vaccination malayasia thailand vietnam

cruisegrancruise

We have cruised several times to the countries you mention and do not have any specific vaccinations. However, we have a flu shot every year and make sure our other vaccinations (Tetanus, polio etc) are up to date. If you intend to eat food from street stalls you should consider hepatitis immunisation. If you plan to eat in a hotel restaurant or high-class restaurants, it may not be necessary, but could be a good precaution anyway. Discuss this aspect with your doctor.

We are on the same itinerary and have just had our vaccination boosters for Hep A, Typhoid, Polio, Diphtheria and Tetnus, these have to be ordered and injections are given 6 weeks prior to departure, there is no requirement for Malaria tablets however we were reminded about using repellent for mosquitos..Incognito insect repellent and soap is what we will be using..Hope this helps..

Even though nothing specific is required. There are several recommend. Primarily Hep A, Tetnus and typhoid. If you have not routinely gotten Diptheria and Polio you might consider those as well, especially if you are going into rural areas. They are recommended for anyone on a trekking trip in those areas.

I also have Hep B since Hep A and B can now be gotten in a combined shot sequence.

Edited by RDC1

We are cruising to the South Pacific. No vaccinations are "required" but CDC definitely recommends Hepatitis A (and possibly B) vaccinations. We are getting the Hep A shots - 2 injections 6 months apart. We don't plan to eat street food or stay with a local family and I don't plan to have same sex intercourse so we aren't getting the Hep B series - I "think" that is 3 injections rather than the 2 for Hep A. Being heterosexual is no protection from Hep B and my friends who are not heterosexual aren't promiscuous but local sanitary conditions can be of concern.

Our daughter-in-law at one time spent a fair amount of time in Thailand and she got both inoculations as she definitely was going to eat a lot of street food and had extensive social interactions with the locals. She also said she was pretty leery of the sanitary conditions in the "western" venues in Thailand - not just the local venues or street vendors.

While not required, I feel more comfortable getting at least the Hep A injections. I know someone who came down with Hepatitis and it was definitely not something I would recommend messing around with.

I've been in Asia since 2005 living in Korea, China and Thailand. In that time I've spent months in Indonesia, ridden motorcycles for weeks through Laos and I've visited: Mongolia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Papua New Guinea, Australia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

I've never had a vaccination (other than as a child).

I cruised to the same places as you are and took a small amount of local currency for Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore. US dollars will be accepted but I didn't find anywhere that would take GBP.

I also didn't have any vaccinations.

Thanks for all the replys very helpfull we may be to late to get our jags now anyway we will just have to hope were ok maybe someone who has been on the cruise might be able to tell me will i need to take thai, vietnam and singapore currency with us or is the british pound ok

It depends what you want to do in each port. In Singapore you will need local currency, but in Vietnam US$ is the best. In Thailand, some places will accept US$ but others will only take baht. I don't think GBP will be accepted. :)

We are cruising to the South Pacific. No vaccinations are "required" but CDC definitely recommends Hepatitis A (and possibly B) vaccinations. We are getting the Hep A shots - 2 injections 6 months apart. We don't plan to eat street food or stay with a local family and I don't plan to have same sex intercourse so we aren't getting the Hep B series - I "think" that is 3 injections rather than the 2 for Hep A. Being heterosexual is no protection from Hep B and my friends who are not heterosexual aren't promiscuous but local sanitary conditions can be of concern.

Our daughter-in-law at one time spent a fair amount of time in Thailand and she got both inoculations as she definitely was going to eat a lot of street food and had extensive social interactions with the locals. She also said she was pretty leery of the sanitary conditions in the "western" venues in Thailand - not just the local venues or street vendors.

While not required, I feel more comfortable getting at least the Hep A injections. I know someone who came down with Hepatitis and it was definitely not something I would recommend messing around with.

There is another very important reason for having Hep B in a third world country. If you ever need an emergency blood transfusion or an emergency surgical procedure. Hep screening is not often the best in some third world countries.

Hey folks, Typhoid is for the bad food and water....like what you could get from uncooked or not very hot cooked foods. Tetanus is prevented from those bad sticks in wooded areas, trekking and things like this...

So eat on the street if you dare, but you should make sure food is hot. Water is not what you are used to and the typhoid lives in the water. We think of water to drink....but what about locals when they cook...it is not purified water.....so get a typhoid to be safe. If you don't have time....just watch what you eat. That stomach cramping is no fun on a cruise. ...