Carnival Hub question (app new to me)

clarkie138

I'm sure there are a gazillion threads on this app, however I just discovered it this moring. I haven't been on these boards in years. Anyway, I am going on the Vista in August, I know that it is available, I know it's $5 for cruise for the chat feature, but my question is, I can't log on and see anything until the cruise? Only the countdown clock? And from what I understand the Wifi onboard isn't free, but it says that you need to connect to shipboard wifi in order to log in. Is this free wifi upon boarding or something? So this basically means anyone who is using this app has to login and connect right when they get on the ship, before leaving port right? Thanks in advance.

From my understanding Carnival has it set up to where you can connect to the hub app only for free, without having to buy a wifi package. The only thing that cost with the app is the chat feature but for five dollars it seems kind of worth it to me.

My mother is on the Glory right now and she already had the app downloaded but didn't start using it until half way through her cruise....not sure why. Just make sure your phone is on airplane mode and then follow the directions on the app. She has been messaging us on the facebook messenger app and checking in with us. And yes it is only costing her the $5 per day to use. We are going to use it on the Magic in a couple weeks.

Edited by margaritaville momma

She must have internet too. The $5 is jus for the app and chat feature onboard. We just used it on our cruise. You have to get the #id number of each person you want to chat with. We also set up a group chat so we didn't have to chat individually.

Yes, it's only for when you're on the ship. So we downloaded it while we were in port on embarkation day. Then like someone said, have it in airplane mode and you connect to the ship's WiFi. We didn't have internet, just the basic app and chat feature (which is $5). So we were able to message with our friends, since our bookings were connected by our PVP. And then we could see all the activities for the day, which was nice.

I'm sure there are a gazillion threads on this app, however I just discovered it this moring. I haven't been on these boards in years. Anyway, I am going on the Vista in August, I know that it is available, I know it's $5 for cruise for the chat feature, but my question is, I can't log on and see anything until the cruise? Only the countdown clock? And from what I understand the Wifi onboard isn't free, but it says that you need to connect to shipboard wifi in order to log in. Is this free wifi upon boarding or something? So this basically means anyone who is using this app has to login and connect right when they get on the ship, before leaving port right? Thanks in advance.

You cannot log in until you are on the ship. You put your iPhone or iPad on airport mode, follow instructions and you will get all that the app has for free. You can buy the chat feature for $5 for the entire cruise. If you want to purchase the social media for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc, then you will get internet for those sites. Also available for purchase is a value or premium plan.

Yup, the app + it's use (except chat) is free. It's very handy, contains ship maps, what's happening, dining times, sail n sign acct summary. Once onbaord, turn airplane mode on, wifi on, and tap "I'm aboard". You login first time only with your folio number + birthdate. From then on, just turn wifi on + open app.

Let me see if I can explain.

Like you have read already, you must have in airplane mode (if you do not want, on wanted charges $$$ from your provider) as for using the app it does not matter if your in airplane mode or not. You will turn on your WiFi and what you will connect to is what they call 'Intranet' not the 'Internet' :eek: and the only thing you will be able to connect to is the ships app (Unless of course you paid for internet time). We just did this on the Princess Ruby over Christmas and I thought it was handy. The only bad thing was the messaging, yes you could message someone once you got there ID#, and added them to your contacts. However it would not let you know someone messaged you. You would have to physically open the app and look to see if someone did massage you:(. If the Carnival app is like the Princess app it was nice to have for show times, maps, ect... I sure hope this helps you and anyone else that needed it.

Edited by Alaskan Joe

My family of 9 (4 cabins) sailed on the Conquest in January and honestly, I don't know what we would have done without the Hub! With 9 people and all the choices of activities, other than for dinner each night, we were never all together. The Hub made it possible to keep tabs on everyone, at any time.

For instance: I would wake up every morning before my husband and find a message from my sister as simple as "Reading a book on the promenade across from the tasting bar" I would sneak out and join her. Or someone would say "going back to the cabin for a nap" and the best one "found four lounge chairs on the deck next to the slide". It was almost a necessity, I would say.

The next thing I loved about it was that I could look at the Funtimes and flag any activities I was interested in attending and 1) it would also show me if anyone else in my group had also marked it as an interest to them and 2) It would text me a message 15 minutes before that activity started so I wouldn't forgot.

I also want to add that as long as you leave the app open, you do get notifications of messages. At least we did. There area even sound alerts. Now, we did find that occasionally, maybe twice a day, it would be good to close it out and reopen it. Sometimes it just needed to be reset. I told me kids that if they did not see any activity on the app for more than an hour or 2, then should re-open it. Worked like a charm every time.

This was all used with the $5 for the entire cruise option. My niece and nephew and son all did the $5 a day option so they could connect with friends via facebook messenger. Of note, we were also able to use our son's service through that $5 a day plan to check in for our Southwest Airlines flight, which you need to do 24 hours before your flight.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but we really did think it was awesome. I have already marked done on my future cruise notes to make sure we always get this. We loved it!

Hubby and I are cruising on the Vista next month. We both want to use the chat feature on the Hub app. I will also want to post to some social media sites. My question is, once you download the app (which I have done), then the Chat part is free and we can communicate with each other as much as we want, right?

Regarding social media, I know I would need to buy that package in addition, correct?

Hubby and I are cruising on the Vista next month. We both want to use the chat feature on the Hub app. I will also want to post to some social media sites. My question is, once you download the app (which I have done), then the Chat part is free and we can communicate with each other as much as we want, right?

Regarding social media, I know I would need to buy that package in addition, correct?

you have to pay $5 per person to use the chat program. so in your case it is $10 for the two of you. This is per cruise as well, so if you take another cruise you would need to pay again.

The Social Media package is different and does not get you the chat feature.

One more question..I'm planning on getting internet, which ever is above the social media plan. Do I need to pay the 5 dollar charge to message on hub app? Or will regular internet cover that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless they have changed it in the last two months, you still would need to pay $5 per person that wants to chat, even if you pay for the internet.