Roatan Excursions

drewzy

My family will be going on our first Cruise in June on the Carnival Dream. We are a family of 5 with kids ages 19, 17 & 14. Any suggestions on an excursion for Roatan? We would like to snorkel from the shore, paddleboard, kayak, enjoy the beach with a couple of drinks, possibly see a couple of sites and a souvenier shop or 2 (my girls always get a t-shirt from every place we go). I'd love beautiful clear water & fewer crowds if possible. I've looked into Little French Key, Tabayana Beach, West Bay, West End, and am confused on which would be best for us. Is the beach at Mahaogany Bay where the ship docks nice enough or are the other beaches much clearer/nicer? Any suggestions on locations, pricing, transportation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Or try Roatan thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

When we went, we went to Bananarama. Snorkeled, had lunch. Might be able to rent kayaks, paddleboards. There is a T-shirt shop there (and maybe down the street, as you come in). Nice beach, chairs on beach, tables in shade to sit/eat at. Lots of choices there.

But lots of ideas on that board.

good luck

ML

My family will be going on our first Cruise in June on the Carnival Dream. We are a family of 5 with kids ages 19, 17 & 14. Any suggestions on an excursion for Roatan? We would like to snorkel from the shore, paddleboard, kayak, enjoy the beach with a couple of drinks, possibly see a couple of sites and a souvenier shop or 2 (my girls always get a t-shirt from every place we go). I'd love beautiful clear water & fewer crowds if possible. I've looked into Little French Key, Tabayana Beach, West Bay, West End, and am confused on which would be best for us. Is the beach at Mahaogany Bay where the ship docks nice enough or are the other beaches much clearer/nicer? Any suggestions on locations, pricing, transportation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

As we are bilingual, we decided in 2014 to take a cab tour ($100 for the day) and see the island. Interesting to see the poor villages, and learn about the island. After about 1 hour we wanted to go to the beach-Bananarama I think or some other on the West End. Never again.

The beach was tightly packed with chairs, shallow back to front and the vendors were nonstop nuisance! Wouldn't leave us alone.

We then got a quick look at the Carnival Beach before departure and decided this is where we are coming next time and the next time, etc.

I've read through much of the Roatan thread, it's just so hard to decide what is right for us. Is West End always really crowded? I guess it depends on how many ships are in port that day?

I think a lot of it depends on how many ships are in port. It is a popular place. We had 2 ships in port when we were there and I didn't find the West End to be really crowded. It was busy but not really busy.

Try the animal sanctuary, it was a big hit with our family. They rescue and rehabilitate orphaned animals including monkeys. We got to hold baby monkey's (triplets) that were so adorable and cuddly. I hear they've rescued a sloth that's pregnant and very tame and sweet natured. Can't wait to go there in August. :D Just book an island tour that goes there and then head back to port for beachside activities and shopping. Carnival has a multi million dollar cruise port there that's got everything and the beach is breathtaking. We've been to other beaches but the one at port is just as beautiful and free. Plus there's shopping and restaurants which makes it the perfect place to end your day after an island tour. This is what we did last time we were there and my teens liked it so much they want to do he exact same thing again this summer. :)

We did the Jolly Rogers Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. Left in the morning for half day. It's the best catamaran excursion we've taken. We usually get a snack and drinks.This crew came with LUNCH and drinks. We were going to wait and eat on shore, but honestly, the food smelled and looked so good we dove in. It was delicious and the drinks were plentiful. The snorkeling was great. The separate folks into "beginners" and advanced so that everyone was safe. We had beginners and advanced so it worked out great. If you do this excursion, you'll still have plenty of time to hit a beach. We were hesitant to book it through the ship. We called direct and they said if coming on a ship, we had to book through them. Turned out just fine. They picked us up at the dock and dropped us off. When we came back in on the catamaran, there were some ladies making beaded Christmas ornament...which we try to snag at every port.These are the only beaded ones we have gotten. It was a PERFECT excursion. Could not have asked for a better crew or day in Roatan.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are thinking of doing a tour of the island that includes seeing monkey's/animals and off shore snorkeling in the morning and then Mahogany Beach in the afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are thinking of doing a tour of the island that includes seeing monkey's/animals and off shore snorkeling in the morning and then Mahogany Beach in the afternoon.

We did the Fun in the Sun Tour with Victor Bodden tours in Roatan-it was around $35 p/p and we had a little tour of area before going to see the animals and monkeys. Our children were all in their 20's the first time going there and thought it was one of their favorite excursions. This excursion also includes going to West End which is what the locals call Tabayana Beach according to our driver. They did some snorkeling there. It can get a little crowded but we were some of the first ones there this past year and got some good chairs on the beach. Chairs are included in the price. The bad part was all the people coming by trying to sell us things. Mahogany Bay was very crowded the first time we went there and there were no chairs close to the water, so we ended up just shopping away.

Thank you.

