Camera Recommendation

Jim_Iain

Keep in mind that you are, by admission, "camera people". Many who come here are looking for no more than a signpost in the fog and suggestions of favorites are good for that. B&H has excellent, detailed spec sheets and DP Review does good in-depth reviews (usually on higher-end models, not mid- to low-end compacts) but for non-camera people, much of the information may as well be written in Klingon.

When I go to buy a camera or lens, I will research it in more detail than is really healthy but if I needed a guitar, I would ask a friend what he or she thought was a good one to start with.

Dave

We are all just trying to be helpful.

We are all just trying to be helpful.

Hope you didn't think I was correcting you. My comment was more aimed at the OP. Reading a detailed review with no background in photography or digital tech can be daunting, not to mention wading into the word wars over in the general camera forums at DPReview. That can be a shock if you're not ready for the world of rabid brand religion.

Any and all help is welcome here. :)

Dave

In addition to my Olympus EM-1 Mark 2 system, I carry a Canon Powershot S120 that fits nicely in my shirt pocket and takes RAW format images. It can be as automatic or "fine-tuned" as you wish.

I've had an S100 for a couple years that takes great pics when I don't want to carry my DSLR and also serves as my underwater camera (in housing of course :) ). Always been a fan of the small "mid-grade" Canon P&S. If I were to buy another P&S, I'd probably look at the Canon G-series if I wanted a more advanced "traditional" P&S, or one of the smaller SX series like the 620 or 720 for the super zoom. Since it would be secondary to a decent DSLR, I'd probably pass on the small image quality improvements of the G series in favor of the 1000mm focal length of the SX :)

My main camera is a Sony a6000, which has taken over 50k pictures in the past 2-1/2 years. Certainly not pocketable

I'm sold on Sony for their sensor technology and the features they've been putting in their cameras. Hard to make a specific recommendation without a budget though.

I've gone through a number of Canon Powershot versions over the years. I'm convinced that Canon has essentially abandoned the low-mid (<$300) market. My Sony DSC-WX80 is a great little $125 camera and blows away the $2-300 Canons I had previously, particularly for low light performance.

Good luck on your search!

This is also something I'm interested in getting like many I've got a really good DSLR and a few different lenses. However I don't want to carry it around. The two I'm looking at is the

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ70 & Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80

However the TZ70 has 12mp and the TZ80 has 18mp BUT the TZ70 shoots in RAW and the TZ80 doesn't !! which would you go for less mp and RAW format or 18mp with jpeg? and why do Panasonic do this :mad:

This is also something I'm interested in getting like many I've got a really good DSLR and a few different lenses. However I don't want to carry it around. The two I'm looking at is the

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ70 & Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80

However the TZ70 has 12mp and the TZ80 has 18mp BUT the TZ70 shoots in RAW and the TZ80 doesn't !! which would you go for less mp and RAW format or 18mp with jpeg? and why do Panasonic do this :mad:

The benefits of RAW on a small sensor with more limited dynamic range are less than they would be on a DSLR or mirrorless camera. If you want a pocketable camera and have convinced yourself that you need RAW, consider one of the 1" sensor cameras like Sony's RX100 series or Panasonic’s ZS100.

Otherwise, the higher resolution will only benefit you if the lens is up to resolving to the capacity of the sensor. Panasonic has a reputation for excellent lenses, so the 18MP would likely not be wasted.

Dave

I am looking for a good shirt pocket size camera. While I have a nice SLR camera I really enjoy a good camera that will fit in my pocket and not have a large camera to lug around while on shore excursions.

Recommendations appreciated.

I use Panasonic Lumix ZS100 4k as a pocket camera.

Not shirt pocket, front pants pocket.

Amazing pics, awesome panorama mode. Good battery

life. Great low light camera. Good for snaps around ship.

Also have Canon S120 pocket camera, terrific pics but short battery life. It is now a backup camera.

Pocket cams don't usually have high magnification....I use a

Canon SX60 also.

Check out the ZS100.

Reduced size panorama pic...ZS100.

RainyCoconuts211.jpg.29a98f6c3f8f7111d64ba10b8941d38c.jpg

Edited by Rocket3D

• 1 month later...
Use you OBC next cruise....our last couple of point and shoots have been thanks to OBC. The X staff are quite knowledgeable and will advise. Let them know what you want your camera to be able to do and they will give you a few options.

Not necessarily much cheaper than buying on line but if you have OBC you are struggling to spend a great way to get rid of it.

I was just revisiting this thread, & after your comment about buying onboard, this reminded me of something spotted on Ovation of the Seas in February.

In the photo gallery / camera sales area there was a boxed Canon EOS 7D with 18-135mm kit lens being sold for US$1,899.99. (approx. AU$2400 at the time). This camera was made obsolete back in September 2014 when the Mark 2 was released, & really shouldn't still be "on the shelf" - let alone on a ship that hadn't had it's maiden voyage until after September 2014!

The shops on board these ships are filled with old stock, waiting for people that know no better to come along & purchase. If you look at the Citizen watches, they are all old models (although there were a couple of later models on Ovation), but you'd have to be really really fortunate to find the latest model cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

I got our Nikon Coolpix AW-100 for hiking in England (we're not divers, so no so much for underwater photos). Since then, it's our go-to camera for shore excursions, especially city tours where I can more inconspicuous. Also, if it rains on our excursions, i don't have to protect it. For longer cruises and land tours, I sometimes also take a Nikon D90 with Tamron 18-250 zoom.

It's time to upgrade to the AW-130 for its better grip and ergonomics -- especially toggling the zoom function. Olympus Tough TG-4 looks very good, but I don't shoot RAW and would not like to go from 5X optical zoom to 4X.