Help -New to Carniva

handwcruisers

I am doing Carnival cruise in Nov on Sensation after dry dock this year - switching from Royal because of a charter cruise we are going on. Would like to know some in's and out's of Carnival.

Have a handicapped room but don't always use the wheelchair. So would like to know things like - what is their policy on carrying cases of water on board - what might be different about boarding - special line or boarding for handicap - was given late dining (early was not available ) - what are chances of getting it changed before or after boarding - rules concerning bringing a small fan - bringing a multiple socket/usb plug. - any special foods to not miss getting - have heard it is hard to get from one end of ship to another without some difficulty - how is it getting an elevator - any other Carnival info that might help

I am doing Carnival cruise in Nov on Sensation after dry dock this year - switching from Royal because of a charter cruise we are going on. Would like to know some in's and out's of Carnival.

Have a handicapped room but don't always use the wheelchair. So would like to know things like - what is their policy on carrying cases of water on board - what might be different about boarding - special line or boarding for handicap - was given late dining (early was not available ) - what are chances of getting it changed before or after boarding - rules concerning bringing a small fan - bringing a multiple socket/usb plug. - any special foods to not miss getting - have heard it is hard to get from one end of ship to another without some difficulty - how is it getting an elevator - any other Carnival info that might help

I'm sure you'll get some more comprehensive answers as the more dedicated cruisers wake up. But I'll do the best I can!

* Water is NOT ALLOWED to be brought on board, unless it's in cans. Other non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in groups of 12 containers (cans or boxes - not bottles, which are prohibited) of 12 ounces or less. You can buy water for use on board before your cruise - 12 bottles for $4.50.

* The odds on getting your chosen dining time are decent by either getting on the waiting list or seeing the maitre d' when you board.

* Small fans are OK as long as they're in decent shape.

* Socket/USB plugs are allowed as long as they DO NOT have a circuit breaker.

* One of Carnival's iconic dishes is the warm chocolate melting cake in the MDR. I didn't think much of it the one time I had it, but there are lots of fans of it here and elsewhere. As for main dishes, I thought the short ribs and prime rib were excellent, though I don't think there was anything special about them - just well prepared and tasty. The steakhouse steaks are great, though they're an extra cost option in the MDR.

* Always keep in mind that Carnival is about FUN and the many ways to enjoy yourself.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Welcome to Carnival!

As the previous poster said, you can carry on up to 12 units per person of non-alcoholic drinks as long as they are in cans or cartons.

You can go see the Maitre d' on the first day regarding your dining time. There is a priority list for persons who wish to change, your request will be processed after theirs.

Feel free to bring a fan, extension cord, or power strip in good shape. They cannot contain a surge protector.

The Sensation is pretty easy to get around. You won't have any issues at all. Pack your patience for the elevators, though. Your ability to get one quickly will depend entirely on how polite your fellow cruisers are, and that varies from cruise to cruise.

Make sure you enjoy all the food offerings, but we almost always eat in the MDR. I enjoy being waited on :) The Warm Melting Chocolate Cake is wonderful, and I'm not a huge fan of chocolate!

I'm sure you'll get some more comprehensive answers as the more dedicated cruisers wake up. But I'll do the best I can!

* Water is NOT ALLOWED to be brought on board, unless it's in cans. Other non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in groups of 12 containers (cans or boxes - not bottles, which are prohibited) of 12 ounces or less. You can buy water for use on board before your cruise - 12 bottles for $4.50.

* The odds on getting your chosen dining time are decent by either getting on the waiting list or seeing the maitre d' when you board.

* Small fans are OK as long as they're in decent shape.

* Socket/USB plugs are allowed as long as they DO NOT have a circuit breaker.

* One of Carnival's iconic dishes is the warm chocolate melting cake in the MDR. I didn't think much of it the one time I had it, but there are lots of fans of it here and elsewhere. As for main dishes, I thought the short ribs and prime rib were excellent, though I don't think there was anything special about them - just well prepared and tasty. The steakhouse steaks are great, though they're an extra cost option in the MDR.

* Always keep in mind that Carnival is about FUN and the many ways to enjoy yourself.

Have a wonderful cruise.

*Bummer about the water - I have to have my bottled water

*Have already asked the charter agency to put me on the wait list for early dinner and if we don't get it before boarding the maître d' will be our 1st stop when we board - I really need early for health reasons. But then if we don't get it till late am afraid we will get crappy seats for the shows. The travel agency that is handling the cruise has it set up so that the seats area assigned by when you booked except for the suites and a couple of other categories. And the shows are part of what we are all on board for.

*Fan is brand new and runs on batteries and so don't have to worry about the plugs

*The plug we are using does not have a surge protector, so we are good there

* Thanks for the dinner suggestions. We are pretty easy to please and I did read that after dry dock they are adding some extra restaurants.

* And we differently plan to have a good time. This cruise is all people who love and a passionate about the group Celtic Thunder. Look them up and watch some of their YouTube music. Plus there are lots of more Irish groups that CT has invited along with an Irish dance group. So all the entertainment on board will be Irish in some way including the karaoke and the pool music, etc. And everyone on board loves the lads of Celtic Thunder. This is their 3rd CT cruise but 1st one on Carnival and on top of that it's their 10 year anniversary as a group.

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. Am looking forward to others. Plus I am sure I will have other questions I think of.

Welcome to Carnival!

