel and not wait for them???

Thanks for any insight

ML

10.00am is after the main peak so you should be ok.

There will still be people on the train, but at least you should be able to get a seat.

Sorry can't help with the airport question, haven't flown in for a long time

I understand and thank you for your advice. Would there be a spot where we could leave bags, while we sit? In London, the back of the car had places to stand a bag and you could sit nearby. But, I stood with my bag going from Heathrow to London. It felt good after a long flight!

ML

The trains are double deckers but have one flat area at each end of the carriage near each door. The seats go sideways and seat about 6 to 8 people on each side. You can sit here with the bags.

You would not be able to get the bags up or down the steps in the main carriage part and there is no where to put them.

Hope this make s sense.