Houston to Honolulu - Airfare Price Point?

YadaYadaJodi

Hello! We are planning to take NCL POA cruise 9/2/2017. I am wondering if anyone knew what would be a good airfare from Houston to Honolulu to look out for. Also if you have any thoughts on when to book flights for the best price.

I'm a planner and it's driving me crazy to not just go ahead and book since we are sure we want to go! BUT, I'm also frugal and don't want to pay more than I have to. :p

Any help?! :)

The cheapest fares have already been sold- as most airlines put their cheapest fares out 330 days prior to actual flight.

As commonly recommended here, you just have to do your research. I would start checking airfares every other day, clearing cookies before and after each search. After a month or so, you may get the idea of a trend. Buy, and don't look back.

The plus is that September is something of a low time (technically, shoulder season, Hawaii is generally not considered to have a "low season'). We are arriving there Sept 5 for a land visit...already have our airfares- pretty good deal- and hotel- real good deal.

Edited by CruiserBruce

While you can take the nonstop IAH-HNL flight on United don't exclude connecting at LAX or SFO you might find a cheaper flight. (Also look at flying out of San Antonio or Austin. Houston has insane prices sometimes. When I lived in Houston I used to find flights form San Antonio or Austin, that connected in Houston much cheaper than a direct flight from IAH.) Also (unless you are wanting to stay on UA) look at AA connecting through DFW or LAX. You might find a cheaper flight with an extra stop or two.

Thanks for the advice so far! Keep it coming!

I am hoping some will be willing to share what they paid from Houston to Honolulu so I will know a good price when I see it. ;)

What somebody paid in the past has ZERO bearing on what you might pay. The numbers don't correlate. But looking at the current fares, like on ita.matrix, will give you far more relevant info.

Flying to HNL October 10 and booked a few weeks ago with Hawaiian airlines, $219 pp one way SFO to HNL.

But, how much are you paying to get from "the Midwest" to SFO? And, be sure you are prepared for delays at SFO; SFO has issues with fog and will slow the airport down to a crawl many times (from experience with traveling to the Bay area 1x/month for years).

Edited by slidergirl

But, how much are you paying to get from "the Midwest" to SFO? And, be sure you are prepared for delays at SFO; SFO has issues with fog and will slow the airport down to a crawl many times (from experience with traveling to the Bay area 1x/month for years).

We pay nothing to get from the Midwest to SFO as we use points to fly to any gateway Southwest flies out of. I realize not everyone can use points. But sometimes thinking outside the box and considering all the possibilities pays off. Those flights from the western gateways like PHX, HOU, San Antonio, LAX, SFO or San Diego are usually much cheaper than a direct flight from the east coast or Chicago. If you can snag a cheap flight from home into one of those gateways, you can sometimes save a bunch.

We travel several days in advance, so if we get fogged in, no problem.

We booked Dallas to Honolulu (Via Salt Lake City) and paid $750 round trip for flights in March of 2017. I've been watching pretty closely and the cheapest I've seen is about $670 or so.

We purposely avoided LAX as I am flying with 2 70+ year olds. I didn't want to deal with LAX... Now with the travel ban... SO GLAD we avoided LAX!

hope this helps.

Edited by TexasLadyBug