Tabayana Beach Break fits your requirements to a T, though with five of you it will be less expensive to get a private excursion or day passes to one of the resorts at West Bay (these are very close to Tabayana). Do not recommend staying at Mahogany Bay, snorkeling is mediocre at best, and it is a mand made area. The only thing good about it, if anything, is that it is walking distance from the ship.

I have read some really great reviews on private tours and have found some that would cost much less per person than the tours booked through Carnival. The port schedule shows there will be 2 ships at Mahogany Bay the day we are there. I would prefer a natural beach versus manmade, but have also read that Mahogany Bay is beautiful. I was thinking if we did a tour in the morning or into early afternoon, we could return to Mahogany Bay then head back to the ship as each of us are ready to. Is Mahogany Beach crowded all day or does the afternoon or morning seem to be more crowded. It sounds like seeing some of the island, visiting an animal sanctuary then West End / Tabayana Beach a good option for us. I would like to see more of the island versus spending more time and $ at Carnival's shops. However, others have commented that Mahogany beach is beautiful and free and would stay there. I would like to get away from the crowds though.

I have read some really great reviews on private tours and have found some that would cost much less per person than the tours booked through Carnival. The port schedule shows there will be 2 ships at Mahogany Bay the day we are there. I would prefer a natural beach versus manmade, but have also read that Mahogany Bay is beautiful. I was thinking if we did a tour in the morning or into early afternoon, we could return to Mahogany Bay then head back to the ship as each of us are ready to. Is Mahogany Beach crowded all day or does the afternoon or morning seem to be more crowded. It sounds like seeing some of the island, visiting an animal sanctuary then West End / Tabayana Beach a good option for us. I would like to see more of the island versus spending more time and $ at Carnival's shops. However, others have commented that Mahogany beach is beautiful and free and would stay there. I would like to get away from the crowds though.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I had one stop at Mahogany Bay and that was one too many. I don't find it beautiful at all, at least when compared to real Caribbean beaches.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I had one stop at Mahogany Bay and that was one too many. I don't find it beautiful at all, at least when compared to real Caribbean beaches.

Are there any beaches in Roatan that you've been to and would recommend?

I would strongly suggest either a Best of Roatan private tour or the Fun in the Sun tour with Victor Bodden. The Fun in the Sun tour has a tour guide that is giving information during the the entire tour of the island. You will be able to get family and or individual pictures with colorful birds and monkeys at his base camp as well as an up close look of the island. We will going for our 3rd time in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would strongly suggest either a Best of Roatan private tour or the Fun in the Sun tour with Victor Bodden. The Fun in the Sun tour has a tour guide that is giving information during the the entire tour of the island. You will be able to get family and or individual pictures with colorful birds and monkeys at his base camp as well as an up close look of the island. We will going for our 3rd time in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will look into the tours with Victor Bodden. I have read some great reviews on Theris Dixon Isla Roatan Day Tours also.

I will look into the tours with Victor Bodden. I have read some great reviews on Theris Dixon Isla Roatan Day Tours also.

With the Fun in the Sun, you go to the beach last and the driver will ask you how long you want to stay. The times we went, we stayed about 2 hours at the beach. There was time to go back to Mahogany Bay and shop if we wanted to. Some of our family of 6 went back to the ship to eat and then went out for a little shopping/looking in the shops!

Be sure and take mosquito repellent with you. The first time we went, there were a lot of mosquitoes in the van when we got in it. I was wrong with the price above. It is just $30 p/p and includes everything.

http://www.boddentours.com/highlights.htm

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a cruise on Norwegian Dawn. My husband & I wanted to snorkel and see the fabulous reefs. We chose West Bay. After reading about taxi fare negotiations & rates, I decided to go the safe route & book a tour. We didn't want the cruise tours since they have been disappointing in the past. So we chose Theris Dixon Tour, Guided Reef Snorkel by boat. It offered a private tour to 2 reef locations, transportation to and from the cruise ship, time to sight see and shop, swim & relax at the beach when done, and return when you choose. It was listed at $60 each but booking over the holiday cost an extra $20 for my husband & I which was a total of $140. It was worth every penny. It is a family business & they were attentive to any need or request. I had forgotten my under water camera & they phones a shop and stopped so I could get one. On drive over, the driver (Henry) explained about island life and point out sites. You get a real feel for the lives of the local people. Reef was great - most beautiful snorkel we have done. As seniors in our 70s, the climb into the boat was a challenge but if we could do it, figure anyone could. The ladder was put on the side of the boat and you can get a visual from that. One of the sons was our guide and he was great - so considerate. Locally grown pineapple was cut and given to us - sweetest I've ever had. If you don't get quick response from Theris, just call her. I was on a short time line, booking at the last minute so I called. They can arrange a tour to fit your need. You can count on them doing exactly what they promise. Directions to the pick up was really detailed (since had to be outside of Norwegian controlled area).