Weight limit for snorkeling??!!

fuzzylady1980

My husband and I are going to Belize in July and want to go on the Sharks, Rays and Barrier Reef break excursion. The excursion is supposed to be a boatride to the reef and snorkeling. However we noticed a 275# weight limit.. why? I called Carnival and they couldn't explain why either. They said that the weight limit was set by the company that runs the excursion and told me to email shoreexcursions@carnival.com for more info. (yes I have and no response yet. Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks.

Bring your own snorkel vest and other equipment and they won't say anything. Most snorkel vest can easily support well over 300 lbs.

I hate to argue with you, but you may not be able to refuse to use their safety gear-snorkel vest. Most of the vendors are required by their liability insurance to have every person wear one. If someone drowns, heaven forbid, they can get sued, and yes it does happen. Every snorkel excursion I have been on REQUIRED that everyone wear their snorkel vest.

I hate to argue with you, but you may not be able to refuse to use their safety gear-snorkel vest. Most of the vendors are required by their liability insurance to have every person wear one. If someone drowns, heaven forbid, they can get sued, and yes it does happen. Every snorkel excursion I have been on REQUIRED that everyone wear their snorkel vest.

Just because you have to wear one doesn't mean you can't use your own. We have not used vendor provided gear in 15 years and no one ever says a thing, as long as we have a vest and the other things we need.

On the topic of snorkeling and weight, I've always snorkeled from the beach but never went on one of the catamaran's but am thinking of trying it on our next cruise. My concern is that I'm over 250 pounds and have a bum knee so I'm worried about getting out of the water and back onto the boat. Are the steps on these boats typically ladders that go straight down or steps? How far do the steps go down into the water?

I don't want to be embarrassed if I can't get back onto the boat. lol

On the topic of snorkeling and weight, I've always snorkeled from the beach but never went on one of the catamaran's but am thinking of trying it on our next cruise. My concern is that I'm over 250 pounds and have a bum knee so I'm worried about getting out of the water and back onto the boat. Are the steps on these boats typically ladders that go straight down or steps? How far do the steps go down into the water?

I don't want to be embarrassed if I can't get back onto the boat. lol

We have only done one snorkel tour from a catamaran, that was in Cozumel, Fury Catamarans. They have a set of stairs that you can walk down into and out of water. Very easy. I am guessing MOST catamarans are the same design, but can't say for sure.

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2017 at 2:34 AM, fuzzylady1980 said:

My husband and I are going to Belize in July and want to go on the Sharks, Rays and Barrier Reef break excursion. The excursion is supposed to be a boatride to the reef and snorkeling. However we noticed a 275# weight limit.. why? I called Carnival and they couldn't explain why either. They said that the weight limit was set by the company that runs the excursion and told me to email shoreexcursions@carnival.com for more info. (yes I have and no response yet. Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks.

I know this is a super old post but I have the same question... I'm wondering what you found out.  I read the same restriction but for NCL.  I have snorkeled several times and there was never a weight limit.  I'm a good swimmer and have no problems floating or treading water.

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, fuzzylady1980 said:

We chose a different excursion.  It was the best cruise!

Thanks.  One of my sisters wants to go snorkeling and has never been.  I did talk to the folks at NCL so I just have to follow up with the excursions group.  She told me they use a couple different tour operators.  We'll see.