As the previous poster said, you can carry on up to 12 units per person of non-alcoholic drinks as long as they are in cans or cartons.

You can go see the Maitre d' on the first day regarding your dining time. There is a priority list for persons who wish to change, your request will be processed after theirs.

Feel free to bring a fan, extension cord, or power strip in good shape. They cannot contain a surge protector.

The Sensation is pretty easy to get around. You won't have any issues at all. Pack your patience for the elevators, though. Your ability to get one quickly will depend entirely on how polite your fellow cruisers are, and that varies from cruise to cruise.

Make sure you enjoy all the food offerings, but we almost always eat in the MDR. I enjoy being waited on :) The Warm Melting Chocolate Cake is wonderful, and I'm not a huge fan of chocolate!

Thanks for your response. Some of the things I am familiar with we have cruised Royal for years and am used to dealing with the elevator, because of my disability I can't really use the stairs.

On sea days the brunch is good.

I like the steak and eggs especially.

I had read something about a brunch on sea days. On Royal breakfast was served in the dining room and what they call the Windjammer. Is the Lido the same as the Windjammer? Do they have omelet stations?

Okay more questions

I have heard something about assigned boarding times. Is that true. I also read that there is early boarding for suites, and the higher up in rewards groups. Is there any special boarding for handicapped or should I get something called TFFT?

You can order cases of water ahead of time from the fun shops and have it delivered to your room. Roughly $3.99 a case.

Also you can email the maitre d before the cruise with your dining request change. Someone is bound to know the email because I've seen it posted plenty of times.

You may even call the special needs department if you need early dining for a health reason. They might be able to take care of it right away.

Thanks for all the info so far. Said I would have more questions.

Yes I did find the e-mail for the maître d'

How is the muster drill, I know on Royal they had started having some of the stations meet inside and just go over things. I will probably be in my wheelchair for that one, can't stand in one place for very long with just my cane.

Will plan on ordering the water.

How are the beds? I know on Royal some of the ships have been getting changed to new beds and they have been a bit to firm for most people's liking.

Has anyone ever been on a charter cruise, I guess I am going to have to call the company that is putting it on and find out if I have to go thru them for request, etc or if I can go straight to Carnival, like for things like the table arrangenent

Okay more questions

I have heard something about assigned boarding times. Is that true. I also read that there is early boarding for suites, and the higher up in rewards groups. Is there any special boarding for handicapped or should I get something called TFFT?

What you have heard about is staggered check-in times. I'm sure that since you are on a charter, they will take care of all of the timing issues for you. Not all ports have staggered check-in at this time.

As far as boarding is concerned, previously those with special needs have boarded after weddings/Diamond/Platinum/FTTF; however, I have recently been informed of a change in that format and special needs are boarding with their numbered boarding group (you are assigned a number when you check in at the port based on the time you arrive to check in). I don't know if that is at all ports or not.

My hubby uses a wheelchair or scooter most of the time (on the last 4 cruises) - and for the Muster drill - check at the front desk. They usually have a separate place you can go for the drill. Sometimes the Library. Last year, on the pride - it was down by the Piano Bar. They should be able to tell you at the desk.

Thanks for all the info so far. Said I would have more questions.

Yes I did find the e-mail for the maître d'

How is the muster drill, I know on Royal they had started having some of the stations meet inside and just go over things. I will probably be in my wheelchair for that one, can't stand in one place for very long with just my cane.

Will plan on ordering the water.

How are the beds? I know on Royal some of the ships have been getting changed to new beds and they have been a bit to firm for most people's liking.

Has anyone ever been on a charter cruise, I guess I am going to have to call the company that is putting it on and find out if I have to go thru them for request, etc or if I can go straight to Carnival, like for things like the table arrangenent

When you first get on the ship, your room steward will generally stop by to introduce him or herself to you. That's when you should ask them where you should go for the muster drill. Generally there will be a lounge or dining room for anyone in a wheelchair or with special needs to gather. You will still be able to hear all of the captain's directions and announcements. There will be crew in there to show you the life jackets and answer your questions. Since elevators cannot be used once the muster drill begins, I would suggest you head to the appropriate lounge or meeting space at least 15 minutes prior to the drill. Beat the rush! Before my knee surgery, it was extremely difficult for me to stand for the 30-45 minute drill, and they allowed my husband and I to go to the handicapped area to be seated.

Beds on Carnival have always been pretty comfortable for us.

For dining room time, I was able to change our dining from late to early on one of our cruises because I'm diabetic and can't wait until 8:30 at night to start eating. Not sure which ship you are one, but most of them also offer the My Time Dining. Depending on how many sign up for this option, they set aside an appropriate amount of space for you to show up whenever it's convenient for you. This is our preferred dinner timing. Plus, after so many cruises, we also like to dine at the buffet on the Lido deck for dinner to have a more relaxed atmosphere. Similar to the Windjammer.

I think Carnival finally put an end to any beverages being carried onboard in plastic bottles because too many folks were trying to sneak in liquor. We used to bring several plastic bottles of soda and water with us on each cruise. On our last Carnival cruise out of New Orleans, some poor guy had the job of sitting at a table to examine every single bottle of water that people were trying to bring with them. He had to cut open a 24 pack and examine every bottle and shake it to see if there were bubbles in it consistent with liquor or water. Then he had packaging tape for you to reassemble your case of water before proceeding. For the price of about $4.50 for a 12-pack, it's easier to order in advance and have it delivered to your cabin.