Gaudi Recommendations in Barcelona

Spree75

Looking for some perspective on Gaudi architecture for our visit to Barcelona in July.

We have booked a private tour of Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and an outside walking tour of Passeig de Gracia.

My question is which other Gaudi buildings are your favorites to explore? From my research I've narrowed down the additional choices to Casa Mila, Casa Ballto, and Palau Guell. Both Casa Mila and Casa Ballto have either day and night tours which seemed interesting. Are these three buildings unique enough to visit all three?

Looking for some perspective on Gaudi architecture for our visit to Barcelona in July.

We have booked a private tour of Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and an outside walking tour of Passeig de Gracia.

My question is which other Gaudi buildings are your favorites to explore? From my research I've narrowed down the additional choices to Casa Mila, Casa Ballto, and Palau Guell. Both Casa Mila and Casa Ballto have either day and night tours which seemed interesting. Are these three buildings unique enough to visit all three?

My personal favorite is Casa Batlló - I find it the architectural jewel from among his wonderful buildings and along with La Sagrada Familia, a stunning masterpiece. My least favorite was Palau Güell but what one prefers is very personal. All of his buildings are unique and worth a visit. The link below offers a brief overview of the Gaudi sites in Barcleona:

http://www.globotreks.com/destinations/10-gaudi-buildings-barcelona/

Edited by dogs4fun

Just for info:

ABOUT GAUDI AND BARCELONA

Gaudi is only one of the famous architects that created works of art during the Modernist period, which was born and flourished in Catalonia, and particularly its capital Barcelona, around the turn of the 1900s. Although he's the better known, it's by no means the only one. A few of Gaudí's works have (unfortunately) become a sort of 'theme park attraction' -with all the ensuing inconveniences (ie crowds). Yet some visitors, especially those architecture and art lovers, might enjoy the fact there are quite a number of other impressive Modernist buildings in Barcelona (over 500 across the city), conceived by a number of Modernist architects (nearly 60 of them) beyond the 'obvious tourist attractions' tediously listed in many travel guides/websites. Most of them are private residences or offices thus can only be seen from the street (see 3), yet there is a number of them that can be visited.

For the later here are some suggestions:

1.) Other famous Modernist architects which works can be visited are: Domènech i Montaner (ie. Palau de la Música Catalana or Sant Pau Centre Modernista among many others) , Puig i Cadafalch (ie Casa Amatller, Palau Macaya or Casa Terrades), Enric Sagnier (ie. Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor on top of mount Tibidabo, with impressive views of the city), etc. Visiting works from different architects allows seeing the different approaches, styles and solutions.

2.) Gaudí, much like the other architects, designed many buildings and monuments not only in Barcelona but also in other cities/towns here in Catalonia as well as beyond. Gaudí's works in Barcelona include: Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló, Casa Milà (aka La Pedrera), Torre Bellesguard, Palau Güell, Park Güell, Pavellons Finca Güell, Casa Museu Gaudí, Casa Vicens (to open to the public this year), Casa Calvet (now a restaurant), Cripta Colònia Güell... plus a few more that are currently private residences or offices, hence not visitable.

3.) There's a DIY route: The Modernist Route, that takes you through a walk by the Barcelona of the most famous Modernist architects, including Gaudí.

4.) Worth mentioning a small Modernist museum in l'Eixample -very central- named Museu del Modernisme Català (MMCAT) -Museum of Catalan Art Nouveau- that offers a glimpse of the typical interior of a bourgeoise home during the Modernist era.

Enjoy