Dawn Princess buy internet minutes before cruise or on ship? Alos how is the internet

gvre

We will be on the Dawn Princess in 3 weeks in Australia /New Zealand. We will need to buy the maximum about of minutes.

They offer 680 minutes $199.00 This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes, if I purchase before the cruise.

Is the same package available when we get on board and how fast is the internet?

Thanks,

Richard

We will be on the Dawn Princess in 3 weeks in Australia /New Zealand. We will need to buy the maximum about of minutes.

They offer 680 minutes $199.00 This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes, if I purchase before the cruise.

Is the same package available when we get on board and how fast is the internet?

Thanks,

Richard

Internet on Princess IMO is bad.

Someone just returned from a cruise and wrote a review here on CC in the last couple of weeks and said they lost pretty much all their time because of the slow internet onboard. They said that they purchased the 680 minutes and the system never logged out them despite doing exactly what they were supposed to do.

We have experienced issues on our last several cruises.

I would not count on it being available all the time.

We don't even use our free minutes anymore. Not worth the aggravation.

Thanks Kieth...is the price the same on board the ship or is better to buy them pre-cruise?

Your welcome.......

I am not sure if they offer that same deal onboard.

I know they give some bonus minutes but not sure if it's a full 80 though.

I am sure some recent cruises will give a heads up on this. :)

Thanks,

Richard

On board you will probably only be offered a bonus of 40 minutes with the 600 minute package. Princess internet is slow but we have not had significant problems. We use our iPhones and iPads to connect and compose and read our email offline using the iOS Mail program. Depending upon what cabin you have you may get better speed in some public areas. The internet may be more problematic if you need to access websites. I have never had good luck using the on board computers. I forgot my computer a number of years ago and wasted almost 30 minutes at one of the ship's computers and was never able to download my email [emoji33] I remembered I had my new iPhone with and used it effectively for the rest of the cruise [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got off the dawn princess...Internet is very slow...you have to be very careful to log off after use...however the guy in the Internet cafe restored about 300 minutes when I explained my error...without a lot of argument....and he carefully answered questions....there is a lot of free Internet in the ports.

Agree with Clark about making sure you log off - we found it to be a bit dodgy in that respect. Speed-wise, we found it to be very dependent on location. Out on deck it was good, quite fast - in my cabin (an OV on Emerald deck), it was slightly slower, but more than adequate for keeping up with email and the like, but parents cabin - balcony, I think was on Caribe, they had near zero signal and so slow you couldn't connect.

Definitely purchase beforehand if you're going to buy a pack...I know you don't get as many bonus minutes buying onboard - could be wrong but I think it's only 50% of what you get prepurchasing.

s the price the same on board the ship or is better to buy them pre-cruise?

Price is the same before the cruise or on the ship. Only the number of bonus minutes is different with the higher amount being with the pre-cruise purchase.

By the way, the bonus when purchasing on board is only when purchasing the package the first of couple of days of the cruise. After that there is no bonus.

As to speed, it will usually be faster after mid-night when most people are sleeping instead of using the Internet. At best speed will be like a good dial-up speed used to be at home.

And, as others have said, be sure to logoff each time when you are finished. When you log off successfully, you will see a summary of your usage. If you have a problem logging off, see the Internet manager to get any lost minutes